It's A Weird Market....

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by ozcopper, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ozcopper

ozcopper Administrator Staff Member

It's A Weird Market....

Not too much being offered for sale and when good or rare stuff gets offered cheap enough, it just sits around.... Strange days indeed....

Revils, JS1880 and dragafem like this.
  2. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Honestly don't know whats going on, but I am presuming a rise in living expenses or people leveraging themselves to buy real estate and build houses is seeing a lack of free income to set aside for metals. Personally I lacked the funds to buy up all the great spot gold deals for the past few months but have found decent work again and looking to get back into buying weekly. If I don't find any spot deals or close enough on the forums that weeks budget will get set aside or put in unallocated to add to the following week.

It's hard for people supporting families and paying mortgages to find a couple grand in hand for Oz sized gold. Fractionals are also lingering in the threads though so I don't know what the deal with that is. Maybe the MSM have done a good job of pulling people away from metals? I am the only person in my age bracket I know buying metals right now.

Slimey and JS1880 like this.
  3. ozcopper

I find it hard to pay the current 30%+ premium for a 1/20th oz gold coin. I have bought for lower premiums in the past.

GF, sctpc, kilo and 2 others like this.
  4. 66rounds

Yes high premiums definitely don't help but seems even good price coins are dwelling for weeks here. Never expected to see spot deals on the forums that haven't been buzzed within five minutes. When I first registered here I was refreshing every ten minutes to grab deals. Now I just browse once a day at most and can still snag great pieces.

kilo, ozcopper and JS1880 like this.
  5. JS1880

JS1880 Member

I think a lot of new people to pms have been put off from purchasing lately. They have come in on a peak so when it drops slightly they just freak and not see it as an opportune time to purchase more pm like I do. So many people want instant or quick return like some cryptos have brought. Probably dont see the long term benefits pms bring on many levels.

66rounds likes this.
  6. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe people are waiting to see a definite trend emerge (up or down) post gold's last retreat to the low AUD2100's...before deciding to sell or buy?

Slimey, kilo, Silver260 and 1 other person like this.
  7. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Might be people who bought last year or earlier already have a sizeable portfolio so they are not rushing in to buy when prices may still be falling. Newbies on the other hand who bought in recent months have been shocked by the sudden drop in price and are still in shock. I know because it happened to me last year and it took a couple months to recover from the shock.

66rounds, Silver260 and JS1880 like this.
  8. Silver260

Silver260 Active Member Silver Stacker

Yea, I definitely noticed after this price drop that sales slowed.

A few months back, before the price jump and even during the price rise, sales were red hot.

9. JS1880

JS1880 Member

It can all be a bit confusing for newbies. Gold or silver, fractional or bars? How much should i spend? Why am I stacking? I use to ask myself all these questions and once i had a clear focus and plan in place it made my decision making so much easier.

madaw1 likes this.
  10. JS1880

JS1880 Member

Yes alot of bullion dealers were short on gold for a time.

66rounds likes this.
  11. 66rounds

Quite ironic that people rush to buy on the uptrend and stall themselves on downtrends. FOMO is a curse. That's why I subscribe to the average buy argument even though I see the benefit of buying big all at once

Jason1, sgbuyer, Oddjob and 2 others like this.
  12. ozcopper

Another weird thing, no one buys when it's on sale :confused:

madaw1, slavaja, kilo and 2 others like this.
  13. kilo

kilo Active Member Silver Stacker

I love a top because all the odditys and rareaties come out, they still fly out the door.
    Feels like we are on the back side of a high at the moment but as Oddjob points out untill a strong confirmation buyers will be hesitant, as will sellers for that matter.

madaw1, 66rounds and JS1880 like this.
  14. kilo

kilo Active Member Silver Stacker

Strange days indeed

ozcopper likes this.
  15. Slimey

Slimey Active Member

Once bitten, twice shy. With silver price, we have been subjected to more of a savage mauling over the years rather than a single bite. That being said, we are not so much shy but suffer from justifiable paranoidal fear when it comes to price retreats and re-entering the market.

16. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I too look at my average all in buy price per ounce for my stack and if I see value I'll buy....and still have been in recent weeks.

Yep, FOMO hyped people into a frenzy when the price of PM's was heading up months ago thus we saw shortages of some PM products at dealers. Now the prices has fallen, dealers are quiet as I was told the other week.

Just to add to ozcopper's musical theme....The Doors.

Silver260, 66rounds and sgbuyer like this.
  17. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

I love top too because you can buy very rare coin even you pay high premium,because the coin is available.

kilo and Jislizard like this.
  18. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Reserch,reserch,reserch-buy what you know and love the best. You can make and lose money on gold and silver and some others metals for this matter. This is like share market-you have to feel what are you doing-you have to be prepared to lose before you enter any market-gold and silver market as well. Price is important but not the last factor which will determine your purchase. Try to compare the prize on the same product in many dealers as possible around the world-this gives you this edge what you needs to be on top of this game.

JS1880 likes this.
  19. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i have some spares silver bought lower, so this discount is not sufficient to warrant a rush in buying.. will pick up some, the year will come to a close in 40+ days

20. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In my opinion, if you haven't bought in the recent dip, it will be good to buy a token amount of low premium close to spot deals just in case if the price does spike up, it will save some regrets and also to avoid gorging at a higher price. If the price falls further, it's just a token buy and won't change the average cost much.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019