is it worth collecting full set of series 2 specimen?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by hazy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. hazy

hazy Active Member

Hi lunar stackers

Just thought I would ask for some advice on behalf of my superfund. At this point I have a bunch of bullion lunar mouse and I preordered a few dragons... yet to hear about that order and I havent agitated the dealer about it but I know there MAY be issues with allocations etc. Never mind that for now.

Is it worth collecting a roll each year (specimen, not proof) and getting 20 display cases for those ($75 each at the mint although there was a thread about getting them cheaper from Gainesville etc). Aiming at 20 full sets at the end of the series.

Or would we be better off just having the rolls of whatever years and not fuss about the display cases and splitting the rolls?

To be clear, I am ONLY talking about specimen, NOT PROOF, GILDED and so forth.

cheers, hazy

2. hazy

hazy Active Member

also, is a SMSF even allowed to buy display cases for bullion?

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

The sum of the parts is often worth more than the whole part ie you could sell 12 x 1oz coins for more than a set. You typically wouldn't get your money back on the case/set and its not until 2019 the series 2 ends anyways, you want 20 cases hanging around your house for the next 8 years waiting to be filled? Those cases will be available until 2018 to buy anyways.

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

You could split it. Get a handful of cases to complete sets with, then have all the others to sell individually. I have a complete set S1 in a case for my personal collection, a second full set, then some extras to sell. Same with the S2. I don't think it would hurt to have a few complete sets. As each issue because harder to find a set should rise in value.