Mining shares for super

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by show-me-the-metal, Jan 12, 2011.

1. show-me-the-metal

show-me-the-metal New Member

Hi, I will be buying some shares for my super next week. Could anyone recommend who has the best outlook? I remember someone mentioned CCU. Which has risen nicely. Also are there any gold market stock tips? I live in Australia.

Thanks

2. Agauholic

Agauholic New Member

3. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

GBG looking strong currently in infrastructure mode will export iron ore to China when operating.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Technically recommendations can't be made on the forum unless by a licensed financial adviser - but discussion of mining stocks and outlooks is fine - just not recommendations.

5. crom

crom New Member

What a question!

Time for my first real post. Perhaps this post could be turned into a number of seperate threads if members are interested in discussing individual stocks more.

I hold 26 mining stocks of which 11 are Gold. I follow many others.

No ego here, but I have very good success.

One thing I have had to come to terms with is that no matter how good a stock, wealth can be destroyed by events unrelated to the stock, and as such I no longer solely hold but trade/hold.

My aim is to take profits and buy back the stock in increased amounts.

The prob you have at the moment show me the metal is that many stocks are around 12 month highs. With a super fund you can afford to hold and wait for growth but you should really then be looking for some divs.

Sooooo, my no 1 super fund stock is BHP (hopefully it doesn't implode trying to buy out massive companies that don't want to be bought out!)

Some of the gold stocks I have I am now trading as I feel they have already reached targetted highs (GRY, ADU, IGR). However they are good stocks!

Two I continue to acummulate are ALD and CAH, even though they are near 12 month highs. I was going to do a post on CAH after I joined but it jumped before I had the chance. Luckily I had already made substantial new additions.

Both these stocks could be good for your super fund as I believe they have a lot further to run. Do your own research but I think ALD is a superior managed company and I am adding like mad on every sp retreat.

Another of interest is Sierra mining, as Barrick Gold has teamed up with it. I do not own YET, but am doing my own research. I love the PNG Gold story and made my biggest ever trades on LHG.

I also hold very high spec gold shares but these would not suit your question.

Additionally, I hold some great mining stocks in other areas which I think are great stories with excellent potential.

Mining shares are fascinating growth stories at the moment, but without being a pain in the A, many needed to be bought earlier. I believe one of the golden rules is buy low sell high, so do your own research. Many mining stocks are running at big premiums. You have to look no further than the West African story where many shares have increased100's of percents, yet still have no production or infrastructure in place.

I will stop here but this is an area I love so happy to discuss and start new threads etc.

By the way, carved up GXY today! Mining shares and stories, gotta love em!