Lunar ox gemstone

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Iluvnumbers, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Iluvnumbers

Iluvnumbers Member

Hi, First time user on any forum and have found it very interesting reading over the last few weeks, thankyou all for holding my attention! I do have a question that I hope someone may be able to help me with. I have a 1kg silver ox coin which is coloured on one side and one of the ox has yellow gemstone eyes.It has $30 face value and is aussie coin I was recently considering selling it but have no idea what it may be worth. I have been looking on ebay but have not found another like it. My question is what would be considered a reasonable price for such a coin? Thanks

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

The 1 kg Gemtone eye edition of the Lunar Series, of which you have the 2009 Ox, sell for around $1,400. The Ox at this stage of the series 2 lunar coins has the lowest collector interest it seems, going by prices. In any event, you might be able to sell your 1kg coin for about $1,400 or so.

A dealer is trying to sell one in the US for $USD 1,499 but there is usually limited demand for these coins.

http://www.apmex.com/Product/59659/2009_Year_of_the_Ox_Gemstone_Eye___1_Kilo_Silver_Coin_S2.aspx

3. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

4. Matthew 26:14

It's pretty much a dud you wouldn't want to put your $$$ into.

5. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why are Ox coins such a dud?

In the future they will be worth something, well I mean Ox coins in general because people would want to collect their set.

Slam

6. Matthew 26:14

I mean its a dud compared to the others in the set. A set of 12 coins will not have each coin of the exact same value in years to come. Series 1 has shown the Dragon, Snake and Horse are the coins to have, trading at premiums far higher than say the Pig. If you offered me an Ox or Dragon to buy at the same price I know which I'd take in a flash.