Is it worth it to get coins graded?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Silverpv, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I just received a complete set of lunar series 2 proofs that is current. I was wondering what your thoughts are on getting something like this graded? Is it worth it to get graded? There will be a coin show coming up where I can save on the shipping to and from where I can grade them for a discount. I haven't seen too many lunar S2 proofs graded. Does it make sense to in your opinion, why or why not?

Thanks!

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Checked PCGS registry don't think there are many there. Don't think there are very popular.
    Graded Coins not very popular in Australia to start with...

May be in the US

3. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Some of them are pretty hot coins when graded. It all depends on what grades you get. If you get 70s you will increase the values on those to make it worth while. 2010 and earlier are in higher demand graded......since 2011 there are higher graded populations. The populations on these is usually quite lower from pcgs than NGC so I would probably give PCGS a shot if I were doing it.

Unless you know what your are doing though I probably would not send them in since 69s don't increase the values all that much and the chances of a 70 are not all that great to justify the expense of sending them all in.

4. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

Complete waste of money for a modern coin, the only reason to grade a coin IMHO is to prove authenticity which is mainly aimed at older numi coins or heavily counterfeited coins such as pandas, grading is a big thing in the US where there is big marketing machine behind it. As Australia the UK & rest of Europe don't bother with it & I for one would never pay a premium for a slabbed coin.
    Most collectors of proof lunars would pay you less for a graded coin than one that came in its original packaging.

5. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Thanks for the info. Just FYI, I am based in the US. and I wouldn't have to send them in per se. They have onsite grading. And I have noticed in the US, this drives price which was why i asked. I appreciate the info gentlemen.

6. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

duplicate

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

main reason I like graded coins/medals is what motorbike calls authenticity. I'm one of those who needs the peace of mind, I just had a fake panda get returned to me from NGC. It looked like the real deal...double sealed with pouch and all. I send my stuff in for my own peace of mind. And someone else gets the benefit of that same peace of mind. Where I can, I will always include the COA and mint packing. This way, if someone wants to put it back in the capsule, they can break open the slab, and do so. I like the way the slabs store too. Anyway, there are pros and cons to both. I hope NGC mimics PGCS' slab with all the security features, airtite, and water tight. They actually drop in a fish tank, and no water leaks inside. Those are other reasons I like slabs. But as Motorbike says, some collectors prefer original packaging. Hence why I keep both.