LDP Federal election ad

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mmm....shiney!, May 18, 2016.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just pointing out that politicians, sportspeople and other public figures are not infallible. I think bordie mentioned something about having humans in charge of other humans - no one is perfect.

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think we all can agree on that.

3. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I actually agree with everything in your example :p
    However, I think this shows he's unable to take a joke unfortunately.

Lucky I'm voting for his policies and not his sense of humour.

4. mmm....shiney!

The older you get the less funny you find people spending their time trying to shit stir others. :)

5. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Bord and Shiney, you guys are being way too defensive. It was a funny segment and they did a good job of showing him as a hypocrite.

Again, that doesn't change the fact that his policies are way better than any other option. But you guys need to learn to be able to laugh at yourselves and parties you support.

6. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think Shiney's implying he's too old to have a sense of humour any more! :lol:

7. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I love it, that's why I can't get enough of South Park etc.

8. mmm....shiney!

No mate, he isn't a hypocrite, it wasn't free speech, it was a prank, a joke and quite tasteless in its intent and execution. The producers were expecting an entirely different reaction from DL than they got, they were surprised. I think we've made it exceedingly clear what our position on free speech are and how this was not an expression of free speech.

I don't watch much comedy nowadays because to me a lot of it is juvenile. I also get the irrits listening to the presenters on Triple J too, but I like the music so I put up with it or turn it off. If I wanted to see young people do stupid shit or bang on about crap I'd go around to my kid's place and listen to them or watch the news. :)

9. mmm....shiney!

It's sorely tested at times. ;)

10. col0016

col0016 Active Member

You can't be serious?

DL says that the Wicked Van jokes that many people think are tasteless and offensive are funny and that anyone who thinks otherwise is a twat.
    The Chasers take him up on it and make a van with THE EXACT SAME slogans except they have his name in them.

How can you argue that that is not free speech?

Not that we actually have free speech, although you could argue that this falls under political free speech.

Unfortunately for everyone involved, you don't get to choose what free speech is ;) If you only want free speech when it suits you...

11. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Out of curiosity shiney, what reaction do you think they expected fom him? Certainly some pollies have a bit of fun with the Chaser, but I think it takes time to build up the necessary thick skin/rapport. I was surprised to see him react the way he did, I'm sure he knew he'd get the Chaser treatment sooner or later and I thought he'd be better prepared for it.

Agree generally with you re: Triple J, the music is (sometimes) good but the talk is a load of shite most of the time. Has it gotten worse or have we just gotten older?

12. mmm....shiney!

They were expecting him to get a laugh out of it.

13. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That would have looked a lot better for him.

14. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Well I guess you must think you are making sense.

But if I try to understand your claim, you seem to be saying that because Leyonhjelm defended this Wicked Campers business and I made my observations we are both "petty authoritarians masquerading as Libertarians who try to shut down anything critical of their position."

Yet you have no issue with comedians masquerading as free-speech proponents, trying to "shut-down" Leyonhjelm through public humiliation and ridicule for a position he has that they are critical of?

You would not see any irony in that, I suppose. Which is also deserving of sympathy.

15. SpacePete

If you and Leyonhjelm take offence then that is your problem, not some lefty plot. Leyonhjelm seems to have gotten over it and is back to his old self on Twitter. Maybe you should follow his example? Or maybe you're still scared of lefties under the bed ready to silence poor little victimised libertarians at every turn.

Have you filled out the hurt feelings form yet? If so, shove it up your anus as instructed.

16. CriticalSilver

That is quite true and is precisely what opposing the intolerance of political correctness is all about.

Here's a real interesting example of that kind of intolerance and self righteousness in seeking to enforce political correctness:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-30/leyonhjelm-tells-women's-rights-activist-'stfu'-on-twitter/7557830

Leyonhjelm tells someone on twitter to "STFU" and suddenly it is framed as "... telling women like me..." He wasn't telling women as a group anything, but telling this person as an individual. Then, she carry's on with..

So Leyonhjelm tells someone to "STFU" on twitter because she doesn't understand the principles of free-speech and instead of responding as an individual, she immediately couches her position within some larger, politically correct context and implies that attitudes need to be controlled, clearly demonstrating that she doesn't understand the principles of free-speech.

This is all too damn interesting. I've got to stop letting it distract me.

17. GBN

GBN Member

I read most threads on SS without feeling the need to weigh in, but I gotta point out that what was written on that van was a claim (implied) that she had received oral sex fron DL, and that he isnt that good at it. If she can't prove it then this both baseless is defamatory, and taking action to protect his personal property (in this case his reputation) would be entirely consistant with libertarian principles. He could have called the coppers, he might even choose to sue, still no hypocrisy.

18. SpacePete

That would make for an interesting court case.

19. CriticalSilver

I wasn't taking offense, that's just your projection and inflated sense of ego. I do think you should pull your head in a little though for the standard of the forum. But I am just finding the principles at play here stimulating, although not in the manner to which you seem inclined!

Free-speech within an increasingly pervasive culture of politically correctness? What a challenge and I wonder if its the silent majority versus the vocal minority. Or if this will help or hinder Leyonhjelm and his LDP at this late hour in the campaign.

I think you have it well aligned though, with the propensity for political correctness lying with collectivists.

20. SpacePete

It's not a dedicated Libertarian forum so there is no standard for staying silent when convoluted LDP post justifications rear their head. Maybe you mean we need a break from all these libertarian threads, but you'll have to raise that with the op because I believe he has every right to create them, even if I think they attract a predictable level of dumbassery from the usual suspects.