MCC prices for medals and coins weakening?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverfever, May 15, 2012.

1. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Where, I could use one

2. silverfever

silverfever New Member

You are right. The way things are going wouldn't be surprised to see ms69 frosted for below $300.

3. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Yes and below 300 is a bargain to buy with two hands

4. DaBoz

DaBoz New Member

Then the Set I posted, Frosted at less than $200 USD each, might be considered a deal. They are early colorized, a collectable by itself.

5. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

The collectors dont touch the colorized because is,after market, not original, if you lime the gilded you can buy then 2000 guanzhou for 500/600 omp/ms69.
    And we talk to buy the frosted in ms69 for 300 not in capsule.

6. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, very well spoken Thor122. Many collectors I've met won't touch the colorized for that reason.

7. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

A few coins make very well.
    With less than one hour remain a unicorn 1995 1 oz silver go for 860; 12 more than 848 for a buy it now.
    Its a crazy thing the people dont say the others buy it now when bid for a coin?
    For my unlucky im looking for this coin to complete my tao of unicorns and it send for more each time i say one.
    Ps: yennus help me when you saw one.
    ;-)

8. yennus

Alas... my unicorn hunting abilities are not as well honed as my Panda hunting ability :)

9. shibaji

shibaji New Member

Sometimes state tax come into play. Very recently I bought a coin in auction for more than a buy-it-now price, but that BIN was in same state as mine, which charges 8.75% tax on sale price, effectively making the BIN pricier. This have happened more than once for me. But yes, at times people do not check BIN I guess - it is the fun of bidding and winning that drives them.

Most of my purchases (> 80%) so far have been BIN or best offer, and all of them beat the bidding auction price for similar coin.

10. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I lost out on that unicorn too. I put in a bid of $651.00 since I thought MCC prices were weakening,...

11. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

quality coins are still fetching pretty nice #,s ,I only wish i had more cash:) to expend!! as i think the plunging Stock market and spot silver is spooking some folks:)
    I had an old man who was loaded from stock market investments tell me"i can teach a monkey how to make money in the market: simple , buy when everyone is selling and sell when everyone is buying without any emotion" :):)

12. yennus

Heheh... yep, quality and luxury are almost always in demand :)

13. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

By the way the old man,s statement is easy to say ,but hard to carry out:):) IMHO

14. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I finally managed to get my hands on a China 1987 3.3 oz Silver Medal God of Longevity NGC PF 68 for IMHO not a bad price. US$1026.00

The last couple of sales graded by NGC PF 69 went for USD$2000.00. So getting a PF 68 for 51.3% of the price of a PF 69 is not bad at all, I think.

15. shibaji

shibaji New Member

Congratulations - it is a very good price. I have been watching that auction, but did not bid because of the white spot thing - did you clarify if it is on the slab instead from the seller ?

16. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Oops I didn't notice the white spot thing so I didn't ask about it. Hopefully I don't have to return it. Anyway, I spoke to Richard the owner of Coinex about his PF 69, and he said that his PF 69 was sent to NCS first so I hope this is the case with the PF 68 as well.

On second thought, I will keep the medal with white spot or not because of the price I paid for it.

17. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Is a very nice price. But im looking to buy the pf69 for 1500 if i like it. But i think i will need to wait a long time to saw it.

18. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Same here. I almost dropped $2000 for a PF 69 but this PF 68 will help me wait out until I can find a price that I would like on a PF 69.

19. shibaji

shibaji New Member

It you are waiting for 69 to drop to 1500, and bought a 68, don't you think at that time 68 will drop to 500 ?

Also, Thor122 - I though people are expecting price increase over longer term, not a drop in price ? :)

My take is that these do not drop that far. Silver and Gold prices are a correction at the moment, not a trend change. Based on indicators so far it is not going to collapse like many people are expecting. In fact, I think the bottom has been set already, and tested thrice - it goes up from here.

Here is evidence to my statement: http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$SILVER&p=W&b=5&g=0&id=p45398620185

Silver needs to break below 26.15 with volume to breakdown. The current hammer reversal does not support that either.

On the other hand, I think a stok market breakdown is coming, whereas many people think it is oversold: http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$INDU&p=W&b=5&g=0&id=p43946840360 - I expect Dow Jones to retreat to 11500 at least before recovering.

However, all we can do is make educated guess - at times far from reality :-D

20. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Jaja. I think silver and gold are in the bottom now. But if silver break the 26,50 and panic selling will see 20/22 or less. If not 40 in a few months. But with the europe crisis i think the mcc will go for less. Because the dealers need to sell to pay bills.