Monitoring the Crypto Bubble

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by Bullion Baron, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
?

Where do you think we are in the crypto bubble?

1. Very early (years left to run)

21.1%
  2. Around the middle (could still run for months or a year)

38.0%
  3. Very late (could end within days/weeks)

23.9%
  4. It's not a bubble

16.9%
  1. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

ah thats the reason i stopped posting crypto related stuff here, back in the box.

2. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

haha I'm sorry, ill stay away. :) Each to their own.

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I bought into increment. Don’t think anyone else is doing what they plan as of yet, I think Metacert has plans down the track but it’s a way off.

4. mmm....shiney!

Strawman really. There’s no advantage in putting lemoncoin on a blockchain. It would be unlikely to attract much interest.

5. mmm....shiney!

If you have to ask that question then you don’t really understand the pointlessness of the comic.

6. mmm....shiney!

I don’t think it’s particularly clever that’s why I don’t find it amusing.

But value is subjective after all.

7. leo25

Looks like it's about to do another big dump down. Still very little volume, so it's going to be ugly.

crypto cap.jpg

8. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I still watch my daily videos from the few people I follow on YT and check the subbreddits of the coins I hold just to stay in the loop with what is happening with Crypto, but it's a definitely a "come back in 6 months" sort of thing for me, because I expect the next few months at least to be much of the same which is great for skilled day traders, I'm sure they're making a killing still, but for someone like me who is a hodler I'm just like whatever, I'll keep holdling. If anything I'll probably top up my existing bags at some stage soon too

Haven't done a trade in a long time - everything I have in crypto is 100% profit so I'm just holding those bags long term because it's all a freeroll for me, but I definitely expect things to start pumping again but probably not in the short term, which is completely fine - I've got plenty of other things to keep me occupied :)

precious roar and leo25 like this.
  9. mmm....shiney!

Impossible to predict.

10. mmm....shiney!

You can't compare the "educated" guesses in this market with educated guesses in the other long established asset classes because the crypto market is too volatile and subject to far more FUD news/rumour and FOMO than any other. Today's educated guess can be blown out of the water completely by a single Tweet tomorrow.

I think the only thing you can do is identify those coins which may have long term potential, and we've talked endlessly about those in other threads so I don't see the need to duplicate in this thread what has been posted elsewhere. I don't make educated guesses about the short term nature of this market, I leave that to others who make a living from it and I follow their advice, for better hopefully, but sometimes for worse as they've been wrong too, and many of those times it was entirely unpredictable. I've got my long term positions and I've got my constantly changing trading positions. The hardest thing is resisting the temptation to turn those successful trading positions into long term holds, though I'm considering doing exactly that with my BNB I bought a few weeks ago. There you go, I guess I forgot to take my own advice on board and posted an opinion about a token in this thread of yours instead of the alt-coin thread where it should belong.

Yep wrong call. But if you had a deeper look you'll also see I was calling it a bubble before you put out your not so anonymous poll, I then had a change of heart (more based upon exuberance than good sense) which turned out to be wrong. Meh, I'll get over it.

I take a long term view, I think dozerz has posted about this before with a mocked up chart he did. In 5 years time the "bubble" you give yourself so much credit for having timely started a thread about may only have been a pimple. :cool:

11. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yeap, way to pick a bubble trend over a 6 month period for something that has been around since 2009, next time try zooming out.

willrocks and mmm....shiney! like this.
  12. leo25

Since cryptos are a heavily manipulated and small market it's hard to know where true market value is. But if i had to guess i would say another 50% lower from where we are today.(bitcoin $4000 and total market cap 150B USD)

I think the bear market will last most of this year at best. Worst case is all cryptos fail to find a good scaling solution and it never takes off again and remains as a small niche market.

As to what will survive, i have no idea. But my guess is 99% of them will become so irreverent that they would be close to dead.

Bullion Baron likes this.
  13. mmm....shiney!

Have you always had comprehension problems? Or does it only happen when you feel threatened?

14. mmm....shiney!

I’m happy with that.

What are your educated guesses then? I’ve given BNB as a long term. Their plans to decentralise (I don’t understand the technology behind that move) and their move to Malta.

Maybe RE in Malta is a good long term prospect as well from what I’ve heard.

15. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Another factor for crypto in the immediate future is IRS and Tax

Coinbase lost a federal judgement and had to release to IRS trading data earlier in the year of US citizens.

This will have many passive investor out cold, who sold out near the top.
    As many would not have traded enough to claim they are a day trader, nor applied for withholding tax excemption

Meaning many will need to pay tax on gains.

The issue is many might have spent/cashed out 50% and could potentially have to sell it to pay the tax.

My reading is people who applied for withholding tax exemption won’t be happy either but they are more likely to be much more tax savvy.

16. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

17. Ipv6Ready

Where do you think new money will come from now, since ICO is now a dirty word.

A year ago to till late December last year, everyone was mad about ICOs, much like IPO was to the tech boom.
    Basically a feeding frenzy seeking out any ICOs which drove up ETH which fed BTC to the moon.
    Now, that ICO is a dirty word what will drive ETH to feed BTC

Its not like its easy to even advertise ICO anymore with FB and Google ad bans... is word of mouth enough to whip stoke ETH again. Bearing in mind, the get rich quick bandwagons followers like, hairdressers, teenage girls and boys on youtube, mums and dads who all jumped on late are bleeding.

18. mmm....shiney!

There are plans by some to introduce an escrow type service using blockchain technology to ensure transparency and payments subject to the achievement of goals.

The intention of the devs is to eradicate scams.

Ipv6Ready likes this.
  19. Ipv6Ready

Though my point is that, ALL ico are just a pumping vehicle. All an ICO is just a derivative of free technology, where one blockchain, is just another blockchain much like any other blockchain.

You could even say ETH is a pumping vehicle. Because nothing tangible other than "When will the price go up again" is the driving force.

Purely looking at Technology it is a fail, look at bitcoins the grand daddy of decentralised utopia of people money.

Everyone who goes on and on about it is deluding themselves of the fact or ignoring the future they see clearly of few centralised Chinese ASIC companies whose only means to make money is to charge for transactions.

20. mmm....shiney!

Sorry mate, I don’t follow you. An ICO is just a means by which a team raise funds to help them develop a product. Investors are rewarded for their faith by being able to secure a crypto at what is hoped to be a discount. Exactly the same as purchasing a unit off-the-plan.

The plan in this case is the white paper which outlines the goals etc and a road map. The escrow service I mentioned previously holds investors funds, releasing them at previously agreed points once the devs have achieved certain goals on the road map.

Have a look at incremint.io

Soprano16 likes this.