It's come to that time for me - - - Gold

Discussion in 'Gold' started by copperhead, Feb 11, 2018.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I have silver and will continue to stack , But I have the feeling it's time for me to push harder on gold
    I had made a good run when 1/10 was $112 to $115 per coin & did not mind the higher premium on smaller quantity But now i'll get a larger quantity , like 1/2 ounce for a lower above spot price I can accept . I prefer smaller as I feel if gold ever went high it will be easier to sell a complete minted item at what might be affordable opposed to chipping away and penny weighing out . (selling as scrap)
    I had sold peso's once and found they were well received also have sold scrap gold and admired the truth of that .
    I realize i got some Newbe questions here
    Why do people buy bars opposed to new coins the price seems the same ?
    Aren't new currency coins always best ?
    Are bars higher purity ?
    Are there defacement laws ?

1/2 oz Gold American Eagle Coins (Varied Years, BU) $687

5 Gram RMC Gold Bars (New in Assay) $227
    10 Gram Sunshine Gold Bars (New in Assay) $445

half gram is about $25
    $227+$445+25 = $697

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

My 2 cents. Buy gov made gold bullion coins over gold bars if you want gold. It is harder to make a good fake of a gov made gold coin than a gold bar. There is no real benefit to bars unless you want a bar instead of a coin.

Gold has been doing better than silver for a while, but if you think PM's are going to go up in the future (say, back up to the highs from 2011), you might want to consider silver instead of gold. Check out the gold/silver ratio chart I've attached. A ratio of around 80 is high, historically-speaking.

That means it takes 80 ounces of silver to equal 1 ounce of gold. You could instead buy 80 ounces of silver now, and if the ratio gets back to 40 again (it was lower than that in 2011), you can swap out your 80 ounces of silver for gold and have gained an ounce of gold from the time you bought (irrespective of premiums and capital gains taxes).

If PMs never go back up again, then you'd probably be better off with gold.

Generally, when PMs are in a bear market, silver falls more than gold percentage-wise, but when things are bullish, silver goes up more percentage-wise. At least that is what has happened in the past bull/bear markets for gold and silver.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/price-ratio/gold/silver/10year/

Gullintanni, copperhead and ozcopper like this.
  3. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I like that chart - I aways understood the ratio's but never just looked at it in real time . By all means , if a ratio as was 2011 could occur that would represent a fine way to switch up even during a Gold spike . I am surprised of the variations of the ratio's of silver and gold . I guess it depends what side of the fence your on , Gold some times can buy lots of silver At this time selling off all my gold will purchase a nice amount of silver.

I guess the lesson here is - A Precious Metal 20 year plan of a large investment in Gold / Silver 2008 then Game On
    sell and as per increased ratio back and forth with no concern which PM you end up with - just spikes in favor of best PM purchase power , Very intriguing
    One consistent mathematical formula is the Ratio has always varied . This understanding and willingness to sell would separate the
    investment type stacker from the Hoarder stacker

4. Ian Gillman

Ian Gillman Active Member

You have to take into account that small gold items carry a larger premium than the equivalent dollar amount of silver. I have about 20% gold and 80% silver by value right now and I am slowly working up to 25% of the value being in gold. I have found that the 2.5 Peso and 5 Peso Mexican gold coins have a good amount of gold for the dollar if you are in the USA.

5. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I had sold my 2.5 Peso to preserve my 1/10 Eagles and Maple leafs (during a purge)
    I'm noticing once more they are priced well
    and now I also know they are well received as Gold
    Very rewarding item to sell , the dealer gives a little rub on stone then acid
    With a face of approval as to say, yes fellow you have Gold here .
    also I like the old used quality of a coin you can just bag up with not such concern of harm

[​IMG]
    When you have any doubt of the value of Gold
    look at 2016 The US Gold Reserves = 8,134 metric tons less then 20,000 pounds
    that could be hauled by a one Semi

6. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

7. whay

whay Well-Known Member

.900 gold?........ Nothing less than .999, except Sovereigns

8. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

9. nutshell

nutshell Active Member

I have purchased both bars (<=1ozt) and coins.

Of coins I look for sovereigns which seem a solid option for stacking. However, I have also picked up kijang emas and pandas which were good buys as well as few other coins with high content and resalable which were selling privately and close to spot. Bullion coins from PB, RCM, etc. other than lunars and such, have always seemed too pricey for just bullion. Small bars (ingots?) and certicards pamp types were what I looked for when I first started stacking and before I came to SS and I still look for them here where/when there's something offered close to spot and I have some fiat to spare.

