Is silver a distraction from gold?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Paulo, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Paulo

Paulo Member

Ok we all know the fundamentals for silver are sound and will make a great long-term investment. We also know that gold is the run-to metal for the super wealthy. With gold being recently upgraded to an A class asset things are starting to fall into place for this metal, like there is a grand scheme or something. With all the silver pumpers out there, does anyone ever wonder if the focus on silver is actually a distraction from the main game? Meanwhile those in the know gobble up as much yellow as they can. In order to win the game, they need to not only hold some of the asset, not only the most, but the overwhelming majority. So I guess my question is silver being pushed on us so the gold can be quietly accumulated by the inner circle? This is a genuine question.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Are they?

Will it?

I don't.

I don't know if this has actually happened yet, but in my opinion it's a good indicator. Others would say it makes no difference.

All I know is that I'm not in the inner circle, I'm not even part of the outer circle, although I do inhabit that little hexagon on the periphery on occasion, but I have a yellow preference.

I think it looks nicer and has less risk. But with less risk comes less reward and less sex.

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the distraction is actually on gold. the battle in silver has been won...there is no control on large quantity of silver in the hands of governments. the centrals banks still in control of most of that gold. this control will continue to diminish :)

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Dude.. those that can have gold... its price takes a lot of us out of the market, silver has a better upside potential with the current G/S ratio, but my strategy is to move to gold when i can but its an incremental process

i think what you propose does make sense in that if everyone just focused on one ie: gold - then yes we could all drive up that price more than currently, that is basically what a futures market did on the supply side -- doubling supply .. buy today OR by in 3 months *(a whole new supply that NEVER existed)

1for1

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

1for1, I don't understand the "affordability of gold v affordability of silver" scenario. You can spend $50 on gold eg a 9k ring, if that is all you have, you just don't get as much.

6. Paulo

Paulo Member

True mass media push gold over silver. Silver only gets mentioned on a bad day.

7. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I know this may sound odd.However ( subject to ability) would one keep buying Gold and Silver regularly and keep the relative proportions roughly in line with the GSR as it moves up and down?

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere?

8. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I dont have any opinions of value on these q's i'm afraid. I started wondering whether the secular bull market (in western countries at least) was actually more in silver than gold because the average joe who actually buys pm's knows that silver is better - hence we all end up buying silver even if gold is discussed more. Are silver buyers falling for the herd mentality despite being mostly individualists?

9. longtime silver believer

longtime silver believer New Member

Yes just buy both, if you see one alittle weak in price go for that one.Who cares if you have 1.5kg of silver or 1 ounce of gold. I don't !They both look good and we can not change the GSR anyhow.

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Ok consider a safety deposit box with X space, when X is filled to the brim with silver, GOLD will begin to substitute until one day it will only be gold, then it will be Gems and Gold.. after that ill be UBER rich!

I think if you go over $200 per purchase you COULD substitute Silver for Gold but at the $50 level getting a Ring is not the same as a 999 coin or bar, but yes i have my share of $50 gold rings -- not exactly my ideal form of investment but when you see good deals and you have fiat in your pocket you convert it to something that wont get burnt by price inflation.

1for1

11. RMP

RMP New Member

This has crossed my mind before, but I'm still banking on Ag outperforming Au and will trade the GSR.

12. warrenworthingtoniii

warrenworthingtoniii New Member

It's not a distraction as much as it is an exchange rate between the two metals. And it's quite possible that silver will displace gold as the preffered everyday medium of exchange.

13. SilverTouch

SilverTouch Active Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps Gold is the distraction from Silver :p

14. Haggai 2:8

Haggai 2:8 Member

Well done Paulo, one of the most thought provoking questions I've seen asked.

I'm of the position that you can't go wrong with either one. So stack both.

15. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

16. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

what i did, swap my 32 ozs of silver maple into one ounce gold maple. 1-2 years back.

recently swap my 0.6oz gold back into 32 ozs of silver coins. next time if i can get once oz of gold with the 32 silver...would do that again.

17. Paulo

Paulo Member