Military Veteran starting over at age of 29

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by rara200284, Jan 1, 2015.

1. rara200284

rara200284 Member

Hello everyone!

I am a military veteran who just got out last year. I never cared about money at all. I thought money was evil until I got out of service and came back home and ended up in the hospital. If I still was not insured a few days after service, I would have ended up with a $35K hospital bill. This made me see how having A LOT of money can help people and how a lot of people limit their experiences in life because of not wanting to spend any money.

Since then, I've been going back to school to study business, finance, economics, accounting. I study mostly on my own as well, always doing research. Being 29, it feels like I am starting over but I know what I want. WEALTH!!! Wealth grants me to freedom to pursue other life goals. When the military takes away a lot of your freedoms, you realize what freedom is. Or at least more of what you thought it was.

Anyway, I wanted to invest what little money I had since I know my money sitting around doesn't do anything. I listen to Robert Kiyosaki's philosophies, and they actually make logical sense to me. I wanted to invest in something. Stocks, bonds, mutual funds maybe? EFT's maybe? They're so unreliable because I don't really know where my money is going. I have no real interaction with the companies and so on. I heard oil prices were going down recently and thought...hmmm maybe I should get oil...but it's still an electronic investment. But things that will eventually disappear in this world has so much value......

Hmm...so what can I purchase that is not completely electronic and in complete possession of someone else....... Light bulb* Precious Metals.

I was waiting for God or the Universe to give me a sign for the right thing to invest in: Gold and Silver!!!!!!

I made my first purchase with JM BULLION. I bought 2 oz of gold coins in case gold goes up more, and I bought a lot of silver since we're all hoping for silver to skyrocket. Well, silver will skyrocket, but when? In the meantime, just buy buy buy. I love watching all those silver stacker videos and am interested in economists ( which I could've give a sht less back in the day). I am currently watching Mike Maloney's "Death of the Dollar" series on youtube. I suggest you guys watch it.

Anyway, glad to be here! Good luck everyone!

2. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

welcome

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi, sounds like your on the right path... Medical in the US sux balls

5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's some really smart people here at SS and some really good operators so read lots.

As for your education away from 'money is evil, any expert will tell you to learn what 'economic rent' actually means, and most will tell you there is a difference between valuation, value, cost and price so study that.

The smartest fellow I know says buy shares in real things that provide real services and give reliable dividends. (e.g. Warren Buffett purchased a railroad).

A very smart person who used to visit this board a bit was username 'Non Recourse'. Check out his posts for good information on what taxation really means to your future wealth and how to stay out of the clutches of government. He was into commercial property investment - at 29 that's a good long term string to your bow.

Since you're on SS:

Gold is generally considered insurance for wealth and not good for a speculative return. Usually a minimum of 5% of your net worth in gold is suggested. Currently I'd be thinking at least 10%. Some people like 100% some don't know anything about it.

Silver is a powder keg of opinions, but I think is now an industrial metal that is a good speculation for the medium to long term. Others disagree totally on both aspects of that sentence.

If I was 29 again I'd make sure to put 10% of everything I earned away from my spendthrift clutches and I'd buy something real with the balance every now and then so the government, banks and opportunist thieving advisers couldn't get near it.

Best advice I ever heard was that you get rich slowly and get poor quickly - so choose investments that do the former and avoid the latter.

Welcome. Live long and prosper.

p.s. ignore predictions from experts and gratuitious advice in welcome posts.

6. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to SS :)

Yep the medical system in the US is #^$&...and that still even if you have health care also...Australia and Canada both have one of the best health care systems...

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

7. Topender

Topender Member Silver Stacker

Welcome, good luck and thank you for your service.

8. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the forum. 29 is a great age to have seen that there is something not quite right with the system.
    House has a useful thread of FAQs that is well worth reading so you don't find yourself asking the same questions as all new stackers. (yep we all started some where and had the same questions you will have.)
    Happy stacking.

9. rara200284

rara200284 Member

Thank you all! You guys make me feel like I am young since I will be turning 30 in a bit. I feel like I am behind because people are already married with kids and have careers going. I'm essentially starting all over, but I feel like they're more trapped by society's terms more than anything.

And silver stacker, what do you mean by oxymoronic? I don't understand what you think is an oxymoron.

10. anonmiss

Um his name is House and his status is silver stacker. I think he was implying that you are young and that veteran and youth are the oxymoron. (not a slight against your years of service more of a bit of jealousy that your starting stacking so young.)
    Check out the link in Houses signature, he's put together a FAQ thread that is a gold mine of information.

And House it ain't Christmas anymore loose the beard. ;)

11. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ spot on ;) My only idea of veterans are the 80 year old men in the RSL. 'Veteran' is derived from the Latin for 'old' afterall. No jealousy by the way, I started stacking at 27.

Will change it today, just for you anonmiss. Swap for the pikelet?

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oh to feel old enough at 29 to feel young again near 30. lol

An oxymoron is a saying that contradicts itself - such as dry lake, liquid gas, incomplete circle, etc

They are also used on this forum a lot by people saying things like ' honest politician', or 'manipulated market'.

A common joke in your former line of work is 'military intelligence is an oxymoron'.

13. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Democratic freedom? :p

14. anonmiss

The pikelet stays sorry. Whats left of my brain after the silly season may fall out if I remove it. :lol:

15. rara200284

rara200284 Member

Oh okay. Thank you for the insights. Yah I understand what you are saying. There are a lot of young veterans here in the U.S. Most of us have been to Iraq or Afghanistan. When I think of an old guy, I usually think of World War 2 Vet or Vietnam Vet.

You guys make me feel young! I know I am, but I'm always around people much younger than me so I feel like I am the old guy. I joined the military later at the age of 24. Most people join at 18 or 19. Now that I am 29, going back to school, most people there are 18-21. Feels like I am behind, but Silver will solve all that....Mwhahhaha.

16. humbolt

humbolt Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

welcome comrade ;)

17. billybob888

billybob888 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. kezza26

kezza26 Active Member Silver Stacker

19. pi

pi Active Member Silver Stacker

Great intro, welcome.

20. evil_ss

evil_ss Active Member