If you were 100% silver.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by intelligencer, Dec 6, 2010.

1. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Has anyone looked into how much silver you could have if you were 100% silver, instead of other metals or mining shares.

For me, if I'd invested 100% into silver (at approximately the price at the time) instead of other investments and shares I'd have the problem of storing an obscene amount of silver that I'd be embarassed to write down publicly. But in another way it shows up just how much I've lost by being in the other investments.

If I had actually followed Maloney's scenario of selling up my house, investment property (paying off loan and keeping equity), one of my cars and went abolutely all in with everything except my belongings and one other car; I'd have to store a total of 2.1 tonnes of silver debt free in the place I'd be renting.

Wonder what you could buy with that when it went to the moon? Would anyone dare to follow Maloneys advice??

Has anyone done the sums for themselves? Would you dare?

2. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Interesting... did you calculate the 2.1T on spot at the time of getting into each alternate form of investment or based on a flat spot? And are you calculating this by your current equity in your alternate investments or only the capital you, yourself have invested? Sorry if i've missed something.

3. intelligencer

2.1T at spot+12.5% the time I read about it and could have acted in that way. I still could but I think it's one of those make you or break you things. Every egg in the one basket. Today it might be 10% less taking into account spot price and current equity etc. Just shows you how much you can lose just by doing nothing.

To be honest its not something I would do, or could do just on principal. I hope Maloney's idea is just a thought experiment, but I see people selling up houses and putting the money in the bank to rent and wait for house prices to tumble. So why not put it into silver if you aren't against a bit of risk? Maybe it does have legitimacy.

Would anyone do it though?

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm 100% silver.100 x $10 silver coins,& a couple of different 1oz coins
    That's enough of silver for me for now,Now I need some gold.
    Well nearly 100% .a couple of 9ct jewellery pieces.

5. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

I am 98% silver 2% in Gold in my investment profolio. I was thinking 100% silver but consider that holding gold will be very difficult in the long run, it is not a bad idea to hold some of it. But my main investment is silver.:)

6. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Im probably 3-5% invested in PM, of that probably 99% Ag and 1% Au (I think i need to diversify a little :) ). Looking back at spot at the time of initial investment in the alternatives and the comparable growth over time, Ag has outperformed all alternate investments to the tune of 25-200% in the same period. It certainly does show how much of a theoretical loss i have made, though you have to make the decisions that feel and sit right with you at the time and I guess like most of the people say that "discovered" PM post 20USD... its better late than never!

Going back to the hyperthetical, total Ag holdings if i had invested in Ag over the alternatives, would be around the 1.1T mark *sob*. That's a hellava lotta metal to stack and store!

7. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

Why do you say that?[/quote]
    You are right. I shouldn't say that. :) I love both metals but i just don't have the means to accumulate much gold that's y i saaaay that.

8. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not me. I'd be kicking myself and be aging prematurely with every volatile price change silver has made. I'd make you schizo!

Lets not kid ourselves, we're really just betting on the market for PM's going up and there's risk associated with any bet. Silver's got the better return..if it crosses the finishline, but gold is always in the quinella and platinum the trifecta. Spread your bets better your odds.

Silver's reimergence still isn't a given. Serious market and political interference may sink our plans to make it rich with PM's.

And the end-game will always be ....gold.

9. Silver is Money

Silver is Money Member Silver Stacker

I must admit that I did do the exercise of doing exactly what MM suggested after reading his book and for me it was just too risky. Plus I'd never be able to convince my wife to do it anyway... and let's be honest that's all that matters ;)

I've got enough grey hairs from the kids over the past 25 years, so the last thing I needed was to lose what hair I have left worrying about how much I may have earned/lost given the volitility of PM's.

But geez, just imagine the payday if you could handle the risk. Talk about living like a rock star :D

10. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I saw the term used 'sleep at night factor'. Very important I think. The general advice almost everyone has is 20 percent of assets in PMs - and that silver is a speculation.

11. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

My PM's are 99.5% silver, 0.5% gold. Then I also have a share portfolio. Not going to have 100% exposure to 1 investment thanks very much.

12. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

gbickle did just that, intelligencer. sounds like he sold his house and bought 10000oz. all since 1st november. his 300kg stack gave me stack envy. gutsy move, but he may be less risk-averse than i. but he's also increased the value of the inital stack, thats for sure!

13. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

...@ today's prices of $30/oz, i'd have to find space for almost 70000oz. about 2100kg... that'd be a bloody big hole in my backyard...

14. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

At the start of my stacking career, I was contemplating of going 90% silver and 10% gold. In the end I went for 70% silver, 20% gold and 10% palladium and I'm happy with this set up.

Although 100% silver would give you a maximum growth (not counting palladium) and liquidity. When you have 100% invested in something, you'll lose flexibility. In my opinion you do need a variety of metals (at the very least Gold and Silver) in your precious metal portfolio.

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I am about 85% Gold, Silver & related mining stocks. I was split about 50-50, but the mining stocks have been outperforming the physical pms. I tried to sell my house and was going to put the equity into gold, but the house is on a busy street in a tough market and I could not have gotten fair value. Of course, I am single and it would be far easier for me to move than someone with a family, schools, etc.

The sheer quantity of silver would make storage very difficult. Plus, I believe silver mining stock share prices are going to be insance at the end of the pm bull market. BTW, how many troy ounces are in a ton?

16. intelligencer

12 troy ounces to a troy pound which is therefore 373,24 grams
    16 avoirdupois ounces to a pound which is heavier at 453,59 grams

1,000,000 grams in a tonne.

2679 troy pounds and 32150 troy ounces to a tonne.

17. Bulawan pilak

Bulawan pilak New Member

I am 99% Silver and 1% Gold........I would like to build up the Gold stores....the funny thing is I got inot precious metals to invest only in Gold but after doing the research I went with Silver.....I like Chimpanchu's approach as it seems Palladium is the metal to have at the moment.

As far as selling my house.....after you buy and then turn around to rent, which we did for 12 months to move States, I think anyone would appreciate just calling a house your home. I could never sell my house to put all into any other investment....

18. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

It would be hard for me to calculate the amount of silver I would own, because there wasn't a defining moment to go all in until about September 1st. I was mostly in within the last three years, but it was in stages. Best guess for me is more than 1 ton but far less than 2 tons.

19. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

I would never sell my house and invest the money into PM because my house isn't a house it's our home. I owe nothing on it, if I want to add on a room pull down a wall build a shed change the garden build a pergola or make a thousand other changes I can and I don't have to ask anyones permissiopn or worry that one day someone will come along and say I can't stay there anymore. No amount of money can replace that.
    Having said all that when we were younger we often used the equity in our home to finance other investment projects, that way we still had the home and could do the investment

20. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Your lucky. Here in the US, there are zoning laws. If someone wants to add a room or make other significant changes, it must be approved by the local government.