Inflation and hidden gold taxation

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by JulieW, Apr 24, 2012.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Another explanation of why fractional banking is the devil's work. Although this refers to the USA tax system, the principle is the same.
    It points toward a very precise timing and strategy to exit this bull so that your assets are protected. This little article has made me realise that there is no such thing as 'profit' in this world. The game is too rigged by people who know exactly what they're doing. The only option it appears to me is to purchase real assets which are income producing and safe from destruction by the banking system. That leaves ...... ummmmmm.

http://danielamerman.com/articles/2012/GoldHisA.html
    and
    http://danielamerman.com/articles/2012/GoldHisB.html

There are more examples quote on the links.

The crux of the matter appears to be that, contrary to what I would have expected, and although gold is a perfect hedge against inflation, the ogre of government taxation on capital gains makes any asset class a losing proposition. (gold is used as the example, but it would also apply to shares, housing, etc) Suddenly I understand why the rich pay no tax. It is the only way to ensure they do not lose worth over time.

2. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

It's the same with pay-rises.

Let's say you get a 3% payrise to match what the Govt claims is the rate of inflation (say 3%).

That's a 'pre-tax' payrise, in 'nominal' terms.

What you actually get is 3% minus tax - which well be less than the rate of inflation.

Same goes for any investment really if you get taxed through capital gains.

So if you hold gold for example, and it goes to $10,000oz, but that is merely matching inflation, your nominal, taxable, gain is going to be around $8,500 (assuming you bought at $1500oz), even though $10,000oz might be purchasing-power parity with today's $1500.

The trick I believe, is not to sell your gold for fiat. But if you want to be a speculator, there's your dilemma.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Your a star JulieW, you always post good stuff.

4. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I've said it many times and i'll say it again ...

CGT on gold/silver is nothing but pure THEFT!!

5. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

Yep brilliant post again JulieW. That is why I shake my head at people who invest in property and can't help themselves from selling.

By selling the tax man steals their capital gains plus are then slugged with income tax as well because they no longer can offset their taxable income:lol:

The rich are rich precisely because they legally pay very little tax. Think and grow rich by deferring your tax liability indefinetly

Kind Regards
    non recourse

6. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

for as long as people continue voting for big government parties we will continue to be robbed by the state.

not a day longer...

savvie??

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Would be nice to straight barter with pm's. They'll probably make that an offense you will be jailed for soon enough.

8. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Barter is fine, but you're expected to pay taxes in fiat based on the fiat value of the trades i believe.

9. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mate, I couldn't agree more. I used to have a much higher paying job than I do now, but realised lifestyle was worth more. So moved up the coast and never looked back. Just give me a surfboard, a beach, and warm weather and I couldn't feel better. :)

10. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you buy gold for retirement you do not have to worry much about CGT as an average person.

Selling $40,000 value gold a year for your lifestyle for example even if the original purchase price was only $10,000 means $30,000 "profit" and only half of that amount is counted as CGT and used as assessable income, and that is 15,000. With the new $18,200 tax fee limit from the 2012/2013 financial year (and will go up further) this is no problem and you do not have to pay any CGT.

11. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

I'm glad it works for me too:D

As I have said before, being rich does not make you happy it just gives you many more choices, some good, some not so good. What you do with those choices determines how life pans out.

There are a hell of a lot more poor fat people than fat rich people and I haven't met too many fat poor people who wouldn't like changing places with the few fat rich ones. That is why tattslotto is so popular with the poor:(

90% of property owners are average investors and average is bloody awful. My posts are about not working for money but rather making your assets work for you.

This thread speaks about how taxation and inflation controls most people's lives because they are fiscally ignorant.

Kind Regards
    non recourse