multicuturalism they said, religion of peace they said

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by lshallperish, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lshallperish

lshallperish New Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-...arge-scale-raids-in-sydney-brisbane/5752002?r

Anti-terror operation in Sydney and Brisbane 'thwarted' beheading plot

Arrests in Sydney raids
    The raids are taking place in north-west Sydney. (NSW Police)
    Huge anti-terrorism raids in Sydney and Brisbane

Police say a large-scale anti-terrorism raid in Sydney this morning has foiled a plot to "commit violent acts" in Australia, including a plan to behead a member of the public.

I am a peaceful person but these Islamic people are getting on my nerves now..

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Suspected Islamic terrorists have been arrested by Qld police in the past and have been freed because of a lack of evidence.

I'm a cynical bastard granted, i just find it all too convenient. Or does that make me a conspiracy theorist? :/

I'll have to ask my shrink.

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Makes me wonder just how much is real, and how much is BS used to pass more laws.

4. mmm....shiney!

I think you're a conspiracy theorist willrocks. :lol:

5. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Problem.

Reaction.

Solution.

Nothing to see here folks.

Go about your day.

All is under control.

6. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is that what they told you to say?

7. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Big deal. There's lots of other crime out there every day and even greater chance of me dying by other means (especially random accidents like getting killed by an unlicenced driver while waiting for a bus). There's mentally screwed up idiots out there who'll kill for whimsical or irrational reasons. Tell us something we don't know. :rolleyes:

It's great the police managed to prevent any harm. It sucks that it happened just before yet more illiberal totalitarian police state anti-terror laws are to be debated by parliament. (Noting that this conspiracy was prevented under existing laws not the proposed law.)

Personally I value my liberty, right to travel, right to associate, right to property, right to free speech etc etc far more than the very, very small risk that I may be kidnapped, tortured and/or beheaded by some whackjob. Christ, there's a greater chance my own family and in-laws would do such a thing to me than any of these "terrorists".

8. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Active Member Silver Stacker

Whilst I believe the west including Australia will always be at some threat of a muslim terrorist attack, in the back of my mind I can't help but feel gaining public support to pass metadata retention laws through parliament is at least playing some part in the heightened terror alert and security crackdown with terrorism being used as a pretext to use metadata for more widespread use, particularly through chasing revenue by tracing money flows more efficiently than the laws allows at the moment.

9. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm more afraid of the government's likely response than the chance of being the random victim of a violent psychopath.

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Seems a lot if bother and expense for something that is less likely to kill the average Australian than slipping in the floor in a shopping mall or being hit by a golf ball.

11. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Fellas, if we don't react according to the script (fear and outrage), the next "attack" will be successful, with weeks of prime time replays.

12. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Violence from drug gangs far exceeds anything that was allegedly being planned.
    This is nothing new yet it is overdramatised for the sake of.......selling newspapers and increasing advertising revenue. At the expense of marginalising normal people.

13. mmm....shiney!

The key is not to allow yourself be either marginalised nor normal.

14. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Funny but I see it rather differently. I am VERY happy that these people are off the street and not about to terrorise and then kill some poor slob who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Remember that slob could be you, your son or daughter or best mate. Yes I could be hit by a bus, yes I could be attacked by a "nut job" but one less way for my family, friends or I to get bumped off is all good for me. I thank the police for doing their job and hope they catch some more of these people before the idea of beheading strangers catches on as a way to push their belief system! And no I am not saying that in jest, once they succeed in doing it once it will be very hard to stop it happening again and again.

Just remember if these guys were to succeed on Australian soil, whether it be beheading, shooting or bombing people, the disruption to our lives would be phenomenal. Just have a look at the UK and USA responses after the 2005 bombings and 911.

15. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Its even funnier that there is so little protest when so many are killed by drink drivers every year. The injuries suffered by these people and the impact that it has on families and those that deal with this tragedy every day is not a lot different to a war zone.
    Although such acts are not intentional, those that commit such crimes are culpable which squarely places the blame on their shoulders.
    Is it any worse to kill hundreds and injure thousands of people per year and accept a sincere apology in turn?

16. Gilligan

Gilligan Member

That's exactly what the government want. To have a reason to go down that path. Restrict civil liberties further and impose tighter control, just like their master, i mean comrade, the US.
    Funny how it all happens when the US want to rustle support for a war which we're rejoining, and just before laws are introduced before parliament based on terrorism concerns. All a bit too fishy for my liking.

Hello WW3. Isis will retreat to syria, the US will follow, then Iran will join in as Syria will be threatened. Then China and russia will also join is due to the alliances/defense treaties they have.

17. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Active Member Silver Stacker

800 odd officers, 15 arrests, 1 formally charged so far

18. Yendor

Yendor Member

The only question now, is what do we do with them. They want to kill us because of who we are, not what we do. We can lock them up, but when you let them out they're still going to hate the west (perhaps even more) while also being protected by the freedom and rights it brings.

19. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Waiting for comments about excessive government spending....

20. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmm so the government really stuffed up this time then! They definitely trod on their collective schlongs when they rounded up these guys BEFORE they killed someone. I mean wouldn't letting a terrorist attack succeed be the EASIEST way to garner support for tougher laws? That is, of course, if it is all just a conspiracy to get these tougher laws passed..... Then again maybe there really is a bunch of people beheading, raping, enslaving and generally causing grief over there in the middle east. And maybe some of those people are Australian and will quite likely decide to return here or even be sent back here to give all us poor heathens the good oil on the benefits of their beliefs. Would be nice if they could be detained on arrival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.