Jobs, jobs and jobs ... Going, going gone

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by CriticalSilver, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

it's like 2008 all over again :(

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Well if that's the case then I hope they print like a Zimbabwean dictator .50USD would have me living like a king?!

3. lamp

lamp New Member

Can we classify catalogue distribution a skill? I've tried for two weeks, really hard earned money (9hrs walk for $30)! Can you imagine the person putting catalogues into your mailbox is a well qualified professional during day time? Anyway, it is pretty tough job and I start to show respect to catalogue distributors and I've since removed the "No junk mail" sign from my mailbox so that the distributor can lighten his/her carrying when they reached my door :) Sorry if I'm a bit off the topic:D

4. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Funny you should mention the 0.5 level, because AUDUSD reached a record low of 0.48 in April 2001.

Using quarterly CPI inflation figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics for guidance. (Source: http://www.rba.gov.au/statistics/tables/xls/g01hist.xls)

Mar-2001 1.1%
    Jun-2001 0.8%
    Sep-2001 0.3%
    Dec-2001 0.9%

Hardly comparable to catastrophe of Mugabe's artificial hyperinflation.

No matter how you slice it, Australia is an export driven economy.

Even if your income/business is primarily from domestic spending, your export-driven customers are going to dry up when Australian exporters are noncompetitive due to the high AUD.

The Australian dollar is not a scoreboard for a sports team you barrack for; higher isn't better.

5. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

A rhetorical question: I would love to know how many of the people commenting on this thread, are employees of the State? Cushy, government jobs?

Sometimes things would look differently if the shoe was on the other foot.

Just saying.

Yes I work for the private sector, and no I am not in favour of bailing out sacked individuals (as long as they receive their leave etc.) .... I am all for people needing to be agile in the workforce.

7. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Then yet again I hope they print like a Zimbabwean dictator, because printing = debasing and debasing = lower AUD and lower AUD = prosperity?!

8. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

9. Guest

Guest Guest

You bet your damn arse I did.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0QN-FYkpw[/youtube]

I know how Peter feels.

He's a voice of reason amongst madness and is spat upon, laughed at and then jeered and ostracized when the inevitable happens.

Ironically, those that stand around and point the fingers expect those who gave warning to not only feel sorry for them, but also offer a helping hand when the inevitable happens

I will absolutely not be made to feel guilty for pointing out people's stupidity.

10. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

:)

I wouldn't say that you are a Peter Schiff though.

11. Ilikemetals

Ilikemetals Member

The Federal Government is also slashing public sector jobs like there is no tomorrow. My department as well as pretty much all others are pushing voluntary redundancies very hard - it's all about "thinning out" in our department at the moment, it's all we seem to talk about. Had a pretty serious speech today from somebody high up about increasing efficiency and all the drastic measures in which we plan to do so, which translates literally to: "we don't have anything close to the tax revenue coming in now or in the future as we used to, we need to make some drastic savings". This is a big deal in Canberra where a lot of us rely on the government for employment.

Also recieved an email that said there will be a Federal-wide hiring freeze, the APS jobs website is looking rather barren compared to before. Looks like things are getting bad everywhere....

12. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My missus work had the bank come in today and lay down the law to the "owner" aka mortgage holder aka business owner in receivership :(

13. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

No! O shock and perplexity, tax revenues are down and we see new headline taxes coming into effect in July. What a coincidence. Who would have known they needed to increase their tax revenue at that time?

No wonder Abbott is talking about a $500M cut to the corporate welfare of the foreign car makers. He has to cut back on staff.

At least they got their pay increases through before tshtf.

Argh! I feel like someone is running a cheese grater across the surface of my brain. . . nah, just kidding.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Never said I was.

I said I knew how he feels.

All I'm saying NM is that people who stood on the shoulders of others to get ahead and fall on their sword have a real audacity to ask for sympathy from those they undermined deliberately to get ahead.

This country was more than happy to sell out and continues to sell out to ride the mining boom and property ladder lifestyle, fulled by cheap debt and arrogantly assuming it would always be different here because (insert any reason you wish).

We are now reaping what we sow as a collective nation and now the government has blown it's surplus load back in 2008, there's no where to run, no where to hide on the issue.

As I said, Australia arrogantly rested on assumed laurels on how a wealth cycle works.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mor10bQYiB8[/youtube]

Yeah, it's different here. More safer.

What did we do to the only real authority on the subject who tried to give us warning after warning after warning?

[​IMG]

Yeah, we put him in a T Shirt that said 'I was wrong, ask me why' and demanded he walk up a mountain whilst we pointed and laughed at him.

We reap what we sow.

15. rbaggio

Well .... he was incorrect in the timeframe he gave, so he lost the bet.

Government interference or not .... he lost the bet.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

The famous 'bet' is a contentious issue, but I don't doubt the majority don't know the full details behind it.

The crux of the matter is, Steve has been a long term advocate on the dangers of debt and was one of the few who gave warning before the GFC hit.

He's been character assassinated by the media and the vested interests, hence why people point and say 'yeah, he's wrong'.

They focus on 'the bet' to define his credibility, ignore his warnings pre and post GFC.

Yeah, I note that loud and clear because that's all we hear in the media.

NOW we have a nation that's rapidly going to shit and people who have the audacity to not only stand around and say they didn't see it coming, but they actually want those who gave the warnings to not only feel sorry for them, but also lend a helping hand?

Oh sorry, we're not up to the bailout stage yet? Trust me, it's coming. The gubmint has already raided the piggy bank and there's nothing left to do but tax the middle class further to bail out the bad debt to save their political hides.

Bottom line is, the masses were warned. Those that laughed at the warnings are going to get what's coming to them.

Australia is about to really learn the meaning of we reap what we sow.

17. rbaggio

Understood. Looking into it further, apparently the 'bet' was never REALLY clearly defined. And Steve did the walk as a protest, to raise awareness, and because if he didn't, ".... Rory and the property lobby would pillory me for having welshed on the bet as Rory had interpreted it."

His take on it: http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2010/05/12/a-monkey-off-my-back/

18. kram

kram New Member

You can see him explain it here, Steve on from 12:15

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoF8ZIvhZCk?t[/youtube]

19. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

I've been paying my tax annually For the last 4 yrs and got a letter last week saying I had to pay quarterly now. Seems like there is a bit of a squeeze going on.

20. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ask 'em for the interest and you charge the inflation rate that utility companies appear to have determined and not the BS that the ABS uses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.