I got bit!

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by SilverKendo, Apr 5, 2014.

1. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Hello all,

So I got bit today by the gold bug. Here is a little about me, my stacking, bartering with gold and my first gold coin I've had in a while.

I have a stack of 90% US silver coins from my great grandmother's house. When I was a kid and we cleaned out her house when she got sick I found a pretty decent stack of silver coins. There was also one gold coin in there. It wasn't anything rare and I don't really remember what it was exactly but a small US gold coin. It was mostly worth spot no real numi value. A few years ago my mother starting going to a chiropractor. They became friends and he stopped charging her anything. He still does not charge her a dime for his services. He is a coin collector so she asked me if I minded if she gave him the gold coin. At the time I didn't care (to be honest I still wouldn't today since he and his wife have been so nice to mom) and said go for it. I hadn't seen the coin since childhood so I hadn't held a gold coin of my own for a long time. I of course liked looking at gold coins at the LCS but never asked to hold anything since it was out of my price range.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I started stacking for all the various reasons (hedge against my other investments, store of wealth, easy to branch off from my numi collection, liked the idea of holding my investment in hand, etc.). I liked PMs and decided for every 5 oz of silver of a certain coin I bought I would get the 1/10 oz gold counterpart. Well last PM buying cycle I finished my silver stacking phase and I am now in my gold stacking phase. I just got my first gold 1/10 oz coin in the post today. It is a 2013 philharmonic. The coin is very small. It is just a bit smaller than a US dime. In spite of the small size it is a pleasure to hold and look at! I fear I have been bitten by the gold bug. Gold is generally out of my price range except a 1/10 oz coin here and there but it sure is nice. I see why people have coveted it for such a long time. I am off into a brave new stacking direction!

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's something unique about gold... it's only once you've gotten bitten that you'll understand what "Gold Fever" really is :cool: