Left unimpressed with 2010 panda ebay prices

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by upandaway, Mar 21, 2013.

1. upandaway

upandaway Member

Hi guys,

Did a quick search of recent normal 2010 silver pandas sold on eBay and average price was around $43 AUD including 20% VAT. Have to say I was left less than impressed. Considering this was the final year of a mintage that isn't in the 6-8 million range they are basically trading at the same price as a wildlife coin.

Perhaps some of you who deal regularly with pandas could share your views. I realise silver is not flavour of the month at present but I really thought they would have been climbing higher than this by now.

I was after a 100-200 or so (which for normal avenues like local trusted bullion dealers is difficult to source) but I'd basically be paying the same as a single coin on eBay of all places.

If it's a sleeper it is sure in a deep one! What does the panda bible list these at out of interest?

Thanks

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Here is my 2 cents , for what its worth. The 2010 is not a very special year i think $42-$46 seems about right , still a very high mintage and honestly many that I have seen have lots of problems with white spotting but that could just be me. I had several graded before I knew better and they came back as ms 66s and 67s , great looking coins but blotchy spots so a total loss for me. someday they could fetch higher premiums but it probably wont be for a while you really have to go pre 2009 to see much of a premium at all. I hope this helps.

3. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not an expert panda collector but the price seems too low for 2010. Maybe a one off lucky bidder to get one or two at that price. The complete listing I saw still aud$50 after the fee taken out. Happy hunting.

4. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. gerald

gerald New Member

I agree with silverstar1, this was a bad year for spotting. I once looked through nearly an entire sheet of these and they were all spotted. A short while later I found another dealer who had a good batch (no spotting). My guess is that the non-spotted ones will in the long term bold their value well.

6. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

I sene in a bunch to grade, all prime when they went, didn't NCS, 2 months after they came back--milk spots galore :mad:

7. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

I think I got lucky. In Apr 2010 I picked up 7 MS 70 PCGS 2010 Pandas paying an average of $86 ea. After reading this thread I pulled them out to check. No spotting on any of them after 3 years. Here's hoping they stay that way. The down side on these is the MS 70 population of 14,697 (last time I checked).