Jobs!Jobs!Jobs!

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by errol43, May 22, 2016.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Where will the jobs be in the future?

There are already Big M stores in the US where robots and computers do 90% of the work.Order the burgers on touch screen,.Flip the burgers,pack the order ,serve the customer and take his payment. How many worker will that displace?

In the next two years,well over 100,000 car workers will loose their jobs in Victoria and SA.

Computers are already driving tractors on farms and in mines.

There is a new revolution sweeping the world and you human, I'm afraid are redundant! :D

Machines and computers will work 24 hrs a day, every day.

3D printers will be able to build our houses and furniture.

If the world descends into a major recession/depression and every country, will the tourist industry take a hit.

How in the world, will people be able to work until 70+ years without denying their offspring a chance to enter the workforce.

Where will everyone get a job? There will not be enough to go round but still the BS will persist, train em up, educate them start up work programs for jobs that won't exist.

When Barry Jones drew up his plans for smart Australia, he was made fun of. Now innovation is the buzz word. The CSIRO is loosing jobs, Australia is going backwards in the ratings for NBN...We are only a small nation and yet at times we have invented many great items( metal Storm) is one that comes to mind yet it is lost to the US.

Now are Red and Blue leaders are on their campaign of Save my Job at any cost, going from place to place with their honey pot.

Like all the so called experts in the Movie 'The Big Short", here is our Bill Shorten and his Banking Mate Malcolm, coming up with their magic numbers, all based on the fact that another GFC is not on the horizon. Maybe they are both wrong or maybe I will be wrong..Lets hope that it is me.

Maybe we might have to bite the bullet in the next 3years, take our national borrowings up to 50% to keep our country out of the scrap heap.

At the last election the goodies were handed out left, right and centre..Maybe this time they should wait and see how the rest of the world gets out of the trouble they find themselves in. EG France, work longer for less. USA another basket case?

Maybe the Australian government should invite Tesla to occupy the car factories to produce batteries for our homes/businesses. Now that might fetch a few hi tech workers?

Has anyone here any ideas where the jobs will come from during this NEW Robot Revolution?

REgards Errol 43

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Stop buying from them

I refuse to use self check out. That's a start

3. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I always use the self-checkout. It's quicker and easier

4. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

There are lots of jobs in the design, programming, installation and maintenance of these machines. China understands this well.
    Perhaps there should be more emphasis on this as a university option rather than a degree in "Events Management" or "Sports Medicine."

5. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Do you really think robots will replace physios?

6. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Entertainment.

7. l***g

l***g Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Here's a song from 1981.

We made a modest living, but we were upstaged
    Because computers don't strike, or need holidays.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2XBA7pzjqE[/youtube]

8. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Reduce the number of jobs and people will accept lower wages and conditions to get them.
    The rich will get richer.

9. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If things can be done better, quicker and cheaper by automation bring it on.
    If you are concerned about losing your job (regardless of whom or what is the threat) I would suggest focussing inward and develop skills and attributes that make you highly desirable to the market place.
    There are a vast number of roles where it is not feasible for a machine to replace manpower, find one you like and giddyup.
    As an example in an aging population healthcare in its many forms has many opportunities.

10. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It always amazes me when people carry on about how they are suppressed and trodden on by "wealthy bosses" and that" working for the man" is a demeaning grind. Then they carry on about "job security" and cry "we have a right to a job" and "protect our jobs".

There is a very simple and obvious solution. Start a business, employ yourself and even create some new job positions yourself. Obvious, right? Gets you off the treadmill, gives you independence, set your own hours, no-one telling you what to do and it works, millions of Australians have done it.

So, what's the problem? Because any time I suggest this to someone who complains about their job I get the same answers: too hard! Too risky! No weekends, no holiday pay, no sick leave, no careers leave, no long service leave. I would have to risk my own money. Being an employer is too difficult and fraught. Have to work too many hours. Too much paperwork. And on and on and on and on.

If you want to whine about jobs you have a viable solution available to you. If you are too risk averse or lazy to take it then stop complaining.

12. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The fact is as well what you quote above does not have to be a reality.
    I plan to open my own business next year and none of those issues you listed above are even a concern.
    Realistic medium term projections have me "working" 3 days a week for 7 hours a day and earning more in that week than I currently take in per fortnight fulltime working for "the man".

13. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

They wouldn't realise it (they probably view it as a reaction to industrialisation and the mass production of foodstuffs), but these guys are a prime example of what you are saying: http://slowfoodaustralia.com.au/

I wonder how receptive they'd be to the ideas of Austrian economics then? :D

14. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRAM_LAy-Lk[/youtube]

15. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Being a wage earner in Australia is sooo last century.

I don't think there is much of a future being an employee or an employer in the 1st world these days. Too many taxes and regulations to make it worth while. Innovation and R&D is wasted investment because ideas are too easily stolen and places like China can pump out clones so fast any new invention has probably a 6-12 month lead time so you need a REALLY short ROI to make any innovation worthwhile and that is frequently impossible. There are only a few industries that I think have any kind of future here. My short list looks something like this :-

* Mining
    * Farming
    * Service Industry (Including tourism, hospitality etc)
    * Real Estate
    * Aged Care
    * Government

I don't expect any of these to be particularly lucrative for any individual wager earner or small business. My number one industry to be in Australias future is :-

* Capital Management

Have a look at the ASX. The 4 biggest companies by capitalization on the Australian Stock Exchange are ALL BANKS. Does that seem right to anyone? Banks provide a service of lending, financing etc to industry and households....yet in this country they are the largest industry in their own right and they dominate our landscape.

The rich in the West will retain their wealth in the future (mostly via offshore holdings) and make even more money by offshoring operations and exploiting the lower wages and looser regulations/taxes of the 2nd/3rd world. This is the future on current course and the best and brightest (and wisest) will get into capital management to make sure that the wealth is well invested. It is a competitive industry where good performance will actually be rewarded.

There is no future in manufacturing or any industry that can copy/employ/produce cheaper overseas. With globalisation and free trade ruling the day a lot of jobs are just being outsourced overseas. It will even get worse once the TPP gets put in place.

Sorry if that seems bleak and pessimistic, but thats how I see it going and people need to get used to welfare, automation and a decline of real wages in the West. Better to face the facts and get ahead of the trend than waste effort trying to hold back the tide.

16. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

By comparison, 5 of the top 7 companies by capitalization in the USA are tech companies.

If you want to be working in the technology space you're in the wrong country....

17. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Remove the minimum wage and remove unemployment benefits and you will have near 100% employment

Remove government regulations and the central banking system as well then not only would we have near 100% employment, everyone would also be rich by today's standards

You don't need to 'create' jobs you just need to prevent the suppression of jobs

18. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A service economy that buys everything from overseas. What could possibly go wrong?

19. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good thread.

thanks all for posting.

20. markc

markc Member

UX/UI design, programming, machine learning, blockchain technologies, task automation and robotics is where I believe the biggest opportunities for work will be in the coming years.