Made my first purchase using Bitcoin

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by leo25, Jun 25, 2017.

1. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As any PC games will know Steam are having their yearly sale on atm, so i went to buy a few games.

When i went to purchase the games i decided to use bitcoin this time. They use bitpay and the order went through super smooth. They don't wait for confirmation, so your order is instant. I guess since it's only software they can be more relaxed.

This is what Bitcoin really needs, stores accepting it and people using it. Not just people flipping it for a profit.

After over a month of me using exchanges it was really nice to make a real purchase with it :)

greedy Kobold and Bullion Baron like this.
  2. silverbait

silverbait Active Member Silver Stacker

How do you feel spending an investment instead of using fiat? I would be feeling a bit upset to lose my bitcoin. Btw I have no idea about bitcoin or any other cryptos.

3. leo25

It felt great. I can always buy more bitcoin cheaper with my fiat. Plus i don't view cryptos as an investment, i view it as an alternative payment system. And for cryptos to survive more people will have to start having that view too.

Lunardragon and BuggedOut like this.
  4. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

But they won't until the volatility problem is resolved. Any "currency" that can vary +/-20% in a day (and that being quite a normal thing) relative to all other world currencies in use is not a currency people want to use to buy and sell stuff.

5. leo25

Yes it's a bit of a paradox. People need to speculate less and use it more to make it more stable, but to do that more shops need to accept it, but more shops won't accept it until less people speculate with it (and around and around we go)

Anyway a shop can accept bitcoin but not hold it. That's what Bitpay does, it allows a store to receive bitcoin and then it converts it into local currency.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    silverbait likes this.
  6. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

SilverDJ, go and read up about Corion coin :-

http://www.corion.io

Eliassamaha put me onto it and it is a very clever idea that if it works you'll effectively have a stable price crypto token on the Ethereum Classic blockchain (cheap/fast transactions) that can run side by side with fiat commerce - without any need for any fiat gateway, conversion or redemption.

I'm not convinced Corion will work, but it is obvious to me that some very smart people are working on the price stability problem (so that mainstream can adopt crypto) and it WILL get solved soon.

7. SilverDJ

Will check it out, thanks.
    I hope it gets solved soon, and maybe the one that does will be the ultimate winner? Even beating out Bitcoin?
    Because is there any mechanism that could make Bitcoin more stable apart from some form of government regulation?

8. SilverDJ

Woah, I checked it out and I don't think I understand any of it :confused:

9. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Didn't grab me at all, What I basically got from it was that they will take the guess work out of what will and wont work on the crypto network for people unable to decide for themselves. And they are promoting a 2.5% gain per day ?

https://www.corion.io/

Sorry But I call BULLSHIT on that straight up.

I've seen Ponzi's in my life before and also some overwhelming promises as well, but 2.5% per Day....Really ?

For just $1000.00 a day I can get you laid by a 22 year old Virgin that looks like (enter your fantasy lay here) your choice :) .

10. southerncross

11. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm the first to admit there are some red flags with Corion (I pointed that out in the other thread)

There is a bit of an issue with the marketing. It is "up to" 2.5% daily. The way they do it is through dynamic money supply expansion/contraction based on the coins price. It is actually a consensus decision every 3 hours to mint new coins totalling 0.3% of the existing coin supply if the coin price is over $1 USD. Compound 8 times in 24 hours and you almost get 2.5% when there is high demand for the coin (ie, price is up).

It is a way of suppressing the coin price when demand is high, as opposed to other cryptos that have massive price spikes and dips. The reason I brought it up is it may be (part of?) a solution to the crypto volatility that SilverDJ is always complaining about as a reason why crypto can't be adopted by mainstream.

As for the ICO, it's up to $1.2 million USD which is peanuts compared to Bancor, but still substantial compared to what was considered "normal" only a few months ago.

I bought some but I'm not endorsing the coin. Just pointing out that some are working on the price stability problem and this project might be worth watching to see if their price stability mechanisms work.

12. southerncross

Wagerr's value coupling could be a thing with stability.

13. leo25

So going back to what this thread is about. Has any one else here used crypto's at all for what they are designed for? or is it just me?

14. greedy Kobold

greedy Kobold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting information, thank you for sharing.
    re: quote
    any comments on convenience and cost of conversion.
    how would it look like in comparison with PP?
    ty

15. leo25

regarding Bitpay, I think it worked out to be about the same as PayPal when doing a currency conversion. So until stores accept it directly it won't really be a cheaper option. As for convenience, i would say it's as good as PayPal. Though I've only used it on steam so far.

I've also made a payment with another store which accepted bitcoin directly, though they made you wait for a confirmation first.

16. leo25

Just saw KJC in Sydney is now accepting payments in bitcoin. So you can buy bullion with bitcoin now.

https://www.kjc-gold-silver-bullion.com.au/buy_payment_option.php

BuggedOut and southerncross like this.
  17. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I've purchased some gold from provident metals, and some giftcards on Gyft. They both use bitpay, each time was super easy and worked with no issues!

18. Brendio

Brendio Active Member

My first purchase was some alpaca socks from the US: http://www.grasshillalpacas.com/alpacaproductsforbitcoinoffer.html They were one of the first online merchants to accept bitcoin and even featured in the original "What is Bitcoin?" video: http://www.grasshillalpacas.com/alpacaproductsforbitcoinoffer.html

I think I paid 2 or 3 BTC for them.

In regards to spending an investment, I was also buying bitcoin at the time, so was roughly buying was I was spending so my net bitcoin holding was maintained.

I have no regrets spending what would now be $20 grand on socks. They are good quality socks and are a talking point when I wear them. If noone spent any bitcoin, its value would not be where it is today.

I have also purchased novelty items and bitcoin wallets, and lately have been using a Coinjar Swipe card set to autoreload. My most recent purchase was the LEGO Apollo Saturn V rocket model.

19. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I still have a Josh Wise 98 NASCAR Dogecoin T-shirt I bought a few years ago with Dogecoin

Brendio likes this.