Microscopes - Can anyone recommend from these two ?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Austacker, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Hi Stackers

As a lot of you may know I have quite an interest in Numismatics. I am looking at getting a Microscope to assist in viewing small details like Mint Marks, Overstrikes etc... I use a loupe which is fine but some of the smaller details can be very tiring when looking through a lot of coins ie: Small and Large "SD" on 5c pieces. So I am looking for an easier way to do this.

I have been considering a Stereo Microscope so I can set a small jig up and quickly put the coin in and out. But I really have no idea on which one of these would be any good. I know we have a broad range of people here and perhaps some of you may be more familiar with what to look for. I would prefer it to have its own light source (not a deal breaker but easier) and something that I could add a small digital camera as well so if I find what I am looking for, or an unlisted variety I can take a fair shot.

The two I am looking at the moment are -

Fleabay - 230379003769 and 320438936010

They are both about the same price delivered at the moment I am leaning towards the Second listing.

So if anyone could help shed some light, it is much appreciated :)

Edit - Or if someone could recommend a similar priced one that would be great also.

2. domdolittle

domdolittle Active Member Silver Stacker

HI

I might a bit off subject but, I bought this Digital microscope for the same purpose and I'm very happy with it !

The good thing about it, as well as great magnification (great range from 20x to 200x), is the fact that it stores pictures into a program that can be downloaded into Ebay or other sites.

Perhaps it's completely different to what youre after....
    but I thought I'll mention it for other people that might want to give it a try.
    Well worth the money, in my case...

USB Digital Microscope Camera with Alloy Stand

AU $37.99 Free Postage

ebay item N: 250721147748

Features
    Microscope for viewing objects that are too small to be seen by the naked eyes
    This microscope is a fully functional magnification device which can easily be operated by plugging directly into your computer
    Embedded with 8 white LED lights and a 1.3 Mega Pixel Digital Camera
    You can use this Digital USB Microscope as a camera to take pictures
    Instant snapshots and time-lapse video recording allowable
    Regard it as a fantastic gift!
    Powered directly from USB port
    Comes with an alloy stand and a disc
    Perfect item for use in the classroom, close product inspection, or just for fun
    Application: Laboratory Research, Medical analysis, School Research tool, Insect dissection/examination, Plant dissection/examination, Skin examination, Scalp examination, Textile Inspection, Jewelry Inspection, Collections/Coin Inspection, Printing Inspection, Reading Aid, Teacher Add as Project, Presentation

3. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I was thinking of buying the digital microscope, but than
    the 1.3Mpixel kinda put me off?

Would you be able to upload a photo of any coin that you have taken with the camera in question??
    Just want to see the pic quality and resolution

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Yes that would be great as well. I had seen these too but like Thucydides the resolution was a bit of a concern ?

5. domdolittle

domdolittle Active Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok folks

That's the type of pics that I was able to download with it...

resolution around 20x

I haven't tried any closer as I was happy with these.

I guess it's a matter of knowing how to do it properly.

I found that it has to be clamped steady to avoid vibrations before the focus is good.

As I said, one has to play with the device to get it right.

Hope this will help you guys.

cheers Dom.

6. BBQ

BBQ Member

If it were my money I'd be more interested in a digital camera with a decent macro capability (and a mini tripod).

If a few hundred spent on an entry-level DSLR and macro lens is out of the question, a cheap compact that is good at macro and my own light source (LED headlamp or torch or desklamp) would be my preferred option by far.

Considering that cameras these days start at 10+ megapixels and will likely have a more decent lens than these cheaper microscopes as well as more control over picture parameters.

The pics on that ebay listing aren't anything that can't be done with a cheap camera with half-decent macro for the same price. In fact the microscope falls short.

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1 thing I learned about cameras recently is Megapixels aren't everything... it's more to do with the software and lens. A 5mpx brand name camera will out perform a 10mpx generic camera everytime...it's all to do with the proprietary software. :)

8. THUCYDIDES79

You are right BBQ with the decent camera and macro ( check following guys out, in my opinion the best fotos for silver coins on eBay -
    )

http://stores.ebay.com/Tornado-Alley-Coins?_rdc=1

http://stores.ebay.com/aspencoins

the best coin listings - http://stores.ebay.com/coinworldtv?_rdc=1

However, $35 + free postage, plus inbuilt lighting + only one cable directly into the comp, plus straight download to PC. For $35 , photos above are ok, ( and i wouldnt suggest the above microscopes to be used for coin fotos where the coin costs more than $50 ), but anything below in value is ok.

Might get the Digital one

9. silverybay

silverybay New Member

10. THUCYDIDES79