I will pay off my credit card in 83 years and pay over 2 billion in interest!!!

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by hardyakkagold, May 23, 2020 at 4:01 AM.

1. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Member

Well in 83 years and 3 months, and pay $2,090,706,678.18 in interest to be precise, according to my latest NAB credit card statement!

That is assuming I pay only the minimum 0.5 % payment on my credit card balance of $20,000.
    The bank in their infinite generosity has decided to lower my minimum payments from 2.5% to just 0.5%, to show how much they care during these difficult times.

Previously, if paying only the minimum repayments of 2.5% over 83 years , the interest charged would have been a measly $103,971.63 according to my previous statements.

That my fellow stackers is the brutal power force of compounding interest at work for all to see,
    if you are only paying 6% per annum back to the bank and they are charging you 21% interest.

It would be interesting to see what the monthly repayments would go up to over the years if only the half a percent was being payed back for the term of the loan, it would be in the millions at some stage I would assume.

But fear not stackers, the bankers have not got me by the short and curlies, it is actually the other way around.
    The NAB offered me a 0% balance transfer in Feb for 18 months, so I went out and splurged out on the shiny metals on my other credit cards and then transferred the amounts to my two NAB credit cards.

When the 18 months is up, I will transfer the amounts back to the other credit cards, or in a worst case scenario if the other banks are not offering low or no interest balance transfers, I will have to sell some physical to pay off the debts.

I have been doing this for the past 10 years, and will continue to do so for as long as it is available.

Happy stacking everyone.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 4:12 AM
  2. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just remember make transactions under $5000 ATO limit before they start tracking you...

3. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nothing illegal about buying metals on credit

4. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No, but ATO will be on you once you make heafty profit!

66rounds likes this.
  5. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Member

What gets up my nose about this lowering of the minimum repayments, is that the NAB bank does not even consult you to see if you are financially impacted by the coronavirus shutdowns, before making these changes to your repayments.

At least Westpac ( which I have my home loan with ) had the decency to phone me up (even if it was late at night ) to ask me if I would like a repayment holiday.

I can see a lot of struggling low income earners being sucked in to making only the new minimum repayments with NAB, without considering the repercussions of their actions on future interest charges.

Silver260, Gresham's Law and 66rounds like this.