Is it time to cap new or zero traders on Silverstackers ?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by silversearcher, May 9, 2016.

1. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

For months now it has been noted that many accounts on Siverstackers are newbies or those with zero trades selling large volumes of bullion. Many such traders are listing without any photos, nor have any feedback history. In light of many trades turning sour such as silvermernda, or Goldenjosh88 to the latest Action Jackson saga, isn't it about time that sales limits are restricted till a certain amount of trades have been successful. For example - For the first 5 trades it could be capped at no more than $250 each individual trade at a time ( no multiple trades ). Once a certain amount of trades have successfully transpired and feedback has been received, the trader can move on to the next tier of capped sales. Also, each trade should have a photo of the item in question with their account name tag inserted with it ( much like Chipmunks photos ). This gives a potential buyer some proof that the item they are bidding on has some form of legitimacy. Such measures may not halt all scams, but it will add more credibility for sellers and security for buyers. It will be interesting to see if admin tackle the rising increase of scams that have been occurring of late, or will they ignore the blatant activities of fraud ?

2. silversearcher

How can it be hard to police ? If you see a account with with zero trades or no feedback that are listing with no photos and are selling above their capped limit, delete the post out of the sales forum and message them to alter their limit. Of course, there would be only a couple layers of capping to make it easier to police. If a cap to too difficult, then at least some photos should be mandatory. Buyers do need some protection, as this will only get worse.

3. silversearcher

Sounds like this issue doesn't want to be tackled. Even a person like me on 6 trades would be restricted, but personally it wouldn't bother me. Even newbie sellers on Ebay are restricted in their first month of trades. Not difficult to sort out.

4. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Would rather people just did their own due diligence and leave it how it is, it's not admins responsibility and any restrictions would just cause people to find a work around

But I see your point, maybe we should not be so hard on those commenting on newbies sales threads so long as it's constructive comments. Plus I have seen buyers stipulate the seller to send first or would trade F2F only for initial trade which seems like Stackers are working out their own way around the issue.

5. Mintaka

Mintaka Active Member

^^ I ALWAYS check Trades. Members should check bona fides before trading.

6. scrooged

scrooged New Member

You answered you're own question.

F**k off to eBay.

See ya.

7. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That was a bit harsh :|

I kind of agree with Silver Searcher that something should be done. Don't think what he suggested is it though.

Til then just buy from respected trading members. Let members here earn their trading respect.

8. scrooged

scrooged New Member

You're right. Sorry Silversearcher.

I guess what I should have said was c'mon Silver Stackers, we love the protection we get from the multi billion dollar eBay system (which we pay handsomely for), but we also love the free shit we can do here. Do something about it.

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I'm not sure capping $ amounts is the right way to go.

One of the reasons I use eBay far more than this (or any) forum for buying is that I am more or less fully covered with eBay. There's been more than a few times that I received items that were not as described and without much hoop jumping, I was able to get my money back. There's no way that will happen here or in any forum. Besides, when I add in the occasional 8 - 10% discount, eBay Bucks, and eBay coupons....it ends up that eBay can be the lowest cost place to shop for what I'm looking for most of the time.

That said, the small number of trades I've had here were all problem free.

It boils down to risk vs reward....I am a bit risk averse.

10. silversearcher

Actually, I have over a thousand trades on Ebay. Even Ebay is not perfect, so too late Scrooge, been there done that :p. Seems that some people are happy with how things are. And yes, buyers do need take some responsibility. But, unfortunately many are too trusting when a huge carrot is dangled with bargain basement bullion offered by first timers. The temptation is often too great and can end in tears. There is no doubt things will get worse in the trading forum, as there is no limit to scams on the net these days. Silverstackers is not impervious to this. To sit back and not move with the times is crazy ! As scammers become more savvy, forums like this become easy targets for individuals and syndicates to wreck havoc. Set up multiple accounts from multiple IP addresses, feed in multiple good feedbacks with bogus F2F trades for good measure. What's so hard in beefing security up ? At least have proper photos ? I'm not saying capping is the only solution. But there are people out there who are soft targets and are vulnerable. Many would claim them to be suckers or gullible, but usually they don't know better. And these people are often the least in our community who can ill afford to lose any money. People like you or me may not be so gullible, as we have a certain amount of street smarts, but I do think something should be done. It's not a problem for those who haven't been scammed, but for those who have been, it's a major hassle. If Oz or Pelican got scammed and their lives were effected, no doubt both would look into changes. I don't think what I mentioned are major changes ! Just makes sense to adapt to the world we live in.

11. silversearcher

Yeah, Ebay will protect the buyer. It's usually the the other way around the seller is more likely to be scammed. And Paypal more than often protects the buyer. I've had 10% coupons good to use them at times. As for my trades on the forum, I usually get a second opinion from other members on their reliability or reputation. So far hassle free also. I prefer buy outside the forum through reliable sources, just like you more so for risk management.

12. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You have good points SS and kindda agree with Toozak too..

In my opinion, if a seller has a bad intent from the beginning then the no of feedbacks become irrelevant.

I keep my own golden rules to trade with SS members here :)

13. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

14. monopolize

monopolize Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps there'll be a time when an escrow type service is needed. Dealers would be best placed to provide these services I'd imagine. Bit of extra revenue when things are slow.

15. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Plus extra services like xrf testing, but I presume it would have to be for higher value trades.

16. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    Why would any business let anybody they don't know do business on their premises ?

17. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Zero feedback or one thousand, forum participant for 1 day or 10 years .... irrelevant.

You've hit the nail on the head.

18. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I would actually think that looking back over their actual post history would be very revealing. Make people have a good number of forum posts before they are traded with. Then people can go back through what they have commented on and if they're full of it or not. Would mean a lot more work for a fraudster - they'd basically have to teach themselves a hell of a lot about the industry before anyone would trade with them.

19. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They would have to receive a fee, hence I mentioned higher value transactions. You are right, if it was my business I wouldn't do it for free.

20. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Just when you thought this thread couldn't get more retarded, in walks the thought police.

If you actually reread what you have written, you don't actually have a fat rats crack of ever selling anything on here. :)