May 2012 Retail Price Review

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by Water&Food, May 26, 2012.

1. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

I figured, since im not the only sucker out there who likes jewellery it makes sense to keep some kind of record of trends and prices.

- Please only post/share your observed prices in RETAIL stores.
    - No loose/unset stones. Only jewellery
    - Any State or Nation allowed, and please state clearly where abouts
    - This is not an excuse to give shyt/crap about any jeweller/chain.
    - Do not comment on your perceived bad experience. This is not a place to badmouth any retail store

Well, cause I am only interested in the crap opal these days I shall give you my review of a few Retail shops.

Type of Jewellery
    Mid end set opal jewellery, mixture of both local and imported silver and gold jewellery

Opinion
    WOW. I am impressed. Rings, Pendants and Sex Toys. The prices were very close to Miners prices up in Airlie Beach. The 'mass produced' (though they disputed) was not that cheap, but the locally set jewellery was actually cheap - my head caved in too.
    About half the jewellery in the store was very well priced. Good for consumers, but bad for their profits.
    There is no question their markup was minimal (as in under 10% for some articles).
    However, they were 'cheap' cause they were also part time opal miners. This seems to be a growing trend (i.e. miners cutting out middleman and selling direct to public).

It was obvious to me prices were low due to tourism being low. When we walked around and trolled there were little tourists to be seen, let alone little actually spending money in many of the boutique stores around Airlie Beach.

Prices for simple set opal in silver started from $50 AUD
    Prices for simple set opal in gold started from $150 AUD

If you are up in the area and wish to get a bargain or two, then drop in to the only opal store in town.