Lunar prices

Discussion in 'Gold' started by null, May 24, 2011.

1. null

null Member

Hi all,

I am quite new to collecting/stacking ,etc. I have bought some silver(s) already (coins/bars,etc) but nothing substantial.

I am currently considering buying lunar series I gold coins (but just starting out so will not be able to do any 1 ouncer). So I am considering something like a 1/4oz. But having
    great difficulty googling for decent prices (it's all over the place!). I have been reading this forum for a while, so maybe the dragon is out of the question, so I was thinking maybe starting off with a rooster 1/4 oz as it's the birth year of my son.

So for all the sifu stackers out there:

1. Apart from the dragon, would there be a big difference in price between different animals (say rooster vs pig vs mouse, etc).

2. Are there price differences between proof lunars and non-proofs. If so, would it be worth paying a premium for a proof ???
    I guess being so rare the series I, I should get whatever's available when it comes.

So much to learn!!!!!

Thank you kindly.

PS: would I be able to get such a 1/4 oz for $450 - $550 AUD (this is my budget), and sorry if I have posted in the wrong section.

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I paid $400 for a 1/4 oz Goat recently
    Paid $190 for a 1/10 oz Snake
    Paid $190 for a 1/10 oz dog

3. pixha

pixha Member

If you are stacking then you should just go for the cheapest gold you can get. I can't really understand all this fuss over what picture is on it - if one is just into it for bullion.

4. hiho

He is just after a guide not a lecture :p

5. pixha

pixha Member

Sorry that was rude :)

6. hiho

Hey Phixa someone pointed out to me recently if you can buy Lunar Coins such as the 2011 rabbit for the similar price to the Kookaburra for instance then going by history those coins will fetch more in the future, food for thought?

7. pixha

pixha Member

Yeah - I understand that they attract higher prices... I shoulda thought before i posted ;)

8. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

For series 1, The dragon would be the most popular, followed by the snake, rabbit or horse, tiger, mouse, ox and the rest are inter changeable based on preference. I am basing this on the price I have observed. The proof price has quite a difference, for instance a bullion dragon can sell for 130 on ebay but a proof dragon has sold for 350 - 515 range. And the other lunars prices in comparison to proofs have varying premiums. Only you can answer if you are willing to pay the numismatic value of a proof as it is limited so only 2500 made for the 1oz. But I guess the mere fact you are looking at lunars (which in my opinion is one of the most heavy premium silver coins) in comparison to other bullion kinda speaks for itself.

9. null

null Member

Thank you to all that replied. As I am genuinely new to gold and silver, I am here to learn what I can, so no offense taken (pixha). I have been on this site for a few months reading before deciding to join. But still hesitant to post anything as I am not contributing much to discussions.

I see exactly what you mean about buying "cheapest" that one can get. But deep down, how many on this forum buys pure "bricks" and nothing else? We all weigh up what's bang for bucks before buying, whether it's plainly minted bars or beautifully strucked coins. I am not one who is lazy and just ask a question without first doing some leg work. Hence my question on the gold lunars 1/4 oz (as I think this is what I can afford at this stage). I know the rough street asking price for say 1/4 oz gold PM (bar, ingot, etc), PAMP, PM coin, etc. as these you can find easily on Abc, kcj, etc, etc. But when it comes to the lunars, it's quite hard to find a gauge.

Once again thanks for replying.

10. null

null Member

Hi hem9,

Your observation on the 130, 350-515 are silver right?

11. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

Yup silver, gold dragons are easily 1.5x spot and not even proofs

12. null

null Member

Ah well, the gold dragon can wait (no choice but), let's work on earthly animals one step at a time instead. Cheers for that.