I thought I understood Krugerrands, but...

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by hyphenated, Nov 13, 2012.

1. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

Easy enough, I thought.

Pretty-much the first bullion coin, and a sneaky way of getting gold out of SA in the late-sixties.

The first low-premium user-accessible gold in easy 1 oz chunks, it changed the course of stacking in a radical way (if you want to get philosophical).

Design - Antelopey animal on one side, guy with big beard on t'other - Check. No obvious variations.

Has specific tax treatments in various places - no VAT in the UK (but CGT). Is 22 carat so attracts GST here (although I'm not clear on whether that is partial).

The things I didn't know include that there were proofs (the first year 1967 had 10,000 against a run of 50,000 - but check out 1978, the same number of proofs for over 6 *million* krugers. Gulp). Variations in the proof designs (frosting, reeding et cetera) as the mint refined it's approach.

Another thing I didn't know was that The South African Gold Coin Exchange were slabbing proof Krugerrand years before the NGC using a Grading system with a maximum of 105.

I'm somewhat surprised that the premiums are not higher for the proofs. You can pick up bullion Krugers at spot+2% in the UK for ten and over, and then there are slabbed proofs on eBay at a couple of thousand US, which is only 16% above spot.

Is this an example of fashion at work, or a saturated market, or a general lack of numismatic knowledge on my part?

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Krugs have never had any numismatic value attached to them like say the Sovereign has. I dare say this non numismatic value for the bullion Krugs has flowed over so that the proofs just have no love either !

3. MetalMensch

MetalMensch Member Silver Stacker

Have to admit, I don't feel the desire to own them. I don't see value in them really.

4. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I like them, but like the 1/2oz and above better than the 1/10.