I'm growing paranoid...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sonic, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Even though I don't have a lot worth stealing, I'm just afraid someone will trash my place out and take what little goodies I do have. I've always been concerned about this due to the isolated location of my house, while still being visible from a main road. I also don't get off work until after midnight, so I fear pulling into my driveway while thieves are in my house. I have a handgun, but I don't have a concealed carry permit yet, so I can't take it with me (when I might need it most). Even if I got the permit, I'd be scared to keep it in my car when I'm not at home, because while my house has never been broken into, I have had my car broken into before.

After reading that post about the different hiding places the burglars hit I'm growing even more paranoid and each ounce of silver I have sent to me makes me feel like I have that much more to lose. I don't really have enough to bother with burying just yet. Lest I want to dig it back up to add to it later.

I'm to the point I think I'm going to put my gun in my trunk when I go to work. A) it's a $500 item and B) I can pop my trunk and arm myself with it in a hurry. I can't make up my mind. I might get in trouble with the law though, without a permit, even if it is in my trunk (since it will be loaded). I'm dwelling on things.

2. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Move to Australia where you won't have to worry about guns, and the thieves only go for stacks above 70K

;)

3. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Unfortunately the people around here (lot of junkies and tweakers) will not discriminate based on size of house, or style of car, etc.

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No gun talk on the forum ;)

Just set up Back to Base/CCTV for your home and have peace of mind every time you leave. It's pretty cheap to do both these days.

5. Makro

Makro New Member

go get a dog...mans best friend !

6. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I'll check it out House (lol outhouse) I do have automatic flood lights. I DID have a wonderful pit bull, she was friendly but also a good watch dog, had to give her away when I moved but, alas, I ended up returning anyway. I now have a cat lol

7. Bigguy2468

Bigguy2468 New Member

I bought a safe that itself weighs about 75lbs, plus the Silver inside. A lot of models also have the option of bolting the safe to the floor, might not stop a determined thief, but will make stealing somewhat harder. A good alarm system helps too.

8. BoliverT.

BoliverT. New Member

Australian crime rates and go from there, I looked it up after some statements and have no horse in this race but if this is fact so be it, if not
    then someone made up a lot of misinformation. Just saying.

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

April 13, 2009

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:
    In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
    Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
    Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:
    Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
    During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
    Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
    Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
    At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
    Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

While this doesn't prove that more guns would impact crime rates, it does prove that gun control is a flawed policy. Furthermore, this highlights the most important point: gun banners promote failed policy regardless of the consequences to the people who must live with them, says the Examiner.

Source: Howard Nemerov, "Australia experiencing more violent crime despite gun ban," Free Republic, April 9, 2009

9. Sonic

Sonic New Member

A safe might be the smartest option for now. I just don't want all my eggs in one basket, luckily I don't have too many eggs to be concerned about just yet. I was thinking of getting one of those Brinks security signs and sticking it in my front yard (without actually buying the system lol) hey I don't have a lot of that kind of spending money just yet.

10. chowdersilver

chowdersilver New Member

Do you consider silver at your house more secure than a safe deposit box?

Neither are perfect, but I like the probabilities with a safe deposit box.

11. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I'm thinking more about a SDB, but until I get some gold I probably won't mess with it. Plus you have to pay for those (I'm not sure how much but I'm assuming it's a monthly fee). Honestly with the amount of land I have there is no point in dumping money towards that. I could easily choose a secure burying spot. And I will. Right now it's not so much about the silver as it is just me being paranoid every time I drive home in the dark, that I will walk into a trashed house with a few valuables missing. So far I like House's idea best. If I could record the culprits that would be ideal.

12. chowdersilver

chowdersilver New Member

That makes sense.

Some banks provide a free SDB if you have an account with them which might be worth checking into.

13. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Off to work (Super Bowl Sunday, oh boy) so I probably won't be able to respond if anyone asks me anything. Later guys. Watch yo stack!

14. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Get a really good safe but keep it empty.Bury your loot on the property.
    If you do get robbed, they will focus completely on the safe. they will go to extraordinary lengths to get that safe open....and the look on their faces when they open it up and find......your kids Care Bear collection....absolutely priceless.
    It happened to my friends parents. They eventually found the broken safe. I don't think those robbers will be back.

15. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

For you Sonic a SDB in my neck of the woods is only $200 a year.
    House your idea of a BTB CCTV is a great idea , and Marko's thought on a dog is the icing on the cake.
    I do not use a SDB for our metal, but do have one for documents and other wee trinkets i do not like to keep at the house.
    We have simple bolted down safes ,a german shepherd and and her mongrel mate and a couple of rifles.
    It is harder to own pistols in NZ so we have a couple of PCP .22 pistols that are AT LEAST as powerful as any .22 rifles .
    The rifles would be great for scaring people if they were coming onto the property ,but not much use inside.
    The pistols on the other hand are great if we were to be confronted in the house as they are easy to maneuver.
    To the OP ,try not to dwell on it to much,you do not want your life to be ruled by fear.
    I do not know our situation and you may have had issue in the past but a guard dog would be my first suggestion and they are great company.
    If serious you can under go Schutzhund training as wee did for our shepherd, it is rather expensive but we have found no need to have our mongrel under go training as she has learned (kinda) from our shepherd.

16. rara200284

rara200284 Member

Why don't you tell us where your secret hiding spot will be....

You can use some sort of bait trap for those burglars.

17. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

Bury your (small) stash. If you buy some more, bury it elsewhere, so you don't need to worry about digging it up. Draw a treasure map so you don't forget where you buried all your silver. Every few years have fun digging up everything with the help of your treasure map, put everything together in ONE place, and start again with a new treasure map.

18. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Who you rooting for? I've got some cash on the Seahawks ;)

19. mrg9grn

mrg9grn New Member

I was going for them to it was a decent game a freakish catch and a great interception in the end.

sorry if I spoiled it

20. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Bury it. seriously. If your really that worried, just make sure nobody sees you and it's somewhere that won't look like the ground has been recently disturbed. Pot plants, under newly sodden grass or underneath your newly installed fish pond. Just make sure it's double sealed or better yet vacuum sealed.

Unless someone knows your stacking though they aren't more likely to target you than anyone else. It also means they are also likely to give up when they have as much as they can carry. They're much more likely to steal your TV and your gun. You could think about putting some bulky electronics that look new that they will fill up on and leave with. Think old computers in fancy looking cases, you can use them as media players. Similar story with one of those cheap second hand Sony stereos with the big looking speakers and ridiculous lights.

Don't get a safe unless you have a plan to hide it, a safe is s big blinking rob me sign to everyone who sees it.