More money than cents

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Black_Sun, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Its both sad and funny at the same time. A single coin has just been sold in the forum for more than $100 more than you can easily buy from a big australian bullion dealer, and the dealer has no shortage of them. :lol: SS guys will pay anything it seems.

2. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Who's this aimed at, the buyer or the seller?

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

OOOOHHH you are a [​IMG]

You have to point out these things don't you
    Were you the seller ,do you know the whole deal :rolleyes:
    What's it any of your business

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And very quickly edited twice to tame it down :rolleyes:

5. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Both. I won't say who it is; that's not necessary.

I could not live with myself doing something like this. This is a local aussie dealer. If someone is doing pooled deal, buying from overseas, and adding a charge, fair enough, this is a fair deal. But from within the country, adding $100 to a single coin. That's not fair.

As to the buyer, please educate yourself, cause you're not doing the whole precious metals / numismatics scene, any favours.

6. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

true

7. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

the problem is, that when the precious metals fever rises, I can see that SS is a place where easy money can be made. even by people who know scarcely anything about coins. I would recommend that unemployed kids start selling coins, here.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Based on one sale which you weren't directly involved in...

bit of a reach.

9. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have no involvment in the sale and shall make no further comment.

10. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

not really. I've spotted plenty of sales offers here, where I could have brought the exact same product, right then & there for a discount buying online elsewhere (within australia). But this is the largest excess I've seen on a single coin. The terms of the deal were clearly laid out and the price was explicitly stated as being NOT flexible. NOT flexible means exactly that; well at least, that was my interpretation.

My problem is NOT with vintage bars, old issues (eg. Lunar I), or overseas purchases. These are different. the problem I have is with stuff that is available locally, and in sizable quantity, being brought & sold here for (sometimes) big profit. SS is a place where I would like to be able to recommend to my friends & family to come and buy here, because they can get a fair deal. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this, because they might be completely ripped off. Maybe I'm just too sensitive :rolleyes:

11. Jislizard

I didn't see the sale you were talking about so I can't comment on individual sales (Now I sound like a politician).

I have noticed the other way around, in fact Thucy had a thread on it, he can get more money on eBay than he can get on silver stackers, at least for numismatics, at that includes after fees have been taken out.

12. Jislizard

Bring your friends and family, just educate them first.

If someone offers an item for sale which is readily available elsewhere it is not as if they have a gun to the head of the buyer.

As long as your folks know the value of an item and they have a notion of where to find information they will be safe.

PS well done on getting them interested in the first place, at best mine think I am eccentric, at worst...

13. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

I agree, hence many sales threads that stay up for eternity. Way over priced and the seller would never budge on price. Comes down to where they are getting their coins from. SS is more of a secondary market where many are adding the cream on top.

14. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

There are quite a few very savvy buyers/sellers here, who would definitely not fall for anything like this. Those guys can take care of themselves. But sadly, there are lots of people who are vulnerable. Ebay's another story.

15. metalzzz

Still lots of sellers offering fair deals though I must add

16. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

yes, in absolute agreement with you here. Some of the best deals in Australia are to be found here, as is some very good service on overseas deals and expert panda advise. I love SS, its a great place. Still... there will always be some sales that annoy me. Can't have it all. Some places you'll find both devils and angels mingling together.

17. Jislizard

This forum is way more than just sales threads.

It is full of information, I had an idea about silver stacking before I found the site (I was actually looking for a way to stack my silver which is how Google found this place for me). But I have learned a lot about precious metals, and the people who stack them.

Anyone who has taken time to read through the threads and the stickies has more than enough information to make an informed decision. It is a bit daunting to go through the old threads, took me about a week, and at the time I was only interested in the silver coins section.

Anyone who jumps in without doing any research or asking any questions, what can you do for them?

18. metalzzz

Stay here long enough an you wisen up. I'm still learning as I go, wasting money sometimes with mistakes.

19. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

True. And we never pretended that we are like boy scouts, having a code of honour :cool:

If you come here unprepared and uninformed, then you might end up getting mugged. :cool:

20. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

If you are that concerned about this, why not actually bring it to the sellers attention (politely) and see what they have to say about it.

There may, in fact, be a legitimate reason for the premium / discrepancy (such as the grade of the coin) or a dealer suddenly wanting to shift stock and selling cheaply (which the seller may not have been aware of) ... then again it may be just be rampant profiteering by the seller.

If the former, then the buyer may be happy with the premium they paid and/or prefer dealing with a member of the forum rather than an external company.

If the latter, those sort of practices aren't going to win any fans here and will likely result in re-bumped sales threads, but SS is a free market ... and most people here are pretty clued up as to what a coin is worth, or can always ask another member, check the internet etc (in short dyodd).

I am sure have all overpaid for coins in our collection, for one reason or another. I guess the severity of this depends how much the coin was worth.
    Paying $100 extra for say a painted dragon is going to seem a lot worse than if it were a 1 oz gold kangaroo or lunar.