My 2011 Suburban Park Prospecting results...

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Guest, Jan 14, 2012.

1. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Yeah, well try imagining if you wife says something like "Yeah that sounds like a good idea" :O

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Need I say anymore... http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-280624.html#p280624

3. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Lucky I have absolutely no impulse to have one of those then!

4. Willow

Willow New Member

Hey auspm, do not forget to stick your detector up against those interested passers by when they ask questions.
    Just say "i am also looking for round 50 cent pieces, you got any at home?"
    you never know, they may do you a good deal.

5. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

... going out this afternoon to have a hunt!

6. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Me too, this thread has inspired me to plunder the free booty! the beach was packed today, the pickin's should be good.

7. skipau

skipau Member Silver Stacker

Yeah .. Silver Stackers has once again caused me pain... stopped in at the shop here today and picked up one of the minelab 305s... got home... wife not so happy!

damn you and you dodgy threads that force me to buy things!

first it was numismatics... and now a bloody metal detector! I should have just stayed away and kept with my nice plain old bullion!

8. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Arh, you would've just spent it on PMs anyway. :)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I look at it this way

You're likely to spend the cash on metals anyhow and whilst this is the long way around doing it you'll get some exercise and fresh air too

I the 3 odd months since I started I've already made back all my outlay and then some as well as shed 10kgs as well

It's cheaper than a membership to a gym. A lot more fun and you can add to your stack in the process. Total win win situation no matter how you look at it

10. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah and you find a few muscles you did'nt know were there, as well. :/

11. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of this in WA, you need a Miner's Right. I got mine today and asked about general detecting at the beach etc... He said you should have one. They are only $25 and the last for life so really everyone should get one anyway. While I was there I also got my Daughter one as well, she was stocked when I got home and showed mine, she then had a sad face because I said everyone who does it needs one, then I showed hers and total beam :)

Each state is different but that is what I was advised for WA DYODD :)

http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/413.aspx

BTW - She is only 8 and a real geologist, what other 8 year old gets a Reference book on Rocks and two mixed sample packs for Xmas and thinks they are her best pressies. So if we can find a few treasures together that would be awesome. Also a little secret I just brought her a couple of meteorites for her birthday next month, she loves space as well :)

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I have a daughter who is about to turn 3. Last week we were talking about the metal detector and explaining how it is used for finding "treasure", like coins and jewellery.

"And meteorites!" she chimed in.

Gotta keep that kid away from Nat Geo channel.

13. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In Victoria, and every other state, you need a Miners Right to prospect for Gold and other minerals. Although it doesnt specify in Vic whether you can detect for coins and relics there are certain areas such as State Parks where you are not allowed to detect full stop. On privately owned land you must have the landholders permission.

I am also unsure about local council regulations. They might ban digging at sporting or play grounds due to potential public liability issues. If someone doesnt refill a hole and a person breaks their leg stepping in it, the council gets sued. This is why some may ban digging. All councils have different regs.

Also you must not disturb any native flora or fauna. Generally if you are fairly neat and careful in what you do and do it in the right places you wont get hassled or busted. But if you get caught making a mess of the environment ie. mining instead of prospecting you could potentially lose all of your prospecting gear plus fines.

A good place for all states to get info is their DSE, DPI, NRE, or whatever you call the Parks and Wildlife in your area.

In Vic a Miners Right costs about $30 for 2 years, or about $90 for 10 years. Not as good value as WA.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

If you're doing the park/beach scene in NSW, you don't need a Miner's Right.

It all differs from state to state.

But in all cases you are not allowed to prospect National Parks - big fines for that sort of thing if you're caught.

But where I am in Syd-a-nee and all of NSW, you are free to detect on any crown land and on private land with permission.

Hoping the weather holds up today, I'm itching to grab some more goldies from that park I hit last week :)

15. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Just around the corner from me is a park with kids play ground gear and a heritage trail running through it. This morning I went out early for a fossick. as soon as I turned the 4500 on the machine went ballistic. No amount of adjustment would shut the thing up. I was just walking back to the car when an elderly gent approached me and said...you wont do much good around here, your standing on a dissused railway line.

16. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

LOL Noob, I can just imagine it, I would have been exactly the same like oh OK :(

17. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Resurrected this thread from the General Discussion archive.

18. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Can you resurrect spanners car thread ? for a bit of variety thers a lot of people here ive noticed that have things with wheels .

19. Sparksey

Sparksey New Member

Hi All,

I know this thread has been quiet for a long time, wanted to say thanks for all the info.

I am thinking about getting into detecting and this thread (and many others) has been very helpful.

I am located in Sydney and planning on starting in beaches and parks....yet to purchase a detector yet so I am getting a bit ahead of myself

All very exciting!

Cheers,

Sparksey