Huge divide between Spot and Physical

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 1for1, May 6, 2011.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Ive just checked out you have a site so will inspect later this evening.

Lovin the energy and spirit of this forum ive got to say

1for1.

2. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What little product that I am able to source this month is going out as quickly as it arrives. No chance to even list it in my store as I have a very long wish list from my regulars.
    Come back in about 4 - 6 weeks time and I should have thousands of ozs of silver coins and bars for sale in my store.
    Will be competing with every dealer, site sponsor and forum members for your buck.
    Can only be good for members as increased competition and supply will definitely lower prices.

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Absolutley... competition is the heart of Capitilism and a prospering community so well done to everyone here for keeping prices lower than we would otherwise be facing.

Well hopefully i can get in on your next batch of personalised rounds, let me know how i can go about doing this please.

Thanks again,

1for1

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Annoying now how spot is $35 Aus and the cheapest 1oz silver is about $40 or 14.2% over spot!

I suppose a $5 premium over spot isnt so bad when all production costs are considered.

1for1

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

What is annoying is when i remember umming and ahhing over the price of a $20 1oz coin not that long ago when spot was below $20

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I still don't understand why you think that this is a big markup? You are looking at the international wholesale price for a large raw ingot and then complaining that someone charges an extra $5.00 to melt it down, mint it into a 1oz coin or round and then retail it. You might as well look up the wholesale price of a container load of timber and then walk into a furniture shop and tell them that you are annoyed that you can't buy a table for the same price a few lumps of 4x2, purchased at a container lot price. How on earth does someone buy a building, a crucible, presses, pay for die design and fabrication, pay their staff, power, insurances and all the other costs of a manufacturing business, and then how does a retailer make any money buying that coin from a factory to stock in their shop for you to buy?

Spot is a guide to relative price movements only. It has nothing to do with retail. 14.2% mark up is VERY cheap compared to every other retail item that you buy every day unless it is a clearance sale item. If 14.2 percent annoys you, then for your own peace of mind don't buy a cup of coffee from a cafe, you would feel utter outrage if you knew how much mark-up in on that cup.

7. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I've been buying my silver in junk form mostly since the drop in June. Very little premium and excellent variety. However lately the markup has been only 2 -3 dollars for a round. And at the vcbe I grabbed a Maple for just over 3 bucks over spot. Now that the premium is more manageable I'm moving back into bars and maples.

8. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

i think everyone with half a brain realizes most of our "stuff" is being made in china at much lower prices then what we pay. However if you look at Walmart they are only making 3-4% net on sales i believe. I think that counts in everything(advertisement money ect), but still not an outrageous percentage to profit.

9. hyperinflation

hyperinflation New Member Silver Stacker

hmmm... according to my ebay summary, I've purchased 15k worth of gold and silver in the past 2 months.. and all of it has been at spot or less.

If you're prepared to put in the time to search for stuff, then you'll find bargains everywhere.

10. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

There is no intention to create any divide. Selling numismatic coins does not make unallocated storage more attractive - no one buys numismatic coins as a pure silver investment vehicle. That is a straw man argument. Your theory has no basis when you consider:

1. We shut down unallocated silver.
    2. When our Kook limited mintage silver bullion coin started to sell out, we created the unlimited Koala silver bullion coin.
    3. We are in the process of expanding not only our bullion coin capacity but also our silver bar capacity, silver bars being the cheapest form of metal.

If paper is a license to print money, why did we close unallocated, introduce a more expensive storage silver product AND continue to make and expand our physical silver business?

11. typhoon

typhoon New Member

Well put and I have to agree with you 100% jungfraujock. I started mid last year and bought a few thousand ounces of bullion bars in 10 to 100oz sizes, then PM couldn't supply for 3 months so I began buying coins, rounds, 1oz bars and some gold ones as well. I hardly even look at the bullion any more. But the coins and rounds are a different story, just something about them I guess. I still hope the pundits are right about the escalation of silver but I will leave that up to the bars to accumulate any gains, the coins are different. I wouldn't sell them regardless of where the so called spot price (which I am now convinced is a bankers con) may go.

12. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

13. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

What if the world does run out of silver due to an enormous demand for investment? - but there is still a real need for industrial uses - could not some governments decide that it is illegal to own/stack silver and force people to sell back to the government? In desperate times any scenario is possible~!
    All they have to do is make it a criminal offence to possess a certain amount of silver (a bit like drugs or guns!) and most ordinary law abiding citizens, rather than risk imprisonment would own up to their cache. :eek:
    Of course, they would buy it back at a price they set, not real market value!

14. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just like the Nazis did.

15. hyperinflation

If silver ever reaches those prices, then either it will become economical to recycle it, or the market will find a substitute

16. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

Looking at how much Asia is buying at the moment and the demand rising in western countries, I can see the supply of 'physical' silver running out a lot sooner than predicted.

Jungfrau reckons that 50% of silver mined is lost for ever, I can see that in many areas of industrial uses like solder it would be too difficult to recycle and many of its uses would be in a chemical form not the metal form. Gold does not form salts as easily as silver and does not have the many chemical uses that silver has and is therefore used mainly in the metal form and easier to recycle.

17. hyperinflation

At the right price, even the 'difficult' forms of recycling become worth it.. and in salt form, silver can still be extracted with the right acid (obtained at the right price).

A high enough price encourages innovation.. Remember, before the Hall-Hroult process was developed, Aluminium was more valuable than gold.. which encouraged the development of the process. Could just as easily happen with silver recycling

18. typhoon

typhoon New Member

Quite right you are Jung. Excellent DVD, I saved it to my you tube favourites. I have been thinking lately about working on the gold stack as I only have a random selection of 1/10, 1/20, 1/4 and 1/2 oz coins, and a couple of 10gm bars presently. Its hard to know because gold costs a lot more and goes up more slowly % wise so you get a lot less to look at. Have to find a balance between economic common sense and a bloody expensive hobby hey?

19. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

@ projack .... the nazi's did what? Make it a criminal offence to possess a certain amount of silver? Or buy silver back at the price they (governments) set rather than market value? Or something else? This is a genuine query by the way. Not a challenge to your statement.

20. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

I've noticed recently over the past 2 weeks (just my personal opinion which I can't verify) that on Silverstackers the bargain drought seems to have ended, with prices for goods sold on the forum going back to pre-frenzy levels, with the occasional bargain appearing as it always use to.

Immediately after the silver price crash of 2011 the premiums to spot on all the precious metals traded on the forum became absurdly high with buyers going nuts and paying crazy prices.

Its good to see premiums are on average back to normal and I can continue to buy on the forum rather than from shop front dealers. I recently made a purchase and don't have cash left at the moment but will continue to keep an eye on trades in the forum.