Malcolm Fraser dead at 84

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by ozcopper, Mar 19, 2015.

1. ozcopper

ozcopper Administrator Staff Member

Source News.com.au

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry to hear it - except that extreme old age is a misery. Completely changed my mind about him as he evolved in his later years - in my view.
    Saw him with Gough Whitlam on the same podium once as they both put up a defense of Fairfax News.

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I remember reading a story in 'Restored Cars" magazine many years ago about a guy that found and restored Malcom Fraser's prime ministerial limo.

The funny bit was about the dummy car Chrysler sent down the production line earmarked as the PM's car. Apparently the lads in the union didn't miss putting their particular 'marks' on every part of the vehicle. Meanwhile, the real car proceeded down the assembly line with only upper management knowing the true end customer. The sacrificial car was taken off the assembly line and pushed into the dump. :)

The PM's car is still around. Here's a shot of it parked out in front of Julia Gillard's investment property a few years back as a bit of a dig from the guys on the Chrysler forum. You'll note the other car just in frame. Its a cop car that turned up soon after. They searched the Chrysler. :) [​IMG]

4. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am sure there are a lot of Zimbabweans sleeping better today. It was Fraser and the Australian government who supported and were fundamental in elevating one of the greatest tyrants in Africa to the position of life long president. I refer to the dishonerable Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe. Funny how we as a nation forgot that ?? :( :( Perhaps the do gooders will keep this in mind when we interfere in other countries again....No they wont.

5. ToDaMoon

ToDaMoon Member Silver Stacker

I know it sounds mean, but all I can think about is one less person that gets a golden ticket of free flights and all the perks that come of being an MP / ex Prime Minister. Quite frankly would look forward to a few more bowing out gracefully!

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

7. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't judge politicians by their perks but by their actions. Fraser was either a gullible idiot or a psychopath to support and befriend one of the greatest tyrants in modern history.
    Mugabe in his syphilitic mania murdered millions and doomed his people to poverty and disease while he lived and continues to live as an emperor. I find the entire story nauseating. I am old enough to remember Ian Smith pleading with pompous Fraser to not support Mugabe who in those early days was clearly a psychopath. Australia had the ability to change the course of the entire Southern African continent. Instead they let the people of Africa down and millions have died and continue to die.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...elp-kick-him-out/story-e6frg7ef-1111116070981

8. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I give him credit for being one of the only ex-PMs to admit to making mistakes and judgement errors in his career.

He used to occasionally stop and fill up with petrol on his way from Melb to his Western District farm. A considered and polite customer who always checked his own oil and water.

Far from perfect but there's been way worse including his former Treasurer.

RIP

9. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

+1
    Hate saying it, but...that was my first thought as well, probably half a million of tax payer dollars saved.

10. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I always saw Fraser as one of those self flagellating types, unable to live with his own decisions in life and then overcompensating with regret for the rest of his life. A sad and reticent existence that was typified by his constant and well loved media appearances in leftist circles criticising the very same political party he once led.

11. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not too sure about the "very same" bit.