IS YOUR SMART PHONE SPYING ON YOU?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by JOHNLGALT, Nov 12, 2019.

1. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

Is your smart phone spying on you? Edward Snowden knows, he was a spy, before he became a whistle-blower on the spy networks. Edward Snowden: How Your Cell Phone Spies on You

2. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sadly Edward Snowden is a fraudulent shill. He would have been Julian Assange'ed or disappeared along time ago. His "spy" role was nothing more than being a paper pusher in a government office.

paruwka likes this.
  3. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

iPhone doesn't... :confused: I believe what Tim Cook said

66rounds likes this.
  4. ozcopper

ozcopper Administrator Staff Member

Hell yes it spies on you, so does Windows 10 and MacOs.

66rounds and JOHNLGALT like this.
  5. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I firmly believe most mobile phone platforms, laptops etc listen in / can have camera accessed remotely.

Ever noticed you talking about a specific product with someone whilst phone in range and next time you are using an app that has ads, that product pops up?

But to be fair, most data is obtained cos the public willingly put all their info / thoughts / friends into apps like FB (aka Life Log) etc and also provide biometric data (finger print and face pic) now too plus people invite in home surveillance via Google Home / Amazon Echo....so I guess anyone listening in is just filling in the gaps.

News item out of NZ re Govt officials only user burner phones in China. I read something similar re Aust Govt a year or two back.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/nati...g-burner-phone-in-china/ar-AAGtYMw?li=BBqdk7Q

JOHNLGALT and 66rounds like this.
  6. mongrelmaple

mongrelmaple Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Exactly. You’d be unbelievably naive to think that your not being monitored in some way if you have a smartphone, whether it’s by the camera or microphone. Big Brother is always watching.

66rounds likes this.
  7. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Zuckerberg puts tape over his laptop camera and microphone.

[​IMG]

66rounds likes this.
  9. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

cause no body wanted to listen to him and see his face.. finally he noted that

10. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

If everything is being listened to it doesn't seem to have had much effect on stopping any crimes or catching any crooked politicians etc. I think that all these devices allow some type of secret access if it is desired, I can't believe though that people (or even some NSA type computer) is listening to every single electronic "conversation", etc. If anything, I would imagine such information would more likely be used for commercial purposes rather than big brother seeing if you are breaking laws.

I haven't downloaded any apps on my smart phone. It's the apps that really open up access to your phones. Sometimes in the fine print you give the OK to allow unfettered access to your mic and camera, and possibly even keylogging abilities, etc.

I also keep my location services turned off on the smart phone (unless I need them on for some reason).

What I can't understand is folks who have Alexa and other smart devices in the home that listen in on everything all the time. That info (I believe) IS being listened to by computer and/or humans for commercial and perhaps other purposes (non-governmental).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    66rounds likes this.
  11. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

I agree that someone is not listening into everything at this point. But also I could understand that once AI progresses, it's possible that all conversations may be monitored. Also certain words may also be hoovered up and then you go on a higher intensity of "coverage".

I also find it hard to believe all the people who put Alexa or whatever into their home. But we already allow the phone in so is it really that much more intrusive? I think it is cause people are positioning them so they can always get an answer or whatever they use Alexa for whereas I can always put the phone in the charging cabinet and forget about it.

Jim4silver likes this.
  12. ozcopper

Here is an article I wrote over 3 and a half years ago.....

Don’t Keep Your Personal or Financial data on a Windows 10 Machine!

Well not if you want to keep it private. Like many people I was surprised at the Edward Snowden revelations a few years ago. Nothing has seemed to change and in many cases things have got worse. Some corporations are in partnership with government agencies in regard to collection of data. Whilst the government has the right to collect data to try and protect is citizens from harm, in my opinion this data collections has gone way too far and is now breaching personal liberties.

That brings me to the new version of Windows, version 10. I recently installed it on my daughter’s computer and was surprised at how many privacy and tracking settings were on it. After a bit of investigating all these settings online, I have gone down the rabbit hole. According to this an article, (1) even after turning off all the tracking options on a computer, the researcher left the computer on overnight and tracked the traffic. He was surprised to find that Windows 10 had attempted to contact 51 Microsoft IP addresses 5,508 times. Some of the website addresses contacted include: (2)

Typing a phone number anywhere into the Edge browser transmits it to:

vortex.data.microsoft.com
    vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
    telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
    telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.NSAtc.net
    oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
    oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
    sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:

oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
    oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.NSAtc.net
    vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
    pre.footprintpredict.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com.NSAtc.net
    telemetry.appex.bing.net
    telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
    cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
    statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
    If Cortana is enabled, the voice is first transcribed to text, then the transcription is sent to:
    pre.footprintpredict.com
    reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    df.telemetry.microsoft.com

If Windows is left unattended for about 15 minutes, a large volume of traffic starts being transmitted to various servers. This may be the raw audio data, rather than just samples.

If you are still running earlier versions of windows you would think you would be safe from this tracking, but updates have been released that install this tracking into the earlier versions. Fortunately these updates can be removed. I found that these updates were installed on my Windows 7 computer on the 25th of November 2015.
    The updates in question are: (3)

* KB3068708 – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.
    * KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708) – This update adds the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices.
    * KB3075249 – This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature in order to collect data on elevations that come from low integrity levels.
    * KB3080149 – This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.

These recent updates released by Redmond install the "Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service" that is the most controversial component of the Microsoft's newest operating system. Once installed, the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service immediately begins phoning home to Microsoft even if privacy controls are enabled – apparently with no option to stop it.

These updates can be removed by going to your control panel, Uninstall a program, view installed updates, then put the above update numbers into the top right search box.

After doing this, I disabled automatic updates, I’ll let my antivirus program protect me rather than trust future updates.

1. http://bgr.com/2016/02/10/windows-10-spying-investigation/
    2. http://conspiracy.wikia.com/wiki/Windows_10:_User_betrayal
    3. http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-spying-on-you.html

2019 Note: I no longer use ANY windows or mac operating systems and haven't for several years. If you use a mac, you can buy a program called little snitch that will help you protect your privacy by blocking outgoing traffic.

13. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What about Linux?

14. ozcopper

No, Linux is good, I use linux only now but I must admit it can be a big learning curve at first. Linux has got a program called Wine that will let you run some windows programs as well. I use Linux Mint 18.3 as I have found it to be very similar to both windows and mac users and very polished. Some versions of linux are a mess.

Desktop.

[​IMG]

Start Menu.

[​IMG]

Control Panel.

[​IMG]

Gresham's Law, Skyrocket and 66rounds like this.
  15. Number 47

Number 47 Well-Known Member

Most of the "spying" is done by "robots" for market research to identify your intrests to taylor what advertising is pushed your way.

If onlythe same technology was used to smash drug rings, the dealers and producers wouldn't have a chance.

There are some basic measures you can take to minimise how much you get spied on.
    Since I've followed the steps in the link below, I've had no more targeted advertising.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-google-android-listening/

16. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Thanks ozcopper for very valuable information.

66rounds and ozcopper like this.
  17. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Mmmm wine.

18. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

19. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

So, that is @ozcopper 's real name. I was wondering what he looked like.

20. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks very much Ozcopper. I wonder if you had any alternative options to suggest smartphone wise? I have been using a cheapie xiamoi burner phone but have no doubts about Chinese government links. Can you suggest a safe alternative or is it useless as it all goes via telecom exchange regardless?

madaw1 likes this.