I received a $1 bill in change and was given a piece of history

Discussion in 'Banknotes' started by Mel427, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Mel427

Mel427 New Member

I visited my LCS yesterday to make my usual payday purchase of silver. After paying for my purchase, my dealer gives me three heavily circulated $1 silver certificates as part of my change.

One of the notes was a 1935 series with a bunch of names written on it. When I got home I took a closer look at that note. Many of the names on the bill were faded or because of where the wrote on it illegible but I was able to make out a few of them along with the words, England, Durham Castle and the date, 9/3/45. Being somewhat of a military history buff, I realized that what I was holding was possibly an American serviceman's "short snorter", or a keep sake of where he was and who he was with on the day Japan signed the formal surrender documents that ended WW II.

A google search of Durham Castle showed that it was a command and observation post for the RAF. It is possible that the notes owner was a technician or liaison officer assigned to work with the RAF. Fortunately for me, Durham Castle is part of Durham University and it is reported to have a very good history department. I have contacted them to see if they can shed some light on the notes possible owner or if some of the people named on the note are still alive. To me at least there is the potential for a good story and if possible, giving the note to one of the signers and hopefully bring back pleasant memories of friends and days gone by.

2. AGgressive Metal

AGgressive Metal New Member

I've seen a number of these. From what little research I've done, everyone in a squad would sign a foreign or US banknote and give it to the youngest man in the unit. He had to present upon request or buy everyone a round! At least this is what I've read online - I'm sure some short snorters were simply keepsakes.