Investment choices in 2013

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by renovator, Jan 1, 2013.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Yeah sure but my interest rates make cash convertors look like a charity :lol:

2. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

good luck. I'm going all out! :)

3. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

so do you agree that buying/holding Australian dollars will come out ahead of silver in 2013?
    or was that only your advice for 2012?

4. renovator

Im not sure about this year. until mid year i feel its a good bet . silver might have a growth spurt & im ready to dump it when it does .Im confident the AUD will stay higher than the USD for a while yet . There really is no other currency worth buying atm . Im glad i had pocket full with my foreign investment & will be making the most of it while it lasts .I dont think it will last forever & now is the perfect time to invest OS because you get more bang for your buck & was the main driver for me to invest OS . Ive had a lot of foreigners here wishing they had AUD accounts . Some have & are grinning from ear to ear .

5. renovator

Into what ?

6. renovator

? well tell us what you will be creating value from . I think your all talk & no substance . Your not jackbrown with another name are you ?

7. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

...and do it while holidaying in Switzerland :D

8. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hint: what's the name of the website you're on right now?

But I actually think that small pop-up businesses with low overhead and high ROI are the best investment right now. I other words, invest in yourself.

9. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Ahhh you're a Simpsons fan.

- Pumpkin futures have been going up the whole month of October! I think they're going to peak right around January...
    - Homer you lugnuts I told you a thousand times, sell your pumpkin futures before Halloween, before!

Seriously though I'll be starting to collect more assets (bullion). And develop my SMSF's assets: Securities portfolio is up 4.3% :) Bullion down 5.9% as the bulk was bought BEFORE this current dip :eek: But I'm in it for the long term.

Keep learning on my current asset classes, read a lot more healthy mind books. Keen to read the ones I have so I can finally know enough to really benefit from reading 'Trust Magic' (thanks NR). Research future positively geared properties for the SMSF. (And I don't want that statement to derail this thread at all)

It's a wonderful world, so much to learn.

10. Byron

Byron Guest

I know the area reasonably well. Property prices have been stagnant for quite a few years. Last time i was down there was a huge number of properties for sale.

Investors that overpaid back in the early-mid 00s, and have been trying to offload without luck.

Probably don't need to tell you that there are nicer parts of BB and some crappy parts (near the hospital).

Anything with water frontage/sea views is also nice imo.

Best of luck though, i do love it there.

11. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

I keep thinking this too. We are probably going t sell out vacant land this year - while it's been a relatively good investment during tough times (~28% capital gain over 5 years), my lack of knowledge and foresight will mean we'll likely be paying CGT. I think I need to read more of NR's stuff too... (I swear I have, it just hasn't sunk in!)

12. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

One things for sure as always I will be staying away from mining stocks. While I made money investing in 2012 (my cash paid interest and Credit Corp slipped in a profit upgrade just before Christmas) a lot of threads about mining stocks have silvers stackers members crying about their losses.

What do people expect, if you buy into risky mining stocks you are likely to lose money due to any number of problems e.g. falling commodity prices, cost blowouts, highly dilutive capital raisings/share options/convertible notes, production downgrades, mismanagement, lower ore grades than initially expected, etc the list goes on and on.

I know it sounds harsh but anyone buying into mining shares and losing money got what they deserved, just like if you buy a lottery ticket and lose money you got what you deserved.

13. renovator

Yep havent seen many threads where they made money. .

But i think they deserve a big pat on the back for being honest & letting everyone know about them . Theres no shame in making mistakes at least they had a go . Hopefully learning from the experience & realising that as quick as you make any paper gains they can evaporate , along with your capital ....unlike hard assets.

14. Bargain Hunter

I think people should focus on investing in established companies i.e. businesses with at least the last 5 years of profits, dividends and positive operating cash flows behind them. If you stick to investing in established companies rather than hopefuls you are less likely to lose money.

15. renovator

I think thats great advice . & have a little gamble on the penny stocks with money they can afford to lose..... if you can afford to lose any

16. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

The only companies I'll be investing in 2013 is a new business that I am starting in early Feb 2013 that is to dovetail in with my other businesses that are seperate from my property investing. I wouldn't touch the share market.

As for our banks I intend sacking them. They use to be my business partner now I'm at a stage I want to use my cash flows to fund future growth myself. The best way to do that is increase your income and decrease outgoings pay down debt and use creative home grown finance.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

17. Bargain Hunter

Nonrecourse for most people in most circumstances buying an established is less risky than starting your own business. Whether its buying shares in Woolworth's or buying the best local coffee shop in your neighborhood that's always packed and has a great reputation, or putting some equity into a family member of friend's business when they are looking to expand, the risk is far less than starting your own business from scratch, particularly if you lack the necessary experience and capital. The sharemarket is not by default riskier than property, it all depends on circumstances. What's riskier buying shares in Woolworths (WOW) or buying a negatively geared (90% borrowed) in a small mining town? I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

18. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

The view expressed is common among people who are average and average is bloody awful. I am not suggesting you are average and I am not having a go at you. People try to avoid risk. In reality from the moment you are born you face risk. People don't like change but change is what occurs day in day out.

We all face risks in everything you do. Most people like to hand responsibility off to someone else. That is why the majority work for a boss and are a wage slave. That is why over 80% of the population end up on the pension. They choose to let someone else manage their risks and they end up with less.

When you hand your money over to buy shares the company that takes your money and uses it to its advantage to earn a return. It rewards its top executives from the returns that your cash investment provided. The risk/reward that you get as a share holder who has taken the risk is laughable compared to the executive who gets rewarded regardless of what happens to your capital.

The vast majority of people who invest in the share market make no money. The last 12 years in the share markets have been a disaster. If you bough an investment property 12 years ago you have taken a risk. If you bought in a mining town 12 years ago I would argue the rental income would have been huge the capital gain would have been massive and around 2011 it would have come back closer to the mean.

The share market does not allow you to control your investment. If you are unhappy with the management you cannot take over the management of the company. We have an investment property in a small coastal holiday town that was the only property we did not manage ourselves. We sacked the agents because the return on the property in the high season was only $3000 for the month of January less 20% for them managing it and cleaning it. The last two years we have managed it and cleaned it and the return for the month of January is $12,000 each year. The property is fully let which it never was, is cleaner and has no issues with damage that we had when it was "managed".

Life is about choices. If you choose to let someone else manage your risk your return will be reflected in that choice.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

19. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

I agree to a certain extent. I prefer property over shares for the reasons you've given.

Cant forget how I got started in property though.

Not wanting to commit to a mortgage at the time I put my deposit into a sharefund. Set up a direct debit each month for an amount that I could afford to spare and forgot about it.

After 5 years I pulled it out and paid cash for a house. It averaged 50%pa over 5 years, the last two years were around 80%pa. The fund managers took their bit along the way buy I wasn't exactly in a position to be complaining.

That's the sort of scenario that the "silver to da moon" crew are hanging their hopes on.

While everyone is booing the evil sharemarket, I've set up the same fund, with the same little deposit and the bit of spare cash each month that I dont even miss.

When everyone thinks you're mad, you know the time is right.

They said the same thing last time.

C

20. jparrie

jparrie Member

There's an Indonesian people smuggling outfit that's being listed on the ASX soon. Apparently business is booming since Labor was elected.