Lunar Dragons - Tiny Australian Dealer Allocations

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Matthew 26:14, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Anyone contacted a dealer who pre-sold to see their response ?

2. Lunartic

Lunartic Member Silver Stacker

Im interested to see what the price of the first dragon on FeeBay will be.. im guessing $70 for 1oz

3. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes but no response...

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If I ran the Perth Mint I would be trying to sell for Australian dollars, rather than selling metal offshore and picking up dodgy foreign paper. ;)

5. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are keeping quiet because they are afraid they will be punished even further if they spoke up.

6. Lunartic

Lunartic Member Silver Stacker

Oppression ====>>> Rise of the LunarStackers

7. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I think 1oz coins are overrated anyway. From what my local dealer keeps trying to push on me the RAM makes better collectables than the PM eg. kangaroos - lunars excepted i would assume, but i avoid numismatics mostly.

I think it would be wise for the Perth Mint to break their silence and simply explain the allocation process, and while they are doing that please explain why direct purchase is so much more expensive than sourcing from other dealers even when postage is considered.

On the letter v phone call situation, mass letters via template are legitimately ignored but a letter is better then a phone call as a response is required (by any business worth their salt).

While i may lose out on the premiums and thus not be highly successful as a PM stacker, i don't think i'll be breaking my back to get rolls and rolls of the Dragons based on what i anticipate them to cost. I'd only like a few coins of various sizes.

8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would prefer 10oz and 2oz coins anyway. Don't know what all the fuss is about 1oz.

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

Why do you believe this coin size to be overrated? Just curious. I can understand avoiding numismatics - it takes knowledge to buy and I haven't been around PMs long enough to accumulate anywhere near enough to make sensible decisions. So when I buy a coin, its because I think it'll be useful for post-SHTF day. That tends to leave me buying one oz and less.

Would value you outlining your reasoning - which we may have to take to another thread (sorry, guys - this is not a hijack attempt! Just a "wonder why?" moment)

10. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

My reasoning behind why i prefer other sizes than the 1oz is simply on personal preference. I prefer the 2, 5 and 10oz coins over the 1 and 1/2oz coins as the designs are easier to see and the coin has some weight to it. I also think that the 1/2kg and 1kg coins are too large but others seem to like them, good on them.
    I do not believe in the SHTF hype and do not stack metals for that reason. I buy food items etc in bulk not for SHTF but for economic reasoning - it's simply cheaper to buy in bulk.
    I apply the same reasoning to metal that i buy.
    I'm not putting down the desire of others to get them as it has nil impact on me. Yes i do have a small collection of 1oz coins but overall my coin collection is not that impressive. I've never bought a roll only a few individuals here and there.

SilverPhoenix, I know that these will be highly sought after and if you have the energy to source these coins it may be worth your while. I just don't. I'm also no expert - just a lazy stacker who generally plays the spot price as opposed to the variable premiums available for numismatic items. Hence my focus is more on bars to get more metal for my money. I'd suggest that this be considered in assessing anyone's comments on a forum. :)
    Hope this helped.

11. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

If they simply put a mintage limit in #'s on the 2 and 10 oz and even 1 Kg i'm sure people would go ape for those aswell

12. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

I think I am one of the least willing to pay over spot for them on here. I would really love some but I can't justify 'investing' in $10 over spot silver. I'm a stacker not a coin collector.

But damn I woulda loved some for the same price as a koala from a secondary dealer :)

13. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I saw the Perth Mint reply to Golden Pelican that is now a closed thread - who on god's green earth would start complaining? Very good way to find yourself out of favour with the Perth Mint and business soon thereafter for any bullion dealer.

14. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

thats why it might be best if we zip the lip for a while otherwise the already allocated stuff may get withheld

15. lionfishcoin

lionfishcoin Member

I contacted BB, the answer is there is no impact to the preorder under 2 rolls (40 x 1 oz dragons)

16. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

Yes, it did. Thanks.

I agree with your comments on the easier to see designs and having some weight. I remember my "disappointment" when I first saw a sovereign. Small, thin and insignificant for the role it played throughout its history. One imagines something slightly more impressive than a 5 cent piece. Also the "my god, they're so small" feeling when looking at 1/10 oz coins - I needed a magnifying glass to see the design!! (And no, its not all old age!! :)

Never having held a kilo coin, I can express no opinion (worse luck).

And to be honest, I started my new pile with 20 oz silver bars because I felt unhappy about paying for labour. I remember selling an engagement ring that I'd spent an arm and a leg on and getting the gold valve for the ring and some piddly little figure for the stone. Labour, "creativity" and emotional appeal play no part in resale. I'm not a coin collector either - just get some for the designs and my perception they'll be useful. Hence I don't normally buy proof coins (although I do have two - for the kids :)

Thanks ofr your viewpoint. I'm always intersted in why people collect what they do. Suppose I'm just curious! :D

17. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I just had a look on Gainesville - they have every silver Dragon size listed for "alerts" on launch, EXCEPT the 1oz size. Looks like they're not even planning on listing them at this stage - they either didn't get any/enough, or they're going to silver squat on them and release them at a later date at a premium :/

18. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The 1 oz silver listed at next to the 1 oz gold.

19. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

I hope that is not an indication of premium.