Milk spots

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by TJD1949, Feb 13, 2013.

1. TJD1949

TJD1949 New Member

Is there a reason for those milkspots?? Does all Canadian silver do that??

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Found this using Mr Google
    Happens to a significant amount of their coins such as Maples, Wildlife etc and to varying degrees.

Use the search function for more info
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-5403-removing-milk-spots-from-coins-rounds.html

3. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

i got a bunch of buffaloes a while back, and pretty quickly they got milk spots... not just a few little spots.. pretty much the whole of the rounds are one giant milk spot. it ain't pretty but at least it is low premium stuff.

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

What I cannot understand is why the Canadian Mint continue to use what they are using. Surely they are aware of it. It has to damage their brand even if they are selling record amounts. I for one won't even bother. I have 2 for my World Bullion collection but that is it. Great coin, crappy result though.

Yes it does happen to some others as well, however once you start in the Silver market youlearn pretty quick that Maples have white spots and forget any premium with them.

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

The physical causes which lead to the formation of milk spots are correctly described above. The underlying reason (which allows the physical causes to continue to exist in the coin-making process and to continue to cause the formation of the milk spots) however is the abyssmal if not non-existent quality control systems and procedures employed by the RCM. I saw a press release the RCM released some time ago in response to inquiries and criticism on the subject of milk spots on their silver coins. The essence of the press release was "Yeah--we know. So---what's your point?" It appears that they just couldn't care less. The milk spot problem seems (at least within my personal experience, and I've stacked a lot of tubes of silver Maple Leafs over the years) to be as prevalent today as it was many years ago.

The milk spots are the main reason I moved out of the Maples and into ASEs and I've never regretted that decision. Probably should have done so years earlier. Oh, well... My decision-making abilities may be clouded and run slow, but at least my hindsight is 20/20.

6. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

^^^ Guarantee they don't care less, or they would have done something :(

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm sure they could sell a whole load more if they tried to sort it out. Sales have been increasing significantly over the last few years so guess that's why they're not too bothered (2009- 9.5m+, 2010- 18m,
    2011- 23m)

I got one tube a while ago spot free and was lucky with that. All my other ones have now developed the milk spots and, like Fat Freddy, will no longer be buying them even though it's one of my favourite bullion coins. Not going to take the chance with the kilo version due to this.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Perth Mint supplies silver blanks to The United States Mint.

2 minutes 26 seconds

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUIMvT0VED4[/youtube]