MS69 Panda - stained

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by octapotamus, Oct 17, 2011.

1. octapotamus

octapotamus Member Silver Stacker

So I just received a PCGS MS69 2010 Panda, and the temple side has what looks like rust staining on it. Yes, those orange stains are on the actual coin. These photos were taken with my phone, I'll take some better macro ones when I get home.

Is there any way that: this staining could have occurred inside the capsule after being graded? or; that this coin would have been graded MS69, with obvious stains?

It's puzzling to me how this could occur. Could the coin have been switched with a real MS69 after being graded?

I do not consider this coin to be of MS69 quality and am probably going to open a dispute with the seller, but just want to be sure before I do.

What are your thoughts, Panda-heads?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

The MS69 grade ignores all toning and white spots, so even white spotted and toned Pandas could in theory grade a 69.

3. octapotamus

Oh really, OK. Seems weird but OK. No wonder there's such a big leap in price from MS69 to MS70. I'll keep it then. Thanks.

4. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

What a bugger! If it was me, I would dispute it as well, you should have been informed of the condition before it was sold. Regardless of wether the grading company ignores these 'blemishes', it will affect resale value - would you have paid what you did for it if you had known about the discolouration? Probably not.

I am no expert on these things, so this is just my opinion.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Even 70 can have white spots I think... the grading companies don't consider the spots at all (when assigning grading) as far as I know.

Don't have any 70s though so can't say for certain, I'm sure comeaux or the other slabbed panda experts will clarify this though.

6. octapotamus

Ya that was my thinking AndyRoo.

Seems to me that if a coin can be graded MS69, second highest of the Mint State gradings then it should be ALMOST flawless. I thought the point of grading was to quantify the qualities of a given coin, placing it on a scale by which to value it.

One MS69 2010 Panda should be as good as another of identical grade, right? Apparently not.. There seems to be room for interpretation still, which I thought the grading process was meant to avoid.

I will contact the seller. I don't want to pass this problem on to someone else when the time comes to sell.

7. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

This is not normal toning, additionally, white spots are not close to original condition.
    According to their own website this coin would not have received a 69 grade.

http://www.pcgs.com/Articles/Detail/5643

8. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

I agree with the above and would definitely query this coin.. Disappointing.

9. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Heehe... Maybe I should send my 2000 Mirrored Panda with tiny speck to PCGS for grading :)

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_am9ds.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_2512.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_2502.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

10. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

IMO ... This coin would not have graded 69 ... these issues probably occured AFTER it was encapsulated.

I'm not sure what PCGS guarantee is but if it were my coin in an NGC holder I would send it back for appearnce review ... get my money back or better coin

11. octapotamus

Thanks guys. I've contacted the seller so we'll see what happens. It is disappointing. They either noticed the marks and decided to send it anyway, or were careless enough to send it off without checking it first. Stay tooned.. :/