Kilo remints

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by dccpa, Jan 4, 2016.

1. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

Thankyou for this data cheer$

2. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

makes me wonder what kind of "thank you" gift he will receive :p

3. bigsky

bigsky Active Member Silver Stacker

I have kept a pretty good eye out on the kilo lunar availability and prices over the years
    and I cant work out whether they have reminted after the late 2013 early 2014 batch or not.

That was nearly two years ago now. Before that remint meeces had gone for up to AU$2k from memory,
    you would be lucky to get $1200 a piece now, yeah spot price has dropped but so has the AUD, so i would guess
    a loss of premium of around $400-$500aud per coin or thereabouts caused by the remints.

The remints sold like hot cakes initially, that was before it became clear that the PM were reminting
    them, it was all kept under the carpet, no one wanted to say they were remints, and most didnt know
    at the start. But as soon as it was confirmed the premiums that had been built up over time evaporate
    overnight and demand quickly disappeared.

That is exactly what will happen again if it is confirmed that PM are doing it again, so they have to be
    very careful and thoroughly think through what will happen and how much more damage they will inflict
    upon collectors, after all they are only making around $20-$30 profit per coin after costs anyway. So short
    term profit but at what long term cost to current collectors.

Yes, I saw what silber-corner were selling, but my thinking was surely other dealers would have orders
    in for the current high premium kilos like the tiger, mouse and ox as well, but these hundred or so coins
    were only being offered by silber-corner, so just maybe they bought a whole lot in the 13/14 batch and
    needed some cash or one of their customers did, who knows, but they didnt show up anywhere else, so
    that makes me think there has not been another batch made. What makes me think there has been more
    is that there was very little premium on the coins when silber-corner was selling them, surely they could have
    done a lot better for themselves pricewise if they didnt try (and achieve) quick turnover, it looked to me like
    they thought other dealers may be getting them to so wanted them gone hense cheap premiums, so who knows
    there is good arguements both ways, same as the PM declared mintage, all depends on timing of the 13/14 batch.

So, many of us would love to buy a whole bunch of tigers, problem is that everyone else would love to do
    that too, it looks like easy money, I would sell everything and mortgage the house if I could get 1000 tigers
    at wholesale rates IF i was the only one getting them and they were not offered around, but I think they
    would be and any premium they currently have would be nearly wiped out once it came to light.

So just because Perth Mint CAN remint them, it doesnt mean they WILL, and if they do there shouldnt
    be open slather on them, there are ways here that could almost be a win for the PM and a breakeven for
    current collectors, if this is handled well.

Better yet, end any speculation and call a end to any idea of remints, simply declare the mintages closed.

cheers grant

4. ninteno

ninteno Member

I think more they did a remint as sc shows always 21 days for delivery when they get a confirmed order placed at the mint.

EDIT: made a quick check on ebay, no mouse, tiger or ox available. Is it time again to offer them ?

5. bigsky

bigsky Active Member Silver Stacker

that info makes me more inclined to think they were remints, unless they already had them sitting somewhere that takes
    around 21 days to ship, maybe they were purchased in the depository program at PM and then released from there, we will
    have to see when the mintages are updated, but agree it does look like a remint.

If these are remints, then that says to me that it is relatively easy both volume wise and time wise to get them, that goes
    against what goldpelican posted and what I have heard, would other dealers not want these as well? the premiums in
    the secondary market for the tiger, mouse and ox are 50% to 100% over spot so there is currently a very healthy profit
    for an apmex or the like to make here. So why only make these available in Germany to one dealer.

Is it time to offer them again?
    If these sold by SC were not remints then it has taken 2 years to find a good home for the 13/14 batch and premiums to be healthy again.

If it turns out SCs were remints or another major batch is released, then the premiums that have been built up over the last
    two years will go again and who would buy them for much more than spot, because there will be the understanding then
    that these WILL be produced again, so the premium will not come back till the end of series IMO this time.

Perth Mint dont make huge profit on a couple of thousand kilo coins, some dealers might, but most dealers will offer them
    at pretty similar prices to current years lunars, the premiums (that will be lost) that collectors currently have will be greater than the profit
    offered to the mint and dealers, so if they want to keep the end buyers of these coins on side, why would they remint

cheers

6. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Selling like hot cakes. Already down below 270.

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Good for JM bullion, they really are selling like hot cakes. 590.00. Wow. Too bad all my money is tied up, or I'd be buying 40 kilos right about now. LOL. But I can't get a single one because the cash is dried up. Kudos to those sucking these bad boys up.

8. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmm. I wouldn't call that selling like hotcakes :p

9. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

damn I need money

10. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Haha sounds like a kilo rabbit discussion all over again... Lol

11. idratherbgardening

idratherbgardening New Member

According to the folks over on reddit they had 479 yesterday morning. More than half gone in 24 hours.

12. vmatveyev

vmatveyev New Member

Already down to 173.

13. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I hope disappear quick before they start dragging the tigers premium down.

14. ninteno

ninteno Member

it is already down for months, no real chanche to sell on a profit after spending bunch of fees on those too big us companys.
    the people you could sell to are aware about the remints and if they really want a tiger they simple wait.
    premiums on secondary markets are done for kilos

15. Altima

Yeah. Unfortunately the appearance of kilos at such prices will drag the premiums down. These tigers used to sell above 800 USD on eBay. Doubt you can get those prices now.

16. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

its been going for years,back and forth and people still buying these kg coins and when reality hits they upset as they cannot get back the premium.be smart and buy something else....

I dont get it why is this thread 3 pages long.....

17. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I contacted the appropriate person in Perth Mint - they confirmed that they have not reminted any previous year Series II lunar kilos for about a year or maybe longer, and that the stash was therefore likely a buyback of "new old stock" from the secondary market.

18. ninteno

ninteno Member

if there are remints normally mouse, ox and tiger pop up together

19. Altima

Thanks for the info. Interesting how dealers are still able to get their hands on such large quantities of kilos though. When I ordered some from Germany, they came in mint packaging and all.

20. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Regardless of whether they are restrikes or not their policy is very clear that they can restrike them until the end of the series. I don't like the policy but it is clear nonetheless. The other restrikes were a bit of a different situation and just a horrible decision based on greed.