I can't say one is better than the other. If it is a 1ozt gold coin with 99.99 purity from a reputable mint it isn't much different than a little 1ozt 99.99 stamped blob from a reputable source. Maybe some coins will increase in value above spot maybe they won't but they will always be worth their gold content. Its up the to oneself to decide if one wants to stack coins or chunks of gold. I like chunks of gold but coins are neat and I have some of them too.

copperhead likes this.
  10. Ian Gillman

I always like to imagine that you have just stepped into a coin shop to sell your gold. If you give them a 1oz blob of gold or even a bar then they are going to run all sorts of tests on it to determine its purity. They may end up doing a full melt assay which you would have to pay for before deciding that it is genuine. They need to do that because bars and blobs have a bit of leeway in their dimensions. A well known 1oz coin can be measured and examined for faults pretty easily as it has higher specifications on size and weight. In effect, the dealer will have more confidence in the coin than they will in the bar or blob because the coin meets the higher specifications produced by the mint.

11. nutshell

nutshell Active Member

The way I look at it there is always a risk ... However, if I have a blob from SBA, PM, Roxbury, ABC Bullion, etc. I'm fairly confident it is the real thing. Certicards, ditto. As too weight, that may vary a bit but with F2F sales, a reputable dealer will weigh in front of you before the sale. Every blob I have purchased F2F at SBA was weighed in front of me before they took the money. As to purchases elsewhere, I accept that there may be a risk here at SS but that is something I accept as I think it is extremely minimal with known members. Weight will always vary with age. keep on wearing or handling 99.99 gold it it will eventually through wear decrease in weight. The family jeweler I use in Malaysia will weigh a piece in front of the customer before polishing a piece, remind the customer it will weigh less after polishing, and weight it again after polishing in front of the customer. Older blobs. especially if scratched nicked or worn will most likely weigh less.

As for fakes or "less than stated", electronic testing is precise and if I were to sell other than F2F I would prefer a buyer who used non destructive testing methods and wonder why another didn't.

As for coins ... unless from a reputable source and in original packaging, they could be fakes and if older, handled and worn they probably won't weigh up to spec. I recon that, other than the potential intrinsic value above spot for coins, things are about equal between blobs and coins.

12. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Blobs could be drilled and Tungsten inserted because they are thickish;easy to copy.

Bars are enclosed and so harder to test
    With acid ,etc and measure.
    Unenclosed bars scratch.

Small coins are thinner and have intricate designs which are harder to copy.Easy to weigh and measure,and take less volume cf enclosed bars.

Small coins are best.

13. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I was given a reading magazine today and there it is A company I'd seen for years in the same magazine with a special
    1/10 American Eagles $119 each free shipping minimum order 5 and max 10 per family . So 5 will cost $595 I'm gonna do some research
    on company but since they have had ads for years they must be fine . I can get 5 now and 5 next month then the per family introductory rate is over
    It's a touch under $1200 per ounce $30 per coin less then Provident I should just go for the ounce and pay back my savings account This is a good deal and
    1/10 is my coin of choice .

14. Ian Gillman

Sounds like it is too good to be true, selling them for under spot. Make sure there are no catches such as you are entered into a coin of the month club or you have to also buy other coins at way above spot to get the Eagles.

15. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

The company has many negative reviews people get the coins but have to deal with high pressure sales people to buy other coins
    Scripted sales people , I will read all the reviews on the BBB
    Nationwide Coin & Bullion Reserve Inc is the company
    I don't want any head ach's I'm happy to buy slow monthly for more money
    All in All if I find any complaints of any one not getting coins No Deal for me .

16. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

From what I read the company will do there best to sell me other coins that will be over priced . Some of the customers had really been taken hard on orders after the initial 1/10 coins , the naivety of these customers with unrealistic understanding related to the future profit of gold or silver is proof some people should not stack . One complaint has never surfaced (that customers don't get coins ) I am well experienced enough that I could never be talked into any investment scenario concerning gold or silver . The main thing is You will get your coins at a great price . Time and Time again the complaint was what they purchased after the Great Deal order .

17. surfsup

surfsup New Member

8k tons is 16 million pounds. You missed not just one, or two zeros there, you missed three! Hardly a single semi.

To empty Ft Knox you'd need about 300 trucks. Easily done (one a day) in a year by stealth, which I think probably already happened.

18. surfsup

surfsup New Member

Not necessarily. Some dealers get coins cheaper than we do, so by offering a deal as an enticement to buy other products I can believe it.

19. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I guess my math is off

20. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Some national distributors will occasionally sell an item at a slight loss, in an attempt to get new "blood" in to buy other stuff, usually at higher prices than what are normally seen.

I don't remember the price set for gold eagles from the Mint, but I know that the "authorized" distributors (the special ones that buy directly from the Mint) pay the Mint $2 over melt for brand new silver eagles. So when you see sites like silver doctors selling them for $2.29 over melt, you know they aren't making much per coin considering there is at least one dealer between them (silver doctors), maybe even two, and the Mint. Everybody in the middle gets a "cut" of that 29 cents. How much? I don't know, we'd have to ask mr silver doctor.

These online guys have really hurt local brick and mortar coin stores, but that is life in the jungle so to speak. Good news is the lower premiums that such competition generates.