Inflation

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by mmm....shiney!, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Brent Oil and Gas will be cheap at $200 USD within few months

Europe will see $350 plus USD before the end of the year

EU will implement Diesel and Petrol rationing.

Bicyles will be a hot item.

PS If you have investments or mortages factor it in.

Look at oil and gas prices and consider oil/gas consumption in April/May 2022 China is 34% lower due to Covid Lock Downs.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    adze67, STKR and jultorsk like this.
  2. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm afraid you may be right. OPEC said there's no more capacity, i.e., they are enjoying the squeeze of Europe to full extent.
    The problem is most people are so enthralled with the idea of Tesla and wind/solar saving the world that they cannot fathom they're of no use to resolve the situation Europe is in come next winter.
    Green lunatics are blaming "capitalism" instead of taking a long, hard look in the mirror.
    What an abysmal state of affairs.

adze67 and Ipv6Ready like this.
  3. Ipv6Ready

Also news commentators go on and on about OPEC crude but there is a disconnect with realities, fact is pumping more crude is easy, fast and cheap, hundreds or thousand US frackers can have rigs pumping many million barrels of sweet crude in 3 months ..... But no one fills up their car with crude.

Look up major refineries that shut down world wide never to return in 2020/2021 the mind boggles.

How many Refineries did Australia shut down 2020 and 2021?

Australia no longer really imports crude but petrol and diesel ie refined petroleum

Just like Terror and Luna lost the peg... Crude and refined petroleum are no longer in sync.

Long gone are the days for every barrel pumped out of the ground there is corresponding refining capacity ready to produce petroleum.

Uncertainty of War dictate that Russian oil and gas will stop flowing through Ukrainian pipes to Europe by delibrate actions of Ukrainians, Russians or sheer bad luck.

The ultimate madness, the green lunatics that drive petrol or diesel car to protest about CO2 and global warming and complains about the high prices of petroleum

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    STKR and jultorsk like this.
  4. jultorsk

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 11.16.12 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 11.21.24 pm.png

Ipv6Ready likes this.
  5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Real wage growth hasn't put upward pressure on inflation because there hasn't been any:

[​IMG]

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=49780

Looks like only the accommodation and food services industry has maintained parity over the past 2 qtrs, which makes sense as that was one of the hardest hit from lockdowns.

precious roar likes this.
  6. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

There was a liquor store in Aspen hiring for Friday and Saturday help, $32 -$40 an hour.
    I almost stayed there for my weekend!

mmm....shiney! and jultorsk like this.
  7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Real $ and jultorsk like this.
  8. jultorsk

Classic. :cool:

9. Ipv6Ready

10. JohnnyBravo300

One issue we are having at work now is the low cut offs at the gas pumps.
    We cant fill any asphalt machines with diesel when the pumps stop at $75.
    If you run the credit cards over and over it will trigger a red flag and lock you out for security haha.
    I wonder why the fuel stations arent raising the pump presets accordingly as prices go up but i havent seen it yet.
    $75 will barely fill one of my Subarus.

11. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wonder if we have fuel cut offs in Aus? I certainly haven't experienced it and I often fill up to $250-$300 AUD. Surely it's just there to reduce the burden of drive-offs.

12. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

In North America you have to pay before the pump works. It's a real pain in the ass when you want to fill up because who knows the exact amount it will take. Typical yanks

STKR likes this.
  13. jultorsk

Costco (in QLD at least) has $200 preset limit. Was filling the car and a 'jerry' and hit the limit. Not sure if they have raised it since $2++/l became the norm.

mmm....shiney! and STKR like this.
  14. STKR

STKR Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's pretty funny cos Costco is an American company - spreading their American fuel cut-offs across the globe.

It's stupid, isn't it?! Whoever signed off on that idea should be fired...out of a cannon...into the sun!

Ag bullet likes this.
  15. JohnnyBravo300

"Gas-and-dash" was a bad problem in the 90s in the US so now its all prepay at most places or credit card.

I can understand the prepay or pay at the pump but for a credit card to have such a low limit is odd.
    A $10,000 limit on my card and i have to run it through 4 times at 2 different stations to fuel up haha.
    Im on the clock for all of it and its still easier than shoveling asphalt but it eats into the work day now.

16. Ipv6Ready

This is long term, splitting of trade into camps will take many decades and wont influence immediate inflation over the next 5 years.

Splitting of Globalisation in to camps or incorrectly labled de-globalisation of general goods will mean inflation will hover around 5% for decades in countries that participate.

It was sad during 1990s and 2020s as many one company towns shut up and moved it to China and would have been painful for that town but the nation as whole prospered by importing lower priced goods and as we in-house these jobs we will see higher inflation.

The low inflation era was built on deflationary outsourcing.

Look around you and see everything that have made in China on it and consider iwhat it would have cost if made across town by people getting paid 50 time smore in 1990s to 10 times more now?

Why do I call it splitting of globalisation because the world isnt deglobalising only a handful of countries are, most are going to sit in the middle.

USA have Mexico, EU has low cost western european workforce, BRICs + Africa will get closer and stronger.

Close Allies today doesnt mean much, Ukraine had EU and US 1994 security assurances, ask Ukrainians what EU and US said about defending them when they returned nuclear weapons and what they think of military support. As for Taiwan lol their US assurance is about as concrete.

Australians should know allies don't mean much, it wasn't that long a go UK Joined EU in 1973 abandoned the commonwealth leading the Australian economy to 1974 crash. Looking back our dollar was worth $US1.4875.

Australian People like to blame Oil Embargo but that was fleeting, UK abandoning Australian goods wasn't.

This isnt really a concern for anyone aged 50 or more today in Australia but for those that are in high school or yet to be born, sux to be them in 50 years.

As Africa modernise and get their civil strife under control over the next 50 years...... Africa have enough resources to surpess resources prices to dirt cheap.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    sammysilver likes this.
  17. MLP

MLP Member Silver Stacker

I put in $3,500 or so not long ago in one hit so I don't think they have a cut off in Australia, but there was one place I used to go to that used to stop at 900 L, no matter the price of the day.

18. jultorsk

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  19. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

jultorsk likes this.
  20. Ipv6Ready

Are you asking about Australian version of eft with companies like Atlassian or an australian domiciled FAANG etc ie farcebook, amazon etc that you can trade in asx