Is it time to cap new or zero traders on Silverstackers ?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by silversearcher, May 9, 2016.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well known tards should be required to have a security deposit held by a third party. We'd need to asses the level of tard-risk of members which we can do publicly because that would be more fun. :p

2. Flyinfree

Flyinfree Well-Known Member

No, it will still create another issue! - Ebay or Paypal might be better if you need to go through the third party.

3. Flyinfree

Flyinfree Well-Known Member

The point is that more and more newbies join this forum and their first posts were "selling" (some with photos and most didn't)! Most of them wouldn't accept "ship first" and insisted to receive payment prior delivery (some times they even don't accept F2F).

It just make our trade comment system looks useless when they said" I don't know you"!!!

4. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

Just ask for pics and use common sense. Then everything is good.

Ps: I would never trade without receiving cash first. If there is no trust in me or my items, the buyer may fock off.

5. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Then we will never do business with that attitude. Why should anyone trust you? You have no feedback or proven ability to deliver. You could offer me an ounce of gold for $50 and I would decline to send you that money as your mo is how most scammers get a mark. Eg act indignant that some one doesn't trust you, make promises to deliver then simply disappear

6. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All of this sounds fantastic (insert sarcasm smiley here), but none of it will stop a person just not sending the items and scarpering if you have payed directly into a bank account. If you look at some of the cases mentioned by the OP the people actually had more posts and sales than half the commentators on this thread, so limiting sale amounts for newbies or having a post count would be meaningless.

If you are worried about fraud then meet face to face, have the seller do up a Pay Pal invoice and wear the added cost or ask a trusted member in the sellers area to do a face to face on your behalf. Other than that none of the above will ever guarantee you get the items you have paid for.

7. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

Just as you said it danman49. I personally also prefer f2f sales. Even as a potential seller. That way i can make 100% sure the buyer can see the items in flesh and its garantued that he receives them. That the latests scams where done by 'reputable' sellers proofs your sentences right. If somebody wants to scam, he will do it. Even it takes some time to gain trust over a couple of trades and then backstab the victims.

@serial
    If someone here has 100 registred trades and starts offering krugerrands for 500$ i am sure most people will pull out because something is fishy. Thats what i mean with trade only with common sense. And i always check what that other guy writes in the boards if i have never met him in some discussions.

E.g. Last year i sold a lot of coins in the 70$ region to germany via "austrian-craigslist" without any ratings and this year i sold a tray of pandas in the 350$ region to New Zealand.
    Win-Win for both sides.

8. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Absolutely, as Danman implies, 99% of "solutions" in this thread are completely meaningless.

You could have saved yourself some typing as barring the f2f, your entire post falls into that category.

9. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

If you say so lets hope you will never get cheated or burned.
    Maybe other readers are not so clever by half as you are.

10. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

It would interessting to know how much the victim would have saved in these failed sales.

I read something about 8000$.

To be honest, with that amount of cash involved, if its not f2f, better pay up a premium of a couple of percent and get it from a shop.

11. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Sorry Milky, didn't mean to sound harsh.

Your comment about 100 poster selling Krug's for $500, irrelevant. Even if they were selling at an reasonable price, if they're shifty they're shifty.

Your comment about make sure they always comment on the boards, irrelevant. Grooming?

Your comment about selling stuff from Germany to NZ, irrelevant. Grooming?

I too I hope I never get burned, I hope you don't either.

Take it easy mate, all good.

12. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

Its ok. The flared tempers are understandable.

By reading the other ones comment i meant to look if he is only lurking arround the sales threads for a quick buck or post also other stuff. Just get a feeling how much he really participates. I would trust that more than a trades counter which is a feature only entcountered in these forums.

I told i sold to germany and nz on a small scale :) Not for groming but to give an example that tradeing works also without relying on trade feedbacks. For being on the other side. This year i also bought something for 500 Euro from a guy without even a single posting! but a other forummember co-signed for him. Everything is piece of trust. :)

For bigger invests i wrote my oppinion already.

Cheers

13. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree! Anything over 1k I get it from shop (GS) and if I didn't live closeby I would pay the extra cost and have them deliver it.

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Silver Stackers and Gold Stackers are not related companies except for my ownership interests in each, and are not even based in the same countries.

The forum provides a free trading mechanism in the form of a trading forum, and as always, members are advised to do their own due diligence.

15. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

Yeah trying to save a few bucks on such hefty sums is plain stupid.
    But ok talking big now afterwards doesnt help the victim(s) of the fraud and i feel honestly sorry for the ones losing some of their hard earned savings.

16. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Never go full retard.

More to the crux of my post though. Ignoring the post about who should verify identities there are many issues associated with it, first being privacy, and if the (lets say D/L) details are stored in a DB then you would really want to air gap it from the internet, there are costs and other difficulties involved in doing this.

Then there are issues of those of us who value our privacy. I personally would not give over my details to anyone that is not legally required to have them or I am otherwise unable to get the item/service without it (i.e. all providers require it irrespective of whom it is and the item/service needs to me a requirement/need not a want)

[Backstory/Context]
    I have on many occasions purchased something or rather wanted to purchase something and I have been asked for ID, at which point I tell them to keep it and walk out (often happens when I shave, always get asked for ID), often I then purchase it at one of their competitors. I personally have a P.O. Box that is located between my house and work area (specifically not my local LPO, it is further away than that intentionally) and all postal purchases go there. I know the guys at the P.O. so I do not get asked for ID for the parcels that rock up either. Courier deliveries go to one of my clients whom are a largish governmental site.
    [End Backstory/Context]

Thirdly, if it is settled on Drivers Licence's, how do I verify those without a licence or other form of "acceptable ID". What about those internationally, how the hell can I verify a New Zealand, US, UK or one of the documents from another country

For many trades I will do face to face, I prefer this as both people turn up, both can verify, issues if there are any can be sorted out, and hopefully both parties go away happy (and its off the books which is better for both parties IMHO)

17. Sound Money

Sound Money Member

I'm new to the party and so far I've only had good experiences. My first buy was F2F which was great, since then I've made several more larger purchases and all have gone well.
    I guess it's hard to guarantee you'll never be ripped off in life, all you can do is use your judgement which is what I did by reading through the feedback on members I was thinking of buying from. After reading some of the examples mentioned in this thread about members with multiple trades going rogue that does raise some concern, but it's not going to stop me purchasing when I find items I'm interested in.
    The OP suggestion of limiting the trade price of new members may have some merit however I think the value of $250 is far to low, that would basically preclude me from selling anything as I mainly only buy 10oz + silver & Au coins.
    Anyway, I just wanted to give an opinion, it may help me in the future if "contributing posts" are counted before trades are allowed :)

18. tas stacker

tas stacker Guest

No offense to anyone but it is a free market just do the due diligence if the seller or buyer seems bent dont deal with them
    The community here is very good with new people such as myself you get to know people they get to know you ,and yes there are people who are out to fool and rip you off and that happens everywere, but if we start a which hunt were dose that leave us,only certain people can sell or buy? Again it's a free market so that's keep it that way, the admins do a good job with fraud after all its everyone's forum and as I have read if you rip people off you will be found and confronted , and if the police are involved well that's it your in deep shi# cause that's what they do
    I am off to post a item express to a new member who payed for his item without any hassle and in a polite and timely manner

Anyway my 2 cents

Tas