Kilo remints

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by dccpa, Jan 4, 2016.

1. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

ninteno, not sure why that doesn't make sense to you. China is the only mint I have seen switch to grams and they could be doing it to make extra money just like their constant under weighting of silver Panda coins. I haven't seen other mints follow suit. Even if other mints change their weighting systems in some future year, the current weighing system is the troy ounce.

2. sammy

sammy Active Member Silver Stacker

Have a look at post #10 on this older thread:

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-51328-2008-or-2009-mouse-ox-silver-kilo-series-2.html

It suggests that you could get a few hundred of the older lunars reminted. If that's the case, then I think the PM's 1tonne limit applies to a range of coins an not just one type of coin. We'd still need to wait until they'd have the spare capacity to produce them though, but I'm optimistic if we can get a group buy happening here for some point in the next few years.

3. vmatveyev

vmatveyev New Member

I just spoke to PM Sales and he told me that minimum amount for remint order would be 500 coins (kilos), but it would be up to their marketing folks to accept remint orders.

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Exactly. Up to the marketing folks. I wouldn't hold my breath folks. I'm sure there is good reason why we don't see a lot of remints happening in these kilos. And I don't think money is the issue. APMEX can sneeze a few million bucks. I think they may say until 2019, but to get them to do it, is another matter. Maybe they are gun shy over 'reminting'?? I know their language says they can, but maybe they don't want to. Don't worry, I'll have some horses for sale for about 1400.00 a pop.:lol: :lol: :D

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1400? You could sell them for that now :D

Ebay 351551053600 and 231720881149

Edit

Above coins (Ebay) are proofs not bullion. :)

6. Holdfast

Personally, I think the market has had a gut full of re-striking coins.

Sure, Perth has laid down their mintage policy but why would they want to upset the apple cart when there's already hostility towards such policy. (And those dealers who try to piss-off folk who already own the coins)

imo, if Perth intend to bring forth a series 3 (Three) lunar in 2020, they would be shooting themselves in the foot by re-striking series 2 when the series gets closer to 2019.

Hopefully Perth have understood what the market wants...Limited Mintage or The mintage closes (Declared) after 12 months.

Stackers want to be able to buy good quality bullion coins with the hope ofa numismatic gain; we pay a premium for these coins to do that, otherwise we may as well just buy bars.

7. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think bob is joking LOL.

However, one new members here demand 18K for 9 pcs which is average 2K per pieces wow 600K higher than BOB.

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

barsenault, under the scenario I envision, the PM will have some available time to mint the kilo.

holdfast, the PM has shown time and again that they will risk pissing off the market.

500 kilos at sub $10USD silver would be less than $200,000. barsenault's bonus check is more than that.

9. Holdfast

Yes!

And if wasn't for some of us, the re-strikes would continue and there would be no "declared" limited mintages.

Fortunately Perth are not as stupid as some of you get a quick buck guys who have no considerations for others in the market.

Must I remind you of the ramifications and the change in Perth's policy for the good of stackers and collectors?

Do you think Perth's mintage policy changed due to folk sitting on their arse while we got screwed over by the likes of you?

Have a look at what has changed over the last 4 years. New mintage policies, new glossary of terms for multiple Nomenclature, a whole pile of "declared coins both bullion and collector.

All because, the staff at Perth saw logic, in logical argument that benefitted both stackers and dealers.

10. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Holdfast, I'm with you 100%. I don't believe the reminding of kilos will be as easy as some here have suggested. 500 kilos is just not a lot for some of the big boys out there. I mean, who wouldn't want the Tigers or the Dragons etc...to be minted, and make some dough? Apmex? Provident? Gainesville? On, and on. Those folks and many others have big pockets, yet I don't believe I've seen a remint yet - to my knowledge. I think they 'get it.'

"Asking market". Yeah, I have a sneaking suspicion they will say, yeah, but. "Yeah, we have until 2019, BUT, we're not doing it. Sorry." :lol: I just think dccpa is wishful in his thinking. But I guess time will tell. As you say, what is to stop someone like an APMEX from going, okay, I have 4 million here. I want 1000 pieces of the Tiger, 1000 of the Dragon, etc...talk about saturation. I just don't see it.

As much as others like to think the Perth are stupid folks, I think they get it. I think they have one of the best policies when it comes to declared mintage, and actual mintage, and communicating that to us, the little people. Quite frankly, I think it is the best in the world. They do this for all their coins (bullion and collectible), that is impressive.

So, all this to say ONCE AGAIN, folks, don't hold your breath thinking you'll get a chance to buy a Tiger for 500.00 when spot hits the proverbial 10.00 (I think he's dreaming, but who knows). I think Yellen will be crying uncle soon enough, and will be coming back on t.v., with her croonies saying, 'well, we really aren't serious about raising rates in March. As a matter of fact in light of recent issues in China, we will be taking them negative.' This has been her/their intent all along. Because if she raises, she's looking at 10k on the DOW, and we may get there before then.

Oh yes, I'm' having fun about the 1400.00 horses. :D

11. toblov

toblov New Member

Im pretty sure silber-corner.de had som remints last year. They had all old coins available several times, around 100 of each like 5-6 times. And to a good price as well, just looked at my old invoices and i snapped some mouses, oxes and tigers on dec 2014 for 520 euros each.

12. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2 words: stay away. Yes toblov I remember when one of the dealer offered them here but did not confirm if remint or not-only said the mint "offered" it to him. and of course big premium was attached...

if something is up in the air that it could happen the chances are it will...

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

holdfast, if you understood what you wrote, you would see how foolish it is. The other PM restrikes were of coins not expected to be restruck. The kilo restrikes are a known risk and last I checked, the PM has not changed that policy. If you don't like the PM rules, don't buy their coins. But attacking someone for following the rules reflects on your character, not mine. Don't expect any further replies from me.

barsenault, silver is inventory to a dealer not an investment. They make money off the buy-sell difference. 1000 kilo coins would take a long time to move and that would tie up valuable capital. But if you are buying silver with a multi year time period, low premium Lunar kilos would be an excellent way to invest. ASEs might end up being the better overall investment for Americans, but the critical premium information on the ASEs won't be known until the time arrives.

14. Holdfast

I know Perth's rules, their coins and have a dang better understanding than you.

The only foolishness would be if folk supported your short sighted venture.

Best to you to!

15. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

If they're not reminting, then where did all the S2 Rabbit kilo's come from earlier this year?

I believe there's still some floating around from various larger dealers..

EDIT: Earlier in 2015.. :lol:

16. vmatveyev

vmatveyev New Member

Description Sales to Feb 2015 Sales to Feb 2014
    1kg Bullion Lunar Silver Mouse Coin 2008 10,130 9,129
    1kg Bullion Lunar Silver Ox Coin 2009 17,157 16,163
    1kg Bullion Lunar Silver Tiger Coin 2010 35,226 34,104
    1kg Bullion Lunar Silver Rabbit Coin 2011 47,029 46,337
    1kg Bullion Lunar Silver Dragon Coin 2012 54,590 54,083
    1kg Bullion Lunar Silver Snake Coin 2013 31,933 30,966
    1kg Bullion Lunar Silver Horse Coin 2014 38,681
    1kg Bullion Lunar Silver Goat Coin 2015 13,965

17. vmatveyev

vmatveyev New Member

Pressed enter accidentally before finishing the post...

They sold about 1000 of almost every coin in that period. We will soon see the numbers for 2015. Based on these numbers I believe they are re-minting.

18. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Up to the individual if they want a re-strike 1 kg coin. Personally, the Perth Mint should have made a definitive limit on all the Kilo coins full stop. However, they have shot themselves more than once in the foot over re-strikes causing public outrage. No doubt they will continue shot themselves many more times in the foot ( that's their pattern of behaviour ). Go for the Nelson Mandela 1 kg coin if you still can get it, this is limited and more likely to be worth more long term compared to the 1 kg Lunars.

19. ninteno

ninteno Member

Who Owns the Gold Makes the Rules i know US has more than 8000 tonnes of gold bla bla .... ( replace has with had and you will be lighted )

20. Holdfast

And they are for sure.

Did you hear that Ron Currie is retiring soon.

The sales guru who should have been the CEO of the Perth Mint is going to announce his retirement this year.

Cheers Ron...thanks go to you and your staff; your leadership has brought stackers happiness and fwiw continuity to some degree; so glad you brought enlightenment and policies that benefit "All".

Enjoy your retirement...H :)