Liberal democrats

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by volrathy, Sep 7, 2013.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My immediate thought was those sports fan shockers and hoon votes.

The assumption would be that people knew what they were voting for. I think that people were using these candidates (and the others of similar ilk) as an up yours to both major parties.

It turns out for the best since the Senate will be a true house of review and Bills will not be simply rammed home on party lines. I will never vote for the Two parties in the Senate ticket and I'll always put the odds on favourite last for Senate in the hope that we don't end up with a rubber stamp Senate.

So anyway, democracy is over for three years now so we'll revisit this all next election day shall we?
    ;)

2. SilverSaviour

SilverSaviour New Member

I asked a guy at work if he had heard of the LDP.
    "Oh the gun party ?"

So I'm wondering what you guys think. Do you think the LDP should try and bury their pro gun policy for tactical reasons ?
    Nearly everyperson I talk to is so anti-gun that this issue alone garuntees they would never consider a second thought about the LDP policies.
    I personally grew up with guns and Im a libertarian so I have no problems with them.
    BUT maybe the culture of most Australians is such that have a strong pro-gun policy is political suicide ?
    Maybe it would be a better idea to take a softer approach to this issue, then obviously push the fundamental policies of the LDP.
    Opinions ?

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

LDP have already given in on a few other issues for exactly that sort of reason, so what's one more? :p

Seriously though, Rinchin started a thread a while ago about taking an incremental, "moderate" approach. If such a strategy is to work I think they should not drop the underlying position and advocacy but to commit to such a policy not being implemented until society is ready.

4. SilverSaviour

SilverSaviour New Member

Yes, I was thinking along those lines too.
    They could just start with 10% tax cuts for everyone !
    We might have to live with a little less government statistical analysis of [insert bullshit] but I'm sure we can manage.
    significant changes do not happen overnight (not peacefully anyway). For the same reason you cant force a country to be a democracy, you cant push the people into extreme (relative) political views. I see a very slow change over many years, as awareness of common fallacies are slowly eroded.

5. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

MSM will portray the LDP poorly whether it's the "pro gun party" or something else. They may as well "stick to their guns"

6. SilverSaviour

SilverSaviour New Member

I contacted the LDP group in brisbane, I have been thinking of going along to one of their meetings for a long time...
    Maybe I should, its a tough one though, I don't support politics in general. So I'm not sure if Im a hypocrite for getting involved in politics