Lunar with privy

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Billythecoinstacker, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Billythecoinstacker

Billythecoinstacker Member

Why is perth mint produce 200000 privy lunar coin each year. Will people stop buying them?

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Billythecoinstacker

So the mintage is really 500000 and not 300000. Thats what I call a scam! So in the future they can just make restrict a old design with a privy and their out of the woods. Crazy!

4. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

dont forget this.privy started with the dragon so you cannot really make a set unless the mint decides to go back and make privy for the rest(mouse-rabbit). I doubt that would happen as privy coins not that popular(but it still would be money for the mint)

5. Billythecoinstacker

Are they doing privy for all the lunar coins nest year. They must have had many complaints??

6. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Im sure they will.Why would they care about the complaints(if any)? They are all about making money ;)

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They don't.

8. argento

argento Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

bullion mintage is only 300000

Privy mintage is ..... who cares - for the hand full of privy lovers, I mean no offence :)

You can't combined the two as the privy carries a lower premium due to its lack of popularity.

As spanner...stated earlier the privy was more of an overseas fetish and has never really taken of in OZ

9. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

True, but to make a COMPLETE set of lunar series II, you have to have each of the privy's :)

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Privy is lower mintage than non privy. Making them more collectible, if you subscribe to that theory.

Check back a couple of years down the line and you can see that the Privy and non Privy versions are selling for the same amount http://www.goldstackers.com.au/store/silver/silver-coins.html?cat=64

So the relative unpopularity of the privy is offset by the lower mintage, it all comes out in the wash.

This is of course based on one example, I am sure there are many examples, some of which will show the opposite. Kookaburras are not lunars so I have not included them.

11. atlonsa

atlonsa Member

Main market Lunar privy - Europe.
    Premium for them is small today.
    I bought last month roll Year of the Dragon privy for 31,2 AUD. Now I see the other German dealer selling dragon for approximately 32.5 AUD.

I take these coins with no hope of an increase in their value, but the quality, excellent appearance, complete capsule and a larger diameter compared to standard coins - these are good reasons to have them.
    Moreover, if the Dragon privy actually minted 200,000, the privy Snake and Horse is limited to 100,000 each, and actually mintage gives Perth - 56,241 and 60,269.

12. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

You want a full set of Lunars? It is not like buying 12 extra bullion coins with a privy will send you to the wall. It is a non issue in the end. Privy and non privy Dragons sell for around the same price on ebay anyway.

13. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

That would be a nice collection!. I will admit that I have champaign tastes, but a beer pocketbook lol, but then again, don't we all?

14. ninteno

ninteno Member

The privy Lunar coins were ordered by a german bank "Bayern LB" ( german state owned Bank) starting with the dragon in 2012. Thats the reason why the privy is a lion ( its the animal the state Bayern has in its flag)

With lower demand in the years after 2012 the mintage is also getting lower.
    How things go on with the privy depends on how big the demand of silver is.
    If the price of silver will go sideways or lower you wont see them until the end of the series.
    If silver will start rising the demand will become stronger and you can expect to see the privys until the end of the series. I like lunar coins but do not even own a sigle privy coin.

15. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

I just buy one to throw back just on the off chance that it does become collectible such as the 2013 koala w/ Chinese symbol privy.