Monitoring the Crypto Bubble

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by Bullion Baron, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
?

Where do you think we are in the crypto bubble?

1. Very early (years left to run)

21.1%
  2. Around the middle (could still run for months or a year)

38.0%
  3. Very late (could end within days/weeks)

23.9%
  4. It's not a bubble

16.9%
  1. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Still no discussion?
    I’d would have thought hedge funds selling out would be a big deal.

2. inmizu

inmizu Active Member

' . . . an absolutely devastating blow to the cryptocurrency industry . . . '

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...n-unprecedented-crackdown-on-cryptocurrencies

Morning, Ipv!

If I may, a 'broader' answer:

sooooo many folks on Planet Krypto today are recent arrivals -- and welcome to them all!!

So they are as yet unused to the unbelievable lop-sidedness of 'news' on the Planet. Note also that newcomers very much tend to get their news from sources 'closer to the outside,' and 'outside journalism' has for years been guilty of the most amazing mis-representations -- not to mention brazen lies.

Note also -- so few people are attuned to this -- that not-front-of-house trading ('OTC') is now solidly dominant.

Perhaps for most folks, every day in recent months is Drama Day, and Bitcoin is 'battered' and 'plummeting.' But for the long-timers -- who traded the entire time through the Big Sideways that lasted over a year and a half after the 2013 spike -- it's water off a duck's back!

Ipv6Ready and mmm....shiney! like this.
  3. Ipv6Ready

I think on the balance reporting ledger, there has been much more positive mainstream news about crypto than negative.

What drives the news and without GOOD/BRILLIANT news would btc have reached $18K

When is it bad news... when Bloomberg sites Cointelegraph or when Cointelegraph sites Bloomberg

When I first mined, if i got less than few bitcoins a day, it was a bad day. Wish I kept them all and continued mining, but alas in those days it was waste of gaming time.
    But did get back in at $600 a coin and sold it way to soon, still had $5000 usd to go, but I digress.

Where we differ in valuation of crypto is, without buyers of crypto with fiat, the value of crypto is nought.
    Mining or blockchain does not create any value, only fiat buyers and seller of crypto makes a market.

In the field I work in, the value of LINUX is zero but we run multi billion dollar operations on LINUX.

4. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

One big problem with cryptos: they're damn complicated to understand and too hard for the average person

5. inmizu

inmizu Active Member

'One big problem with cryptos: they're damn complicated to understand and too hard for the average person'

Absolutely could not agree more
    . But I will help all who ask how to tackle the stripped-down-adoption model we have forged.

oziwassabi likes this.
  6. TreasureHunter

A new platform and a more transparent infrastructure could help.

I am not a crypto investor, I missed the boat. But technically, they're admirable!

7. inmizu

inmizu Active Member

'A new platform and a more transparent infrastructure could help.'

Astute insight.

Setting up and securing a basic wallet for a basic crypto is not so hard.

But the arrogance of the geeks (who were arrogant computer geeks before they become arrogant crypto geeks . . . ), and the lack of thoroughness that haunts decentralisation, and the scramble for sale-able fangledness, have made finding that basic crypto very hard.

8. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

By saying that, you are admitting what 95% of "investors" in crypto were banking on: the greater fool theory. Don't worry, if you want to invest in that manner, there are opportunities fairly often. But usually, once you hear of them, the window has closed - or is rapidly shutting.

...as for the few who really believed in crypto as a solid concept and solid tech, then they should still be investing in the tech. Personally, I think it was doomed before it started, but that's just me. It was very shaky since it was a currency based on nothing of real value, suspect due to a highly ambiguous mining supply/creation myth, in trouble due to slow transaction times, and even if it overcame those hurdles... still definitely marked for ultimate death since it was challenging a concept (currency supply) which is run by ruling monopoly groups with guns and social control tools beyond belief. Well, hopefully they can use the lessons learned and the concept of digital leger for some future concept (likely outside of currency realm, though).

9. inmizu

inmizu Active Member

'based on nothing of real value'

'marked for ultimate death'

Readers, crypto geeks mark this sort of 'generic dismissal' post as trolling. If one posts no reply, the dismissal seems to be validated.

But any reply that you do post would be long, and require significant referencing (an hour's work on my part); but is a l m o s t certainly not going to be intelligently replied to by the original poster. More likely, the discourse will spiral out of control.

And if you just delete posts like this, then you look like an authoritarian.

Brendio and oziwassabi like this.
  10. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

welcome to silver stackers, reflective of most stackers opinion of crypto, simply regret they missed out on the biggest money making opportunity and still dont want to join the party.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  11. Ipv6Ready

For most stackers, it’s a money losing venture.

Becuase many buy and hold

12. inmizu

inmizu Active Member

'simply regret they missed out on the biggest money making opportunity'

Agreed. But the sense is that of Big Easy Money. But there are plenty of coins/markets where you can patiently learn to make money. Cryptos aren't going away.

13. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're right in some ways, cryptos are a pump and dump thing. The strategy is different from "stacking".

14. Ipv6Ready

I’d say one needs to be an active trader to make money, until the next boom.

Many don’t learn, my home land there is a generation of millenials who have mountain of debt they would be paying of for decades.

15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Nothing wrong with that strategy, we've been over this many times. You can't pick the bottom nor the top. The sensible strategy is to take profits when available. That's about it, and buy sound projects i.e. not MIOTA.

16. inmizu

inmizu Active Member

My outfit is plugging steadily away. The stability of crypto prices is a new and fascinating thing -- gotta understand this futures thing!

We're studying anonymous addresses and paper-wallet generators.

And running a project with some guys in Venezuela

This is a fair crypto-news site: https://news.bitcoin.com/

17. TreasureHunter

Pseudo-currencies that have no backing whatsoever. Worse than fiat and they consume damn much electricity.

Bitcoin is already costing terribly much and the demand is slumping. It's use hasn't spread as many have suggested.

Those who own it are already paying a lot for electricity just for their wallet to update. This is terrible.

18. inmizu

inmizu Active Member

'electricity just for their wallet to update' Nuh.

19. inmizu

inmizu Active Member

20. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

However electricity consumption for mining bitcoin has put it out of economical reach of most countries. From what I can find (eg https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/china/) China represents approximately 70% of the mining.

So what happens if China bans mining by blocking data? (as per Korea) or demands miners only validate a Yuan crypto coin/token and nothing else? other people/countries can then mine cryptos easier (less miners means less difficulty) and you expect the price not to fall?

Don't get me wrong, I do think blockchain/hashgraph are amazing concepts with the distributed ledger. There are many uses but not directly as a currency.