LUNAR Series II - Hype for 1oz coins in germany

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by ninteno, Mar 26, 2011.

1. ninteno

ninteno Member

Hi,

i am from germany and new on this board here. I was searching for roos as i found this forum.

At the moment there is a big hype around the silver Lunar II Series in germany, specially the 1oz coins, so i am wondering if it is the same in australia.
    All i read here, i can not recognice something as a hype.

To give you a idea of prices in germany, here are some examples ( Dealer prices ).

1oz Mouse, 38-40 ( the new ones are not received by the locel dealer yet, hope the prices come down in the next weeks )
    1oz Ox, 40 - 45
    1oz Tiger, 44-50
    1oz Rabbit, 36 -40

Because i bought roos and Pandas, i sold some of my Lunar II ( over German forum, not over ebay ) and get following prices for them

10 oz OX - 365
    5 oz Ox - 260
    2 oz Ox - 100
    2 oz Tiger - 90
    5 oz Rabbit -190

Are the prices in australia similar or are these prices specially german market prices. Also the 1/2 oz coins are hyped too.
    1/2 oz mouse is around 60-70.

Hope to hear some informations here about australia market.

regard from germany

Ninteno

2. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Hi ninteno, Welcome to the forum!
    In regard to the Lunar series popularity, there is a premium on the older lunar series 2 coins, like the tiger/ox etc, though due to the perth mint reaching the mintage limits on the S2 rabbit, they have started reminting the S2 mouse and the premiums on that coin have been reduced. Saying that, anyone trying to buy 1oz tigers now would expect to pay between $50+ AUD (36+ ) which is about $5-10 AUD more than a current year lunar.

Looks like the premiums on Perth Mint lunars in Germany are currently quite high though i would expect shipping/import duties etc would add a margin over and above the actual buy price if you were to buy direct from the mint...

Great to hear theres someone on the forum from Germany, I would say that there are going to be some questions coming your way from members on how things are looking in Germany at the moment in regard to inflation/property market/economics etc. I know i would be interested in hearing how things look from someone who can see it on a daily basis.

3. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Willkommen to the forum ninteno !

Great post by the way.

It seems that the prices in Germany are priced in same amount in Euros as roughly we are in Aussie Dollars !

Since the Aussie buys around 0.73 Euro cents - there should be a nice arbritrage play if you can get to source them from here.

0.73 : 1 ?!

Its like exchanging Maria Theresa Thalers for 1 oz Maples !?

Aussie dealers, can anyone fill a void maybe with some offers and help themselves and the Germans out ?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Welcome to Silver Stackers Ninteno

I think you could open a personal gold mine if you place a post in the trading section for certain coins wanted to buy , I'm pretty sure that members here would not gouge you on price as well,
    maybe you could do it on spec "people tell you what they have and you see what you can get".

Just throwing the idea out there.

5. ninteno

ninteno Member

Hi, thanks fot your answers first. The premiums we have in germany for the Lunars have nothing to do with shipping/import duties etc.
    The koalas and the kooks 2011 re cheaper than the
    Lunar rabbit.

Do you have to pay a tax on silver in australia.
    In germany we have to pay 7% on coins and 19% on bars ( If you buy from a dealer, private sells are free )

If i would buy from somebody here from the forum i have to pay +7% tax extra.

6. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

I don't think they will be coming down anymore as the silver price has shot up
    and they have reached the full mintage already on the Mouse coins.

7. 2003dve

2003dve New Member

We have to pay 20% tax PLUS import duty if outside of EU and maybe PLUS a Post Office handling Charge of $12 :eek:

I'm moving to Aus..

8. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I read somewhere that legal tender coins don't have tax in Germany.

9. ninteno

ninteno Member

Thats right, but only for gold coins. There is a list with all taxfree goldcoins.
    Silvercoins we have generally to pay 7%.

@2003dve - That makes it hard to decide investing in physical silver. Your goverment is not interested in
    protect citicens savings. I think in near future the german goverment will also increase tax on silver.

10. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

On eBay there's a 1 oz mouse series II currently on $49.WTF?

Item number: 260754817969

11. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Also true in the UK BUT a silver coin worth $36 may have a face value of $1 or $5 so customs charge the tax ignoring the legal tender argument.

12. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Guten Tag von UK !

Are you hoping to trade or sell any coins ?
    I have been buying on e-Bay Germany but prices are getting too high even higher than bullion dealer prices.
    The fees charged on e-Bay make selling a few coins expensive.
    This forum is a good place to list.

13. ninteno

ninteno Member

Maybe i would buy somethings. The reason i asked here is only to get a feeling if the premiums paid in germany on lunar coins
    are only german premiums or if it is the same in australia. I do not want to end in a Lunar bubble.