Is anyone investing in art?

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Chubbsng, Jul 30, 2015.

1. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I didn't spend enough to care less about provenance. Not sure what they are worth now...? I've had them for years.
    I hadn't really thought about selling... I just like having Picasso's hanging on my wall - they are great conversation pieces, and not many other have 'em. They have a sort of shits'n'giggles uniqueness about them.
    I think that's the attraction to my coin fettish too.

Nope, I'll let you do the Google searching... it was that long ago I can't even remember the exact dealers.
    I can remember I purchased one in a dealer somewhere in Spain.
    Another I bought when I stumbled across a Picasso exhibition in the New York Metropolitan Art Museum, and there was a art dealer selling related stuff in the Museum reception.
    I didn't search them out... just stubbled across them and bought on the spur of the moment.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Picasso's work is in the thousands, plenty available at more 'reasonable' prices. His daughter started selling some of the 10,000 works she has laying around last year.

3. gemel

gemel New Member

4. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

I have often thought of investing in art, but really dont know were to start...

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

5. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The problem with art is the gallery commission, anywhere from 30 to 40%. I bought a Norman Lindsay in 1970 for $2,000, sold it in 1975 for $3,000 to go to Europe. After commission I need up with $2,000.

I have some art work now that I buy directly from the artists, but I will never buy and sell through a gallery.

spannermonkey likes this.