Mesopotamia - Imperial Art - new series

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by silvercoinsman, Sep 16, 2014.

1. silvercoinsman

silvercoinsman New Member

Hello Everyone,

Mesopotamia - I think the best coin in recent years. Great design. Mintage also only 500 coins. Only Power Coin sell these coins?

[​IMG]
    Source: Power Coin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They were selling them on Super-Coin yesterday. Think it was around 5-10% more than PC's 300

3. silvercoinsman

now I see - Super Coins, so Power Coin has best price. Egypt will be next. Very interesting. I'm curious which imperials will be presented in that series? I bet: Rome, Greece, Spain, Great Britain, Russia, China, India, France, Germany.

4. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

Looks like a nice coin with a big lump of snot (or from Blackadder , in the attempted alchemy episode, Green)

5. silvercoinsman

They described it little better, in this way: Green Agate Crystal placed in the coin symbolizes the rich vegetation Hanging Gardens and the harvest lands in the river basins of the Tigris and Euphrates.

6. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

:/

lol ho rimosso la foto

7. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

I like this coin very much!!! So many details and symbols.
    This is the description from Power Coin website:

"On the back of the coin there is a fragment of the Code of Hammurabi or the language commonly called cuneiform, the Gate of Ishtar or monumental gate of Babylon, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the seven wonders of the world and the Euphrates river. On the obverse of the coin we find the coat of arms of Queen Elizabeth II, the palace of King Sargon II at Khorsabad, the bust of King Sargon II and the famous Lamassu, sculpture of a bull with a human face of the Sumerian tradition. "

For me the design is amazing, the part I like the most is the upper right side with "Code of Hammurabi", cuneiform.
    The topic of ancient civilizations which I like, and the mintage of only 500 pcs, half of what is usually minted, makes me feel this is going to be a big hit!

Alex.

8. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

Yes - they're not going to say it looks like snot

9. silvercoinsman

sorry, I think your brain is like snot :)

10. Sully

Sully Member

LOL could it be? have they done it? purest Green???!!!

11. aghunter

aghunter New Member

Hello, i would like to know what is the issue price of this coin ? I think - coin has a many details and is really nice . I am a beginning collector , have some money and would like to buy an investment up to 7-10 pieces.Someone can help me find trust and safe dealer of this Mesopotamia coin?

12. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

If only all those questions weren't answered in the first two posts. Cough, silvercoinsman, House, cough. :rolleyes:

14. aghunter

aghunter New Member

Thank you for response .This is only one dealer of this coin? What is your opinion about this serie? Good idea for invest (time 5-6 years) . Mintage is only 500 pcs ,it is true that there is a lot of interest in this coin . I would like be sure because -money:). Uff ...many questions- but thank you for any information.

15. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

Usually the most appreciated coins in good series are first ones.
    First Tiffany Art today worth a fortune, First in Deadly and Dangerous series "Red Back Spider" still sells above $1000 I think, First "Gulo Gulo" of Mongolia Wildlife series topped $3,000 in some feebay auction.
    I think that if a series is nice and appreciated, first one is the best.

So, if you like the coin, grab it now. Power Coin is a big well known and trustable dealer in modern coins market and I don't think you will find it cheaper than Eur 300.00 elsewhere, actually I think that as soon as dealers realize the demand is high, they will raise the price up.

By the way I bought two pieces for now, so if I will be able to flip one for Eur 600.00 in few months (I hope!) I will get mine for free :D

Alex.

16. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Big +1 on that. You'd think with that high-class packaging, they could afford to throw in a couple tissues...

17. Sully

Sully Member

I'm going to offer up a different viewpoint than what has generally been said in this thread.
    One of the posts spoke of making a sizeable investment in this coin.
    I would absolutely not buy up to 10 of these as an investment.

Yes, it's nicely done. Good detailing in the design. Attractive. Ticks many boxes.
    But the fact is, these style of coins are no longer unique.

Mints are popping out series after series of these to cash in on the Tiffany dream.
    And at some point along the way issue prices of 300 euro became the accepted norm.
    Prices are hugely inflated, and distributors and dealers will do everything they can to hype up their product as the next hit.

Of the hundreds of collector coins issued every year, only a handful will achieve any status that will outlive the initial hype and interest of collectors.
    It's been my long opinion that this type of coin is just for the collector. Not the investor.
    You like it, you buy one, you enjoy it and appreciate it.
    But don't think that as an investment it will make you a return.
    The fact is, the return you should be getting in the future - has already been factored into the cost price.
    All these type of coins should, and believe me they COULD be, available at a retail cost of 175-200 euro.

Lower mintage, first in series etc doesn't amount to a hill of beans unless the coin itself captures attention.
    Which can last beyond 6 months.
    Which has something fresh, unique about it.
    This doesn't. It's nice, i've said that already.... but it just doesn't.

Taking the mother of them all - Tiffany - out of the equation, let's look at the others.
    Crystals, glass, malachite, amber, agate? All presented with fantastically intricate engraving?
    They're out there already. Mineral arts. Crystal arts. Winter palaces. Opera series. Masterpieces in stone.
    It's being done.
    It's being over-done.
    And all overpriced at launch.
    How many will make a profit right now, nevermind 5 years from now.

Invest in these - no way.
    Buy it and enjoy it as a collector, by all means.

A beginner looking to invest a sum of money should turn his attention to bullion.
    With silver prices in a slump, he should be buying up semi-numismatic bullion in various weight sizes.
    This is the only way he will be sure of a solid investment return 5 years or more down the road.

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

If you're going to create sock puppet accounts on the forum, at least do it from two different email domains. Banned.

19. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I like the design but I have to agree with Sully, these coins are no longer unique.

20. silvercoinsman

I think it is good for investment because of mintage 500 pcs, thema and design. Very interesting thema, about history, life (more symbolism) and art. We can learn the history on these coins. Mintage 500 pcs is two times less than 1000 pieces. I suppose for anyone interested is not enough. Design - draws from the best practices (Tiffany), with sense for example Agate - appeared in Mesopotamia and its colour symbolizes nature and gardens in Mesopotamia, stamp - Antique Finish like old coins.