Investment choices in 2013

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by renovator, Jan 1, 2013.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Whats your choice of investment for this year .

For me its foreign investment in property & some local if im back in town .... Surprise surprise :p: for a bit of value adding & profit taking & increased income stream .Maybe a smallish (10 -20 acre ) plot for food production I feel that good growing land will only get more expensive in the future .(mid north coast of nsw or mid qld in the hinterland )For exotic fruit or food ...theres not enough money in local produce I think doing your research here will pay off .You need to get in on the ground floor not something thats well established .

I'l give PMs a rest for the first half of the year (to be revised mid year) unless it takes a serious dive & i cant help myself ....Ive always been a sucker for a bargain (I know im brave the fiscal cliff deal isnt done yet ) Im out on a limb here & subject to change over the next few weeks/months as things unfold .

Also on my give it a miss for this year is art & collectables i think there will be a glut coming on the market for the next few years as people scale down & start to spend it (boomers in particular ) If your a looking long term there might be a few good buys

Internet based wholesale importing should gain ground again this year as more people get tired of the local rip off merchants ..Again you need to find a niche that currently isnt being flogged to death atm.

& finally still buying anything i see thats way undervalue that can be flipped immediately for profit

2. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Positive cash flow returns only for next 12 months.

3. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

I will most likely remain overweight cash for 2013 or perhaps longer until a suitable bargain comes along (e.g. sharemarket or property market crash). I'm a patient guy. I'll let others get rich quickly, I'm happy to get rich slowly, at my age I have time up my sleeve.

4. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try the old dead donkey raffle :p

5. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Looking at purchasing some land in Batemans Bay maybe this year, this will be our settle down and retire place, looking for approx 4 acres, plenty of room for two dogs, chooks, and the greatest organis veggie and fruit patch ever assembled :D

6. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

1. Finish developing and sell off current property project.
    2. continue looking for next property to develop (always on the lookout)
    3. Maintain PM's at current holding
    4. maintain cash at current holding (waiting for property to fall further/ yields to rise)
    5. Buy high yeild/blue chip shares. (small % overall,hedged with gold. If you're going to risk having cash in a bank you may as well buy shares in it and double the income)
    6. Develop existing block for intensive vegetable production. (dams, irrigation, feral animal fencing etc)
    7. Invest in other peoples time. At the moment everything I take on is done myself which is the way I like it. But I'm also realising that this is a limitation to what you can acheive over a given period.
    It might be time to spend my time where it is most valuable (business), and start delegating some of the other stuff. It wont work because I dont trust anyone, I hate paying for things I can do myself and most potential employees are unemployable. Anyway, at least I can say I tried.

C

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've gone "all in" into Christmas Tree Futures.

They've been going up the whole month of December and I think they're going to peak right around May!!! :p

8. renovator

believe it or not i knew a guy who used to grow xmas treeson his property for extra income & sell them he made a fortune at xmas .....all cash . Theres a huge market for real trees & the people that want them pay good money for them

9. renovator

I like the bank shares angle .

Yeah its hard to find good help in my experience the older guys that drink a bit are always decent workers because they have the experience & always need more money for beer :p:

10. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

I found your little peice of heaven a few months back. North Coast NSW, 25 acres with house, exotic fruit orchard (being developed,looks like they ran out of money), able to be subdivided into 5 acre blocks, 350k. Nearly rolled the car pulling in to have a look. By the time I got out it was sold.

C

11. renovator

Subdividable thats just icing on the cake !!! Yeah thats the sort of thing i'd be looking for something that someone has put some work into already . Theyre a bit thin on the ground but im sure if i looked hard enough id find one worth having a spend on

12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I read an interesting article in an old "Outback" magazine about this dairy farmer who grows grass in a hydroponic shed.

http://www.outbackmag.com.au/stories/article-view?323

I'd be very interested in Iceblue's thoughts and comments.

The price you pay for expanding I guess. ;)

* she owned the shed to begin with probably

13. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

I've looked at a lot of these intensive type set ups. So far I've considered them too risky due to the high set up costs. I've dabbled in the vegetables on a small scale and am going to increase the area to about 10 acres and see how it goes. There's money in it sometimes. At least the set up costs are low compared to hydroponics/ green houses etc.

C

14. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Im going all-in into the Australian dollar...

15. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Im assuming that the Christmas trees are used inside of the house? (most modern Australian properties dont have enough space for a tree outside of the house :lol: )

16. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I agree! I intend making lots of money by shorting them this year ...

17. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mantiques for me ;)
    Car parts , bakelite phones/ashtrays
    Don't have enough bananas for property or such things :(
    If I can restore a Porch 356 in the next 12-18 months , the next one would be free for me :D

18. renovator

I know a couple of guys who follow the swap meet circuit as a full time job buying & selling mantiques.mainly hotrod ,harley & petroliana They travel all over the east coast of oz . They get there the day before the meet & are there when the first stalls are set up & buy all the good stuff then take it to their stall selling most of it before they head home with whats left .ready for the next one . In their spare time between meets they restore some cars, bikes petrol pumps & things they have bought along the way .They make a decent living & have some great toys & havent worked a real job in over a decade. :)

19. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't have the $ to do that :(
    Can you lend me $50K :lol:

20. renovator

I tried to tell you that last year & you said Oooooh nooooo silver silver :)