Howdy

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Chubbsng, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Chubbsng

Chubbsng Member Silver Stacker

Howdy folks

I have been browsing the site for a few days and finally registered. I have already gained many insights from the forums and appreciate the info so many people provide.

I have half randomly decided to start buying gold and silver in the last 2 weeks mainly for fun. Although I do hope to see some long term gain on my purchases, I've just starting buying things which seem cool to me.

I've so far bought PAMP silver bars. PAMP silver and gold lunar sets and some of the PAMP jewellery. The Swiss thing seemed interesting. I think I might start piecing together some American Eagle coin sets and Kangaroo sets too.

Anyway, thanks for stuff!
    John

2. Casper

Casper Active Member

Welcome and enjoy your collecting

3. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi there :)

5. Gazza79

Gazza79 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome :)

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome.

Kangaroo sets start off pretty cheap for the earlier releases but the more recent ones are very expensive if you get them at the issue price but on the secondary market they can be picked up for almost half the ticket price.

The problem with trying to put together sets is that you generally overspend. 90% of the sets can be picked up for a pretty reasonable price, but the last 10% are either low mintage, or had a popular design or for whatever reason, are way more expensive than others. You get into the mentality of completing your set so you tend to spend a lot of time hunting the last few down and paying whatever it costs, just so you can complete the set.

If you are just doing it for the challenge or a bit of fun then there is no harm done but if you are hoping to be able to sell the complete set for a premium then you might find that the market for complete sets is not that big. For a bit of fun and to illustrate that there is not much of a challenge to collecting coin sets I went on to eBay and over a couple of hours I managed to find every decimal RAM set released for the combined "Buy it Now' total of just over $2000. There was no challenge at all, just throw a bit of money at the project and you can have an instant coin set.

The same will go for American Eagles, if you don't mind paying a bit extra to have some of them shipped all the way over from the US you should be able to put together a set pretty easily, there are a couple of varieties to look out for but you should be able to put one together. But they will all look the same and they are not a popular coin compared to some others, very high mintages, same design each year etc.

You have started out on the high end stuff, I still haven't got any PAMPs, it is an interesting hobby but it can be very expensive and it looks like you have expensive tastes :)

7. Chubbsng

Chubbsng Member Silver Stacker

Thanks very much, that is some great info. Especially considering I don't really know what's what yet.

I guess I learn everything by just getting out there and doing it. Of the things I've already bought I have most likely already overpaid but I will fine tune the art.

And expensive tastes.....my bloody life story.

Cheers

8. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Hi and welcome.

9. SilverTounge15

SilverTounge15 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the community