Knowing thy enemy? Information on sovereign fakes and replicas.

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by SOA, Jun 3, 2012.

1. SOA

SOA New Member

So, I have a query or two, as I'm moving towards stacking gold over silver in the coming year or so.

I like the Sov, as I have some British heritage (amongst others) and strongly prefer the aesthetic to the Australian and other coins. They mount nicely in readily available jewellery (I have a sov ring or two acquired in my younger years of which I'm rather fond) and bollocks to the numisimatic value, but the fact that its a Government issues currency coin acts, one would assume, as at least some degree of deterrent to counterfeiters.

Anyway, long story short, I've been doing some research on what we run into in terms of non original Sovs. These seem to be the middle eastern 'jewellers copies', and your typical items such as cast (read: crap) replicas. I've absorbed about as much as I'm likely to from the Chards website.

Without a job in this industry (studied law and state security stuff, but trying to develop knowledge in this area which might allow a transition job wise one day... who knows) I'll never be a subject matter expert, but I'm trying to get a better feel for this coin, which I plan to stack, with any luck.

Anyway, any and all information on what to look out for in Sovs, from those with first hand experience/who have handled or detected various types of knockoffs, is very much welcomed.

Look forward to becoming part of the furniture around here!

Regards,

Stewart.

2. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

use either fisch or the old style jeweler scales as there are sovs of remarkable quality on which the only difference is a lower carat of gold and welcome

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Buy some from a proper source to get started.
    Buy good digital scales that weight grams to read say 7.99
    You might struggle with stability if the scale reads 7.995 for example, unless you pay a lot for precision. The cheap versions are a pain !
    Once you have the real coin in your hand it is easy to compare with others for diameter but less so for thickness so buy engineering vernier gauge or micrometer.
    Set the gauge to the thickness of your good coin.
    Weigh the new coin and it should be fairly close.
    If it weighs slightly less then it should slide through the gauge. If it weighs say 0.3 g ( or more ) less and does not slide through the gap then you may have a fake.

Difficult to compare on colour also as the older sovereigns tend to be more yellow, some have a coppery tone or lustre and the newer coins have a more polished appearance that also makes them look different.

The differences between proof and UNC are very significant and some sellers mistake the shiny new bullion coins as proof - there is a world of difference but may not be that obvious until you have the two side by side.

Once you have handled a few different coins you will have gained more experience.

If you can get half sovereigns for about half the full sovereign price they might be worth collecting also.

If you are rich then collect the boxed proof sovereign sets. The 5 sovereign coin is a real beauty !

4. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Definitely definitely get your hands & eyes (& scales) on as many Sovs as possible - once you get to grips with the appearance & weight and the different mints (always when looking thru bu Sovs & half Sovs keep an eye out for Aussies, Canadian, South African & Indian marks. A mine of info @ Cruzis as you probably already know. If you want to get a grip on top-end prices head over to Jaggards (same company as KJC Bullion) for a rough idea of what Aussie Sovs can sell for internationally. http://www.cruzis-coins.com/sovs/sov.html ;)