Mexican 50 gold pesos, Centenario coin

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by howsaboutthis, Jun 15, 2015.

1. howsaboutthis

howsaboutthis New Member

So I've got 3 of these coins now. They all weigh in a 41.6 grams. The writing on the rim ("Independencia Y Libertad") on one of them is upside down though compared to the other 2. I'm wondering if this is normal or not. It seems like the quality control of these coins isn't as high as with other national mint coins and not every coin looks exactly the same. There seems to be variance on every coin you see. For instance when they stamped the writing on the rim "Independencia Y Libertad" on the coins it's in a different place for all 3 coins. When you line up the writing with the 3 coins, the other parts of the coins don't line up (and on 1 of the coins the writing is upside down).

Does anyone else have experience with these coins not being exactly identical to each other? If they all weigh the correct amount is that enough to put a person's mind at ease? Thanks much for any help.

When you line up the lettering on the rim like this:

[​IMG]

And then you unstack the coins, they are all facing different directions or upside down.

[​IMG]

2. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

for starters,all should be around 37.5grams.can be a bit less due to age and wear.you might want to XRF yours as it is 4grams over which would raise a flag...

also check the diameter.it should be 37mm or around that.36 is fine.

3. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

This is incorrect. ^

They *contain* and are marked 37.5 Gr. ORO PURO.

However the they are .9 pure so the total weight is 41.6666 g. It is 90% gold and 10% copper. 21.6 karat.

Metal
    Gold (.900)

Weight
    41.6666 g

Diameter
    37.08 mm

Thickness
    2.69 mm

Nice coin. like a 1 Oz or a 4 Ducat it has presence. I checked and the one I am holding is identical in orientation to the one you have on the right (mine- 1821-1947).

Are yours all the same year? The non restrikes can be worth more.

The known fakes o them are a lot lighter - 23 grams.
    The Challenger Collection - Mexican Gold, 50 Pesos
    https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=23

There is a 14k copy weighing 31 grams and a complete fake weighing 23g.

"The dates 1921 through 1931 and 1944 through 1947 are regular legal tender issues, while the 1943 date, also known as "Tejo", is considered a bullion issue on which the phrase "50 Pesos" was been replaced with a second "37.5 Gr. Oro Puro".

Between 1949 and 1972 the Mexican Mint produced 3,975,654 re-strikes using original 1947 dated dies and although they have a monetary marking of "50 Pesos" they are generally considered to be bullion issues. The original coins produced in 1947 are not distinguishable from those produced as re-strikes in later years.

In 1996 the Mexican Mint produced an estimated 300 re-strikes using a re-tooled 1947 die. These are referred to as Specimen strikes and have a semi-proof finish. Very little is known about these Specimens and the exact mintage can not be fully verified due to incomplete records at the Mexican Mint.

In late 2005 or early 2006 (still trying to verify) the Mexican Mint once again began to produce the 1947 dated 50 Peso gold coins, this time using a brand new die. These coins can be easily identified by the heavy matte finish that distinguishes them from the original die and specimen die strikes. PCGS uses the new code of 159793 verses the old code of 526255 and typically adds the comment "New Die" to the label insert to distinguish these from each other. The NGC label does not distinguish between the original die strikes, original die re-strikes, or the new die re-strikes.

Two proofs are known to exist, both dated 1947. The one residing in this collection has been authenticated and graded by NGC. It has fully mirrored fields with frosted devices and a superb cameo appearance. It is not know exactly when or under what circumstances these two proofs were made."

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From memory this is normal.

Some coins are stuck top and bottom while in a collar, the collar can contain edge details and if this is the case then the edge details are going to be the same for each coin.

For other coins the edge details are added as an extra stage after the minting of the faces, so they can be any orientation, or occasionally missing.

5. howsaboutthis

howsaboutthis New Member

Thanks, Oldsoul. The one that you say yours matches is the one I was worried about mainly because it's my upside down coin. I guess the orientation doesn't matter. 1 of my coins is 1946. The other 2 (including the one that's like yours) are 1947. It seems if the weight is spot on then the coin is real, even if there is some variation from coin to coin. That's the assumption I'm going to go on anyway. :)

6. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Have a hunt for a cheap but decent digital calipers - if you are putting that money on gold coins it is worth getting one. It is weight +dimension.

They look like this

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01407A-..._1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1434413367&sr=1-1

Cheap and useful for coin dimensions.

Glad to here the 1947 (probably a restrike) is the same one.

Still rocks as a coin. I like half sovs, full sovs, maples, 20 francs, ducats you name it. But the big 1 ozers, 4 ducats and 50 pesos are more satisfying than the sovs and 20 francs.

Beware that the .9 purity may make it below the bullion threshold for tax in some regimes and custom/duty.

Cool stack you have, very nice.

I have been told the one I was comparing is an original from 1947 and not a restrike but I'm sceptical. As far as I'm concerned it is a nice bullion coin and not a numismatic Here are the mintages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenario

Here is a price guide

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/mexico-50-pesos-km-481-1921-1947-cuid-1882-duid-8953

7. howsaboutthis

howsaboutthis New Member

Thanks as well, Jislizard. I love these coins. I got a Canadian Maple Leaf too, but it just doesn't compare to the Centenario in my mind. I like a coin that I can hold without feeling like I'm getting fingerprints or scratches on it or otherwise messing it up. The Centenario has some heft to it too, and best of all you can get them for a few bucks over spot! Not sure why they're so cheap. Maybe selling them is difficult at an LCS? Maybe the American views on Mexico (drugs, crime, cheaply made goods, illegal immigrants) extends to their gold as well? Gold is gold to me, and these coins have stood the test of time thus far without any issues.

8. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

The 1Oz gold maple is a very nice coin, the leaf really looks great in gold and is very widely recognised. I had an '82 .9999. Lost it in a boating accident, first year they did 4 9s. I loose a lot of bullion in boating accidents. Needs a capsule though...not as playable with as a 50 peso.

9. bloggie

bloggie New Member

beautiful gold coins.
    I have 100-1oz silver Libertad's 1943-1947 I love the way they feel and look. They feel substantial.
    Wish I had that many in gold